2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Why does everyone hate on English here?
I love English as proper subject. I love all the books we've done so far in the past three years (Picture of Dorian Gray, 1984, Heart of Darkness), except for Motorcycle Diaries (god that one is a bore). I love Shakespeare. I love the idea of truly analysing most of these really, really well written, interesting works. But I loath the very way in which we are taught to "analyse". The essays that get full marks in English HSC aren't well written essays, the majority of the time. They're just the syllabus cleverly reworded with some big words thrown in to make it look fancy. I absolutely hate having to memorise quotes, the exams should allow us to bring our texts with us, in my opinion.

In English we are taught to "make up" techniques, come to our own conclusions, then state them as facts in our essays, using a somewhat-related quote as "evidence". We are told that saying something like "The author's use of [...] creates [...]" is the correct way to say "The author's use of [...] can create [...]", which has a completely different meaning. If you contrast English essays to music essays, you'll understand what I mean. In music, we are taught to simply state cleary that which is a fact, and not make up anything related to "intentions of the composer". If a melodic line is angular, you state that it is. You don't go on to say how "the angular melody is a symbol through which Stravinsky expresses his erratic thought process to the listener". Just because that is your interpretation of the text, you cannot state it as if it is fact.

The short answer sections are usually fine. The creative sections are definitely fine. The speeches (internal, I don't know if every school does them) are good too. But the essays are simply false. Honestly, I'd be more okay with them if we were told to write a "persuasive response" rather than being told to "analyse" because what we are expected to do, isn't truly analysing, it's fallacious argument.

//end rant

leehuan

HSC
Lel feels, i was confused on the squirrel cage shit for soo long, had to dig deep in order to fully understand it.
Also lee, iirc you said that it took you a while to understand the reflux prac. Was it the actual theory of reflux or the experiment itself? Coz i just read about it and it doesnt seem so bad
Oh the experiment itself tbh. The chemistry of the reflux prac was easy.

Sorry I just found this!!

Shuuya

HSC
I have an essay due tomorrow and I just spent half an hour going through all the posts I've missed D':

Bestintheworld

HSC
fk English I hate it :mad: well I didn't hate it so much until I got 8/15 for best creative story ever :p

leehuan

HSC
What about the prac was hard?
Confession: Until the leadup to the HSC, I did not know that the condenser was actually two concentric pipes... I thought it was just one.

Thus neither distillation nor reflux made any sense to me

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Okay finished up editing my modern speech
I reckon its a solid 20/20 ahahah
#humblebrag

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Nice!

I wish I could say that about my essay too LOL
I can never tell if my english essays are good or not lol
its like playing russian roulette
i just hope it doesn't wrek me lelel

(shouldn't you be finishing it lele)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)