2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Honestly Chemistry content is so more cancerous than Physics.

Too many damn rules in their calculations.

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
When does the hsc exam timetables come out?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
plz tell me hsc chem is better than prelim chem
the topics are interesting (-ish)

but if you're like me and you enjoy rigorous content rather than social aspects, you're gonna hate hsc chem :)

...The amount of times I've been given "you'll learn it at uni" and "don't use that [more correct, and accurate] method because it isn't in the syllabus"...

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I was thinking that BOS should allow students to choose what kind of topics in their courses they want to learn etc.
Of course there would be a minimum, and topics would be scaled on some kind of measurement so that there would be a balance between difficulties, so that people don't just do the easy topics.
This allows students to choose the topics they're most interested in, rather than boring them to death with topics that aren't essential to their future courses/knowledge.

Can someone weigh the advantages and disadvantages of this system? I realise there would be a lot of consequences but I'm wondering on your views.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I was thinking that BOS should allow students to choose what kind of topics in their courses they want to learn etc.
Of course there would be a minimum, and topics would be scaled on some kind of measurement so that there would be a balance between difficulties, so that people don't just do the easy topics.
This allows students to choose the topics they're most interested in, rather than boring them to death with topics that aren't essential to their future courses/knowledge.

Can someone weigh the advantages and disadvantages of this system? I realise there would be a lot of consequences but I'm wondering on your views.
You would need some kind of standard to scale them to, so you would need some 'core topics'.
(Which is basically what we already have in place, except I think you are basically advocating for more elective topics)

Biggest problem I see with having more electives is that the more you have = more combinations, which means its much harder to teach
Right now we have electives, and technically you are free to choose whichever ones, but the school/teacher will generally only teach one.

Basically, it would be very hard to teach if every student has a different combo of electives

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
When does the hsc exam timetables come out?
Should be this week, at least by 28th.

I think they're already finished, just being tweaked I guess.

Someone posted here that they saw them but it went off soon after.

You would need some kind of standard to scale them to, so you would need some 'core topics'.
(Which is basically what we already have in place, except I think you are basically advocating for more elective topics)

Biggest problem I see with having more electives is that the more you have = more combinations, which means its much harder to teach
Right now we have electives, and technically you are free to choose whichever ones, but the school/teacher will generally only teach one.

Basically, it would be very hard to teach if every student has a different combo of electives
Hmm, what if students only participated in class during that topic? Somehow you should be able to fit overlaps of topics to avoid students having too much free time.

I guess with the elective topics it would be compulsory for every student.

EDIT: NVM, honestly it would be more advantageous for some students doing topics that directly relate to the one that they're doing right now. It would be unfair for those who don't possess that kind of knowledge as they didn't do the topic.

Last edited:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Should be this week, at least by 28th.

I think they're already finished, just being tweaked I guess.

Someone posted here that they saw them but it went off soon after.

Hmm, what if students only participated in class during that topic? Somehow you should be able to fit overlaps of topics to avoid students having too much free time.

I guess with the elective topics it would be compulsory for every student.
I guess a solution would be to have different classes for each topic, kind of like they do in America.
i.e. you have an astrophysics class, an electrical physics class etc.
would make timetabling a bitch though

I think it would work better if you had much bigger schools than we do though lelel

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I guess a solution would be to have different classes for each topic, kind of like they do in America.
i.e. you have an astrophysics class, an electrical physics class etc.
would make timetabling a bitch though

I think it would work better if you had much bigger schools than we do though lelel
Yeah I'd think so. It would cost more for schools to hire more teachers, which would consequently make it more for the government.

Hence, it won't work because $$$.

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
Imagine that at my school, 6 kids in year 12 lelel

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it a private in the middle of no where?

Jesus how does a school survive having only 6 students.
Private, not middle of nowhere.
It has 6 in year 12
35 in the high school, tiny bit more than that in primary school.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Private, not middle of nowhere.
It has 6 in year 12
35 in the high school, tiny bit more than that in primary school.
why you do you to strange niche schools lele (no offense)
are you parents like religious fundamentalists?

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
why you do you to strange niche schools lele (no offense)
are you parents like religious fundamentalists?
I chose to go there, I wanted to learn about catholic stuff.
I didn't want to get lost in the scool system either. At my old school I fell I to a pool of shit socially and academically.
The small class makes learning easier, more personal, and I don't have to worry about social stuff.
I have grown in confidence and in manners by being there.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I chose to go there, I wanted to learn about catholic stuff.
I didn't want to get lost in the scool system either. At my old school I fell I to a pool of shit socially and academically.
The small class makes learning easier, more personal, and I don't have to worry about social stuff.
I have grown in confidence and in manners by being there.
Fair enough then

si2136

HSC
N/A
Mate, my school has a shortage of teachers in each faculty. There aren't enough Maths Teachers nor Social Science Teachers nor Technology Teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)