2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flop21

HSC
guise

just a quick Q

for content heavy subs like legal, modern history and economics, I realised that my content knowledge for all of said subjects is non-existent. and I get that many recommend doing practice essays to improve argumentative flair, but I don't know if that is possible without a solid knowledge of the content. hence why I'm thinking of memorising my notes (because the above subjects except maybe eco is mainly rote learning), and then proceed to doing practice essays leading up to the hsc exams two weeks in advance

thoughts?
Memorise a couple points for each dotpoint. Then start doing practice exams on top of maybe memorising more info on top of your basic understanding.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Well, for eco it is essential to know the content back to front. The flair in your responses usually come from how well you articulate your knowledge, and how well you can make links, not using sophisticated language and philosophical perspectives like in English. So I recommend, learning all of eco, doing a couple of past papers to refine your answers and maybe get into essay writing.
Is this what you did for your trial?

Memorise a couple points for each dotpoint. Then start doing practice exams on top of maybe memorising more info on top of your basic understanding.
Potentially, but I don't know, because I found that there is lots of detail required in the form of evidence to back up your claims, thereby lending itself to more rote learning. I found that modern history is the most content heavy for the humanities, and just has sooo much memorising.

Ekman

HSC
Is this what you did for your trial?

Potentially, but I don't know, because I found that there is lots of detail required in the form of evidence to back up your claims, thereby lending itself to more rote learning. I found that modern history is the most content heavy for the humanities, and just has sooo much memorising.
I basically went through the content and did a few trial papers, to practice MC and Short answer. For the essay, unfortunately I didn't have enough time so I did what mreditor said on his guide about essays.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Ok, say the 5th highest external mark is x
you are coming 5th so it's your own mark (89) + x then divided by 2, i.e the average of 89 + x
Lets say the 1st ranked person gets a mark of y. Since 89 is the highest external mark, they will get the average of y + 89

You won't get stripped of your own mark. It's your mark + the mark your rank corresponds to, then averaged
This is where cohort performance comes into play. You want your cohort to get high marks with the gaps really close
So basically the average of 89 and x is then averaged again with my internal mark?

HSC
So basically the average of 89 and x is then averaged again with my internal mark?
like it was said, your mark is 89
so your mark is averaged with x

the reason I said it in two ways is because you can either think of it as 89 + x, divided by 2 or think of it as the average of 89 + x

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
like it was said, your mark is 89
so your mark is averaged with x

the reason I said it in two ways is because you can either think of it as 89 + x, divided by 2 or think of it as the average of 89 + x
I just got confused because you said that 89 is averaged with the 5th highest external mark and then made another reply that 89 is averaged with my internal mark, so which one is averaged?

HSC
I just got confused because you said that 89 is averaged with the 5th highest external mark and then made another reply that 89 is averaged with my internal mark, so which one is averaged?
I don't think I ever mentioned internal mark o.o

exactly your first statement:
]I just got confused because you said that 89 is averaged with the 5th highest external mark
just remember your rank + your external mark determines what average is taken

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I don't think I ever mentioned internal mark o.o

exactly your first statement:

just remember your rank + your external mark determines what average is taken
So it's just your external mark and the 5th highest external mark is averaged? And that's your final mark? How about your internal mark? Is that useless?

HSC
So it's just your external mark and the 5th highest external mark is averaged? And that's your final mark? How about your internal mark? Is that useless?
final mark: so then the averaged mark goes into the hands of the scaling powers, based on this year's scaling. Example- a 89 averaged English mark might be 92 as your final mark
pretty much, internal are useless as ranks only matter. If internals did matter it would be unfair since schools can give their students easy assessments

Occupied

HSC
N/A
final mark: so then the averaged mark goes into the hands of the scaling powers, based on this year's scaling. Example- a 89 averaged English mark might be 92 as your final mark
pretty much, internal are useless as ranks only matter. If internals did matter it would be unfair since schools can give their students easy assessments
-cough- chem -cough- fml

HSC
edit: internal mark gaps are actually important too

All this is confusing

bleachigo

Everyday is a Trial
HSC
thx m8 , nah not as inspirational as my post trial quote:
"People tell me that that the trials are a once in lifetime experience, i tell them that EVERYDAY IS A TRIAL"
-bleachigo

Ekman

HSC
Btw integrand does that mean its a team effort?
I think it means that the entire cohort has to do well externally in order for every one to align better internally. In other words, the cohort has to work together in achieving high external marks.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Btw integrand does that mean its a team effort?
Yes, need the entire cohort to do as well as possible in externals and try and avoid a big tail (unless you're ranked first internally, in which case you won't get affected by the tail). Probably a good idea to share notes etc. within your cohort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)