2017ers Preliminary Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Damn I thought ICU was a girl the whole time.

4/5 Guesses correct now I suppose

fjitlid

HSC
Got my Advanced English Essay today about Othello and The Art of War. questions is: Tactics are dependent upon strategic considerations. How do concepts in the Art of War enhance your understanding of conflict in Othello?

if anyone has done Othello and the Art of war and has any tips, hints, advice or notes it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

si2136

HSC
N/A
Got my Advanced English Essay today about Othello and The Art of War. questions is: Tactics are dependent upon strategic considerations. How do concepts in the Art of War enhance your understanding of conflict in Othello?

if anyone has done Othello and the Art of war and has any tips, hints, advice or notes it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Art of War is a really good book. Doing Othello really soon!

I did 1/3 of my English Essay, and I <3 it!

oneiric__

HSC
Does anyone know where I can find some good English Advanced short stories? Or even tips on how to write a good short story?

ml125

HSC
Damn I thought ICU was a girl the whole time.

4/5 Guesses correct now I suppose
told u m9

Does anyone know where I can find some good English Advanced short stories? Or even tips on how to write a good short story?
here is some advice I gave eyeseeyou a while ago lmao, would probably also be good to have a look through that thread for anything else
Plan before you write. I usually start off by picking apart the rubric, and separating it into different parts. For example, for AOS Discovery it would be something like this:

Discovery can encompass the experience of:
discovering something for the first time
or rediscovering something that has been lost, forgotten or concealed.
Discoveries can be sudden and unexpected,
or they can emerge from a process of deliberate and careful planning
evoked by curiosity, necessity or wonder.
Discoveries can be fresh and intensely meaningful
in ways that may be emotional, creative,intellectual, physical and spiritual.
They can also be confronting and provocative.
They can lead us to new worlds and values,
stimulate new ideas,
and enable us to speculate about future possibilities.
Discoveries and discovering can offer new understandings and
renewed perceptions of ourselves and others.

For each point (some may overlap), write down something that you might be able to write about; and if you already have something in mind, write down how you might be able to connect your story to it. Compile each of these points and see which of them may fit together. This helps a lot in making sure you address most, if not ALL components of the rubric.

It is best to write a very simple idea very well. Ensure that the plot in your story is not too heavy – have maybe one or two significant events. Keep an optimal one or two major characters so as not to overcomplicate your piece. When coming up with your idea try to write about your own personal experience; I have seen a number of pieces like these that work really well, although I myself find it difficult to write like this. I have also seen some effective historical recreations but some of the events chosen are very overused such as WWI/II so if you attempt to do this, try to find an event that is significant yet scarcely used. With the way I write, I tend to weave references to well known stories - classics, fairytales etc. to ensure a unique response. However, if you choose to do this make sure it is not overdone. This can take away from the originality of your creative.

Before you start writing, have a look at multiple stimuli for your AOS and try to pick out elements from a few of them to incorporate within your creative OR write out a first draft, then practice rewriting to suit multiple stimuli. After you write a few times under exam conditions you might notice some changes in expression etc. If you find the changes you made to be effective, go back and rewrite it - incorporate all the things you might have come up with on the spot.

And yeah, as stated above: EDIT. A LOT.
As for short stories for Advanced, you should have a look at the resource section - there are a few good ones there. If you want to look at other short stories - I'd recommend 'The Lesson' by Toni Cade Bambara, 'The Necklace' by Guy de Maupassant and possibly some of Tim Winton's work.

oneiric__

HSC
told u m9

here is some advice I gave eyeseeyou a while ago lmao, would probably also be good to have a look through that thread for anything else

As for short stories for Advanced, you should have a look at the resource section - there are a few good ones there. If you want to look at other short stories - I'd recommend 'The Lesson' by Toni Cade Bambara, 'The Necklace' by Guy de Maupassant and possibly some of Tim Winton's work.
in relation to short stories - thanks :)

Mach_1

HSC
told u m9

Wintons scission is rlly good for belonging aos

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

fjitlid

HSC
Has anyone done the historical investigation for year 11 modern history? its coming up soon and i just wanted to know some tips on topics and how to carry it out.

thanks!

Orwell

HSC
I have an exam tomorrow and I'm watching The Simpsons.

sgtgummybear

HSC
I planned to get so much shit done this weekend.
What have I accomplished? A paragraph of 160 words. :tennisclap:

Actually, that's pretty decent knowing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)