2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekman

HSC
Does anyone else instantly lose respect for people that do general maths?

I was having a conversation at a party last night with some guy who had just finished his HSC. He said he studied 24/7 but he managed to get good ranks in his cohort and was 1st in maths, I was pretty impressed and I asked him what he thought of the maths ext2 exam. He told me he did general maths. At this point I was trying my hardest not to burst out laughing but then I realized it's not his fault he's dumb it's probably just his poor genes, I guess not everyone can be blessed like me. I asked him why he did general maths and he said that he was doing 2U but found it too hard so he dropped down to general. I started laughing but managed to pretend like I was coughing and went to get a drink of water, I doubt he was smart enough to even notice. Avoided him for the rest of the night.
I don't get it, why should I lose respect for people doing general maths, you haven't explained your perspective.

usa

HSC

I was having a conversation at a party last night with some guy who had just finished his HSC. He said he studied 24/7 but he managed to get good ranks in his cohort and was 1st in maths, I was pretty impressed and I asked him what he thought of the maths ext2 exam. He told me he did general maths. At this point I was trying my hardest not to burst out laughing but then I realized it's not his fault he's dumb it's probably just his poor genes, I guess not everyone can be blessed like me. I asked him why he did general maths and he said that he was doing 2U but found it too hard so he dropped down to general. I started laughing but managed to pretend like I was coughing and went to get a drink of water, I doubt he was smart enough to even notice. Avoided him for the rest of the night.
As a James Ruse student who studied Extension 2 Mathematics and enjoyed the exam, I would not lose respect at all for this person just because he did General Mathematics...

band6man

HSC
Considering I did 0 units of maths for the past two years and am perfectly confident I will achieve more than enough to get into my course and be on my way to my dream job.... erm no.
Well if your aspirations are that low I really don't have much to say to you, I'm not sure I would be comfortable with someone like you teaching my children to be honest. I guess we need people to teach the layman subjects though.

band6man

HSC
Considering I did 0 units of maths for the past two years and am perfectly confident I will achieve more than enough to get into my course and be on my way to my dream job.... erm no.
Well if your aspirations are that low I really don't have much to say to you, I'm not sure I would be comfortable with someone like you teaching my children to be honest. I guess we need people to teach the layman subjects though.

Ekman

HSC
he's trolling
Tbh I cringe whenever I see someone thinking they are more superior than another person just because they do 4u maths, or any other higher difficulty courses.

Ekman

HSC
I thought it was obvious, do I really have to spell it out for you man?

Not actually trolling I'm just a little bit arrogant sorry
I think he assumed that anyone who does General Maths is stupid.
I know what he was saying, but I wanted him to state the reason properly rather than in an anecdote.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I know what he was saying, but I wanted him to state the reason properly rather than in an anecdote.
It was kind of implied in this quote by him:

"He told me he did general maths. At this point I was trying my hardest not to burst out laughing but then I realized it's not his fault he's dumb…"

(Somehow this quote seems a bit like an English quote lol.)

Ekman

HSC
It was kind of implied in this quote by him:

"He told me he did general maths. At this point I was trying my hardest not to burst out laughing but then I realized it's not his fault he's dumb…"

(Somehow this quote seems a bit like an English quote lol.)
Actually, I think the reason he is implying is here:
"not his fault he's dumb it's probably just his poor genes, I guess not everyone can be blessed like me"

I wanted to confirm if this was the reason for his perspective

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Actually, I think the reason he is implying is here:
"not his fault he's dumb it's probably just his poor genes, I guess not everyone can be blessed like me"

I wanted to confirm if this was the reason for his perspective
What do you mean by 'reason' (like, reason for what?)? I thought you initially asked for the reason he disrespected people who do General Maths, so I thought the reason for that was that he assumed people doing General Maths are all stupid (evinced in the quote I gave).

The quote you gave is more of a reason for why he thought someone might be dumb I think.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

So do you consider someone smart for doing Mathematics Advanced and above? Did you ask what other subjects he does? Not everyone is good at Maths and I'm sure he has other strengths. When you say " I guess not everyone can be blessed like me.", it just shows how narcissistic you are.

band6man

HSC
So do you consider someone smart for doing Mathematics Advanced and above? Did you ask what other subjects he does? Not everyone is good at Maths and I'm sure he has other strengths. When you say " I guess not everyone can be blessed like me.", it just shows how narcissistic you are.
I would say so, Mathematics is really the only subject that requires critical thinking skills (Maybe Chem/Phys do to an extent but not really) so his other subjects are irrelevant. The fact is, if you aren't good at maths there's a reason. I might be a little bit narcissistic but I have good reason to be.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I would say so, Mathematics is really the only subject that requires critical thinking skills (Maybe Chem/Phys do to an extent but not really) so his other subjects are irrelevant. The fact is, if you aren't good at maths there's a reason. I might be a little bit narcissistic but I have good reason to be.
I'm not good at math because although getting good marks in junior years, I found no enjoyment in it and subsequently stopped putting in the necessary hours of homework to hone and perfect my skills. I lack nothing but passion for a field in which I have no use for.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Go look at Janek Drevikovsky, just because he didn't do Maths doesn't mean he's not smart, it's actually the complete opposite. This guy who you lost respect for at least done General Maths rather than no Maths at all. Chemistry doesn't require critical thinking (this is coming from a person who done Chemistry), it just shows how little knowledge you have when it comes to other subjects. What is this "good reason" anyway?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

t.
Well that's shallow.

Maths may not be someone's strength...

Maybe it's chem or physics or music or English ....

I lose respect for someone that judges people based on their school or what subject they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)