2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiction

HSC
It isn't recommended. Major works require lots of time and effort.

Eng ext 2 major works are a solid 3000 - 4000 words, and VA requires you to work on your ART project for a few months

It is kinda suicidal
Idk, I've taken VA since year 7 and I feel the time management is overrated. You get practically half a year to do it anyways. Maybe I'm just slightly deluded xD;

I understand that eng ext 2 requires alot of work but somehow I can't take it seriously when all eng creatives are already 800-1k words in length anyways xD Personally this translates to only around 3-5x more the effort. Obv it isn't, but since I haven't experienced the panic yet I can't seem to convince myself it isn't lol. Besides the fact that your major work translates to 100% ofyour marks seems somewhat attractive haha xD

CanU_Not

HSC
Hello hello hello my name is lauren and this is my first post so hopefully I'm doing it right????? my question isn't really about a specific subject so idk

so for the HSC i'm picking up ext 2 english, which means I'll have 14 units, 2 of which i'm looking to drop. I'm tossing up between ancient history and visual arts. I'm rank 1 in art and my teacher said she thinks i can definitely get a band 6, my only problem being that with ext 2 i will have 2 major works. for ancient i think i'm roughly rank 7 of the two classes, but i've had a lot of problems with my teacher to the point where i hate being in the classroom but the hsie head teacher refuses to let me move classes. i like the content in ancient but i don't know if i can go another year in that class.
so basically,
if i drop ancient and keep art i will have 2 major projects, the ext i will aim to more or less finish in the christmas holidays though.
if i drop art and keep ancient and die in that class for the year will it scale better assuming i do well? my school is kind of secretive about scaling so i've got no idea what's up with it

sorry if this is on the wrong forum!!!
thank you :)
If you don't think you can handle working independently for the entire year for ancient, drop it. I know enoilgam raised the issue of learning to cope with bad colleagues/ bosses but imho it's not worth jeopardizing your HSC (as negative emotions aren't limited to just that one subject and will often spread in some way to contaminate some other aspect of your lifestyle) or your health to keep a subject you enjoy. If you're interested in ancient, you can always study it in your spare time :)

Put it this way, if ancient really is as bad as it sounds like, do you want to try and handle two major works or two units of history to self-learn?

mp2250

HSC
looking forward to my first senior science lesson :)
i'm having a conflict over whether to drop modern history, agriculture or japanese continuers

i'm tempted to pick up history extension, but it's on at really inopportune times (on wednesday afternoons, which are basically the sacred senior free periods and my time to do notes, etc, and early on mondays which are the blessed days where i don't need to get to school at 7:55) and it'd mean i'd have 13 units (if i don't drop anything after all)

CanU_Not

HSC
SO excited for Week 2 and the freeeeeeeees that will inevitably follow :) :) :) Although VA's being really nice this week so I feel somewhat guilty for dropping it.

FancyPenguin

HSC
Re: Year 11 2014 Chat :)

Should I drop to General Maths? I got my yearly result for mathematics back and got 34% and since I had a breakdown my dad said that maybe I should drop...but idk :s should I risk trying tutoring in mathematics to try and help me get at least to 70% or should I drop down to General?

btw..i don't know if i CAN achieve at least 70% within a few months when i've been consistently getting 30%-45% all year...and consistently failing since halfway through year 10
If you understand the content then keep trying but if you don't understand the content it's better to drop to general unless you think you'll be able to relearn the stuff you didn't understand

Fiction

HSC
SO excited for Week 2 and the freeeeeeeees that will inevitably follow :) :) :) Although VA's being really nice this week so I feel somewhat guilty for dropping it.
That's what they're going for ;) Week 1 is like the opportunity week for all facilities to make all them drop outs second guess ;o

I'm kiddingggg :p

Fiction

HSC
Re: Year 11 2014 Chat :)

Should I drop to General Maths? I got my yearly result for mathematics back and got 34% and since I had a breakdown my dad said that maybe I should drop...but idk :s should I risk trying tutoring in mathematics to try and help me get at least to 70% or should I drop down to General?

btw..i don't know if i CAN achieve at least 70% within a few months when i've been consistently getting 30%-45% all year...and consistently failing since halfway through year 10
Maths is all about practise. Unless you feel you're not grasping the concepts at all (which I can totally relate with - but on another subject), then I wouldn't suggest dropping to general. Consider whether if this is the only assessment that you did relatively worser in or whether you've been constantly doing badly in the subject etc before you makey our decision. You may be just freaking out on a on off occasion.

CanU_Not

HSC
That's what they're going for ;) Week 1 is like the opportunity week for all facilities to make all them drop outs second guess ;o

I'm kiddingggg :p
Apparently some schools start in Week 3, so I'm gonna get my act together to prep for a potential assessment in week 4 lols.

enoilgam

HSC
I know enoilgam raised the issue of learning to cope with bad colleagues/ bosses but imho it's not worth jeopardizing your HSC (as negative emotions aren't limited to just that one subject and will often spread in some way to contaminate some other aspect of your lifestyle) or your health to keep a subject you enjoy.
In the future, the consequences will be the same if not worse. At uni, a bad lecturer or group can cause you to fail (saw both happen to a few good students). In uni, a fail costs time, money (over a grand in many cases) and worse of all it can make you ineligible for some graduate programs. At work, it's even worse because you are surrounded with it every day and you rely on a job for your livelihood.

I agree that if it's making you feel really lousy, then you should drop. But if it's because of you dont want to risk your HSC, then that is a weak excuse because there are situations where the risk is higher.

mp2250

HSC
i hope that teachers bring back gold stars and stickers, i feel like i need that sort of support during the hsc </3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)