2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstripedshades

HSC
uh looking back at some threads through google, they say that Macquarie is harder than UTS for Commerce? But how come Macquaries ATAR requirement is way lower, has it changed now?

leehuan

HSC
uh looking back at some threads through google, they say that Macquarie is harder than UTS for Commerce? But how come Macquaries ATAR requirement is way lower, has it changed now?
It's really just reflective of supply and demand - more people trying to go to the more prestigious uni.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I'd had always somewhat thought MQ's Business-related courses were better than USYD & UTS, but not UNSW for some reason.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Now that I reflect on my shitty Primary School experiences and Years 7 -> half way through Prelim, I realise that it's extremely important for school to put students into the HSC mindset as early as possible.

The learning styles that you should adopt should not be when you start the year of HSC. Looking at 2018ers on this forum, they're clearly aware that they have the HSC pretty soon, and are at least conscious of what kind of things they should minimally learn to keep them decently prepared for their exams.

My school is really fucking lax on learning, with periods and time wasted that could be otherwise used for study. We use at least 11 x 45min periods a TERM just on random shit. Yes, even during HSC. I only realised how little time I had left during the start of the year, and what I needed to do to catch up to the naturally smart/prepared classmates.

My current business studies class just involves the teacher spoonfeeding and condensing information, with fairly important details left out, with 90% of the class not knowing what Working Capital was for our second HSC assessment.

edit: To add on, IMO it's better to encourage competition, like providing ranks for students (which my school doesn't do). I'm not even first for any of my subjects, but it just lets you realise where you're at and what you need to do if you want an ATAR.

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
I just don't like how USYD is pay-to-win
In defense of USYD, I can absolutely assure you that (in the courses I do at least) people who can't keep up and rely on being spoonfed (and whatever arbitrary advantages derived from being born into wealth) will struggle at the border of passing. Money can really only buy you attempts, so rest assured academic justice happens here just as much as any other uni :)

One of the first things my microeconomics lecturer said was "20% of students who take this course fail." Apparently introductory econometrics have a failure rate of 30%, so definitely looking forward to that next semester!

mrstripedshades

HSC
for me location wise macquarie is probably easiest to get to and uws. I couldnt go to macqs open day but heard it has a great campus (anyone that went have any thoughts regarding it?), usyd campus was decent and I missed the best parts lmao, for me UTS facilities were good but it felt worse than sydneys by a decent margin. UTS and macquarie have the best locations imo (at least for me).

Dont know if UNSW open day is even worth going to considering its distance.

and my school is so bad at preparing us for after school that we havent gone (for the past few years at least from what I've seen) to the careers expo...

meDAawesome

HSC
for me location wise macquarie is probably easiest to get to and uws. I couldnt go to macqs open day but heard it has a great campus (anyone that went have any thoughts regarding it?), usyd campus was decent and I missed the best parts lmao, for me UTS facilities were good but it felt worse than sydneys by a decent margin. UTS and macquarie have the best locations imo (at least for me).

Dont know if UNSW open day is even worth going to considering its distance.

and my school is so bad at preparing us for after school that we havent gone (for the past few years at least from what I've seen) to the careers expo...
The kebab place at macquarie is literally amazing, like $9/$10 for a gigantic HSP, I'm considering going there just for that, but USYD's kebab place is even better.

mrstripedshades

HSC
The kebab place at macquarie is literally amazing, like $9/$10 for a gigantic HSP, I'm considering going there just for that, but USYD's kebab place is even better.
is usyds kebab place near the chem building/area where theres easyway? I had it when I went for some chem thing earlier in the year and the kebab was great. Didnt have a hsp though. was sad when the area was closed on saturday lmao

leehuan

HSC
In defense of USYD, I can absolutely assure you that (in the courses I do at least) people who can't keep up and rely on being spoonfed (and whatever arbitrary advantages derived from being born into wealth) will struggle at the border of passing. Money can really only buy you attempts, so rest assured academic justice happens here just as much as any other uni :)

One of the first things my microeconomics lecturer said was "20% of students who take this course fail." Apparently introductory econometrics have a failure rate of 30%, so definitely looking forward to that next semester!
Meanwhile microeconomics 1 at UNSW was easier than any high school course I've done.

(Don't hurt me this is just my opinion. But seriously it felt very easy though. And a lot of students will agree)

sida1049

HSC
Meanwhile microeconomics 1 at UNSW was easier than any high school course I've done.

(Don't hurt me this is just my opinion. But seriously it felt very easy though. And a lot of students will agree)
Hahah I get what you mean (I miraculously managed an HD).

To be fair, I wouldn't underestimate the subject though; I thought the section on competitive market analysis took some time to actually understand properly, and the students who aren't mathematically acquainted had to resort to memorising the methods and equations. (I have a feeling the majority of the 800~ cohort were stuck in the fail-credit range).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)