• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I would've done EX2 over Advanced if that was a thing

Never diss English Extension 2; I respect everyone who does it just as much as I do with Maths Extension 2
I hold equal respect for all arts, but people seem intent on dividing themselves so I just don't speak up.

MilkyCat_

HSC
woo teacher said i absolutely smashed the maths exam
I hope that means rank 1 is mine

leehuan

HSC
I had my 2U exam today, and I am happy to say that I am not suffering from Nailgun syndrome :D
I never really competed against anyone in maths at my school...I just helped cause no matter how much I helped it wasn't possible for FIRST to be uSURPed

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
still feeling robbed for rank 1 chem & bst

consistently 1st for both subjects

dux gets bst award

random dude gets chem 1st place award

???

school is prob racist m8 because there was only one asian who got 1st - music

friend also came second after dux for 2u, but dux got 3u so 2u was free af for him.
-runner up dux white chick gets it
-ripperino tears for the asian hard workers

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
still feeling robbed for rank 1 chem & bst

consistently 1st for both subjects

dux gets bst award

random dude gets chem 1st place award

???

school is prob racist m8 because there was only one asian who got 1st - music
Don't have to be anywhere near close to Asian to be the star musician at your school

turntaker

HSC
I never really competed against anyone in maths at my school...I just helped cause no matter how much I helped it wasn't possible for FIRST to be uSURPed
Hmm. I wonder when you will stop bragging.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
"there was only one asian who got 1st - music"

Though tbh, I can't fully comprehend what you said as a whole
i was saying that there was some bias towards the top ranking awards.

the runner up dux's and dux got most of the 1st places.
I mean, the runner up dux who topped 2u couldn't even do 3u, and my buddy does 4u, and got a higher mark, only coming second after the dux.

but if a student gets an award for an extension subject, they can't get another one for the lower i.e. if you top ext1 english, you can't get one for advanced.
thus, the second place student - my friend, gets it. He has consistently done well i.e. come second for every test, thus by logic he would be second of the entire class.

however, being dux's or runner ups, it wouldn't make sense for a student to not have many 1st place subjects, thus what I mean by bias.

Therefore, it boggles my mind with people getting 1st over me since I consistently topped every exam/assignment for BST & Chem. Although it isn't really that important, I believe the recognition is important and not the award; believing your hard work has placed you at the top of the class rather than the top 5.

leehuan

HSC
i was saying that there was some bias towards the top ranking awards.

the runner up dux's and dux got most of the 1st places.
I mean, the runner up dux who topped 2u couldn't even do 3u, and my buddy does 4u, and got a higher mark, only coming second after the dux.

but if a student gets an award for an extension subject, they can't get another one for the lower i.e. if you top ext1 english, you can't get one for advanced.
thus, the second place student - my friend, gets it. He has consistently done well i.e. come second for every test, thus by logic he would be second of the entire class.

however, being dux's or runner ups, it wouldn't make sense for a student to not have many 1st place subjects, thus what I mean by bias.

Therefore, it boggles my mind with people getting 1st over me since I consistently topped every exam/assignment for BST & Chem. Although it isn't really that important, I believe the recognition is important and not the award; believing your hard work has placed you at the top of the class rather than the top 5.
In my school, what they called the "Cardinal Freeman Award for Excellence" is given out based relatively off both rankings and internal raw marks for each subject.

The dux is determined strictly by ATAR.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
In my school, what they called the "Cardinal Freeman Award for Excellence" is given out based relatively off both rankings and internal raw marks for each subject.

The dux is determined strictly by ATAR.
These are only considering Preliminary Years. Surely they wouldn't consider Preliminary marks towards ATAR.

Basing off both rankings & internal raw marks doesn't make a difference. If you have both the highest, then you basically have the highest ranking in your class.
Thus first place.

leehuan

HSC
Oh.

Even whilst it looks nice, nobody cares too much about prelim dux. I'd be way more concerned if that was used to determine the dux of the school though.

But your point still holds.

ml125

HSC
Nice! :p

Do schools usually give out rankings after each assessment? We don't get to know ranks until they give out half yearly reports
We sometimes get ours but even if we don't you can pretty much get a good idea of rankings since everyone talks about their marks after they get them back lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)