2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turntaker

HSC
in all srsness, look at the key words, deconstruct and figure out what it's saying

i really should sleep now lol
Nah that's not even my question. I forgot what the actually question was

turntaker

HSC
Hawk. Not everyone has band 6 English ability.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
all 2015ers in this thread atm: go to sleep

Fiction

HSC
I don't always agree with your views, but this is the first time I do.

I was moreso referring to those who've continued using derogatory words incessantly, perhaps once or twice is ok. :haha: And I definitely wasn't trying to be elitist either lol.
Doubt this is the first time you've agreed with my views ;) And if it is, then I've finally started to work my magic on you :p

Disagreed. I might be a bit biased since turntaker's was in one of my failed study groups and thus I'm = more sympathetic towards him than some random person I don't ~know~ on the net, but the people who you've labeled as ones who've continued using derogatory words incessantly, include those who haven't yet realised about the implications behind such language. Like what I've mentioned in my previous post (which you agreed with), such vocab has become the norm.

In turntaker's case I think he didn't realise the extent of how offensive some of his language were (no offense tho, it escalated pretty quickly :/) however, I legit don't know anyone who's willing to conform to another person's expectation if they're almost forced or pressured into it. It's the standard scenario of 'I told you so' that everyone wants to avoid.

Besides what exactly is your definition of derogatory? Is it politically uncorrect language? I've seen other people use gay or retard, policeman, postman etc on this forum and no one's blown up at them to this extent. What's so special about turntaker if I may ask?

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC
Doubt this is the first time you've agreed with my views ;) And if it is, then I've finally started to work my magic on you :p

Disagreed. I might be a bit biased since turntaker's was in one of my failed study groups and thus I'm = more sympathetic towards him than some random person I don't ~know~ on the net, but the people who you've labeled as ones who've continued using derogatory words incessantly, include those who haven't yet realised about the implications behind such language. Like what I've mentioned in my previous post (which you agreed with), such vocab has become the norm.

In turntaker's case I think he didn't realise the extent of how offensive some of his language were (no offense tho, it escalated pretty quickly :/) however, I legit don't know anyone who's willing to conform to another person's expectation if they're almost forced or pressured into it. It's the standard scenario of 'I told you so' that everyone wants to avoid.

Besides what exactly is your definition of derogatory? Is it politically uncorrect language? I've seen other people use gay or retard, policeman, postman etc on this forum and no one's blown up at them to this extent. What's so special about turntaker if I may ask?
Oh. Hawk and I are mates. Its all good. I was just trolling cause people were getting so mad haha.

I like your essay though haha.

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC
lol magic :haha: gud 4 u den :p

Are you disagreeing with my statement of not being elitist? Or did you make the assumption I'm not sympathetic enough? Please clarify.

I believe being derogatory is conveying a critical and disrespectful attitude using those pejorative words. I won't deny that terms like gay and retard and Jew have been meliorated in our society, but to be honest, it varies according to the context - everyone's interpretation of derogatory language is different.

Turntaker is moreso misunderstood - trust me, it's not just me that got somewhat irritated, quite a few did as well. Look, maybe I went too far, but I'm not going to bother trying to shove my opinion down his throat - you can only do so much with what you argue, and at the end of the day, it's up to the respondent to make that judgement themselves. I will admit, turntaker IRL with his jokes are funny to say the least. :haha:
Dude. Just stop with the essays. :( its scaring me

Fiction

HSC
Oh. Hawk and I are mates. Its all good. I was just trolling cause people were getting so mad haha.

I like your essay though haha.
Whatever floats you boat c: My little ragefest was more in context due to another thread at which things escalated to the point of being ridiculous.

lol magic :haha: gud 4 u den :p

Are you disagreeing with my statement of not being elitist? Or did you make the assumption I'm not sympathetic enough? Please clarify.

I believe being derogatory is conveying a critical and disrespectful attitude using those pejorative words. I won't deny that terms like gay and retard and Jew have been meliorated in our society, but to be honest, it varies according to the context - everyone's interpretation of derogatory language is different.

Turntaker is moreso misunderstood - trust me, it's not just me that got somewhat irritated, quite a few did as well. Look, maybe I went too far, but I'm not going to bother trying to shove my opinion down his throat -you can only do so much with what you argue, and at the end of the day, it's up to the respondent to make that judgement themselves. I will admit, turntaker IRL with his jokes are funny to say the least. :haha:
Not to sure why I have to clarify. Either way it doesn't affect your or my argument :haha:

Ok then, going by your definition of derogatory then, if I were to say, be offended if you use words like postman or mailman or mankind or 'dude' or 'guys' when addressing females, because I believe it's patriarchal, are you going to stop using those words? How about if I find the word "attitude" annoying and offensive? Would you stop using that word? Although these examples seem somewhat more extreme than what has occurred, I believe the same message is present - that is, someone or some group wants to push their values and expectations on an unrelated individual.

It's also somewhat hypocritical that you believe everyone's interpretation of derogatory varies and yet you expect turntaker's idea of derogatory words to be the same as yours - otherwise you wouldn't be pushing your opinion on him.

That being said, doing the above mentioned in itself I don't believe is necessarily wrong, how you go about doing so is a different matter.

Still don't get why people were raging over turntaker's post and no the other hundred posts containing similar language.

Lastly, just would like to point out that by referencing turntaker's IRL jokes, you're implying somehow that terms like 'gay' are funny IRL but not on the net? Seems a bit contradictory since otherwise turntaker's "jokes" have no relevance to this argument ...?

Either way, as long as Turntaker isn't feeling uncomfortable I don't mind~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)