2018 HSC Maths MX1 Discussion (1 Viewer)

Ace0804

HSC
tbh i don't know why everyone was saying question 14 was hard, the only hard part was the limiting sum question, everything else was pretty standard

phunkyy

HSC
ughhh I forgot to change my calculator to RAD mode for the ferris wheel question, and also didn't see that the domain of the function was x>1!! Sighhh silly mistakes

toxicdonut

HSC
N/A
does anyone have the paper? I want to see the total marks with solutions

HSC
looking at 68 or 69 out of 70. is it possible for a 69/70 to align to a 100?

for 14c)iii) did we have to prove that |r| < 1 or are we allowed to assume this since we are given in the wording of the question that a limiting sum exists? all i did was find x and x1 (using similar triangles), said r = x1/x and then substitued into a/(1-r)

and for 14b)ii) did we have to write the actual number or could we just leave it as 23C4 * 2^(19)

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad

for 14c)iii) did we have to prove that |r| < 1 or are we allowed to assume this since we are given in the wording of the question that a limiting sum exists? all i did was find x and x1 (using similar triangles), said r = x1/x and then substitued into a/(1-r)

and for 14b)ii) did we have to write the actual number or could we just leave it as 23C4 * 2^(19)
For c iii), I reckon you had to prove x, x1 and x2 before finding the ratio, like how do you know it's a gp otherwise ~ Not sure tho

for b ii), maayyybe (I did) but surely the marks is for understanding selector A and B's role, and then using part i, not calculator shit

HSC
For c iii), I reckon you had to prove x, x1 and x2 before finding the ratio, like how do you know it's a gp otherwise ~ Not sure tho

for b ii), maayyybe (I did) but surely the marks is for understanding selector A and B's role, and then using part i, not calculator shit
you know its a GP because the question said that a limiting sum exists, and limiting sums only exists for GPs with |r|<1

so it can be assumed that x, x1, x2, ... form a GP with |r|<1 otherwise a limiting sum wouldnt exist

i think if they wanted x2 they wouldve shown x2 in the diagram, but they didnt. also this wouldve taken ages since you wouldve had to prove similar triangles again

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I would be quite surprised if you had to write out the actual number for 14 b) ii).

HSC
I would be quite surprised if you had to write out the actual number for 14 b) ii).
yeah I think it was like 4 billion something idk, i just saw 2^(19) and automatically thought it would be too big so i left the answer as 29C4 * 2^(19)

jjuunnee

HSC
ughhh I forgot to change my calculator to RAD mode for the ferris wheel question, and also didn't see that the domain of the function was x>1!! Sighhh silly mistakes
oh shit i think i forgot to change it to radian mode as well, but i don't recall having to put down anything for theta i just replaced the whole trig function with something. oh well whatever i probably screwed that up anyway

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
you know its a GP because the question said that a limiting sum exists, and limiting sums only exists for GPs with |r|<1

so it can be assumed that x, x1, x2, ... form a GP with |r|<1 otherwise a limiting sum wouldnt exist
I haven't seen the question wording, but did it say it's a GP? Non-GP sums can also have limiting sums.

Without having seen the question, I think that if you know (either via proof or by being given it) that it's a GP, and the question tells you the sum converges, then you shouldn't need to waste time proving |r| < 1.

HSC
I haven't seen the question wording, but did it say it's a GP? Non-GP sums can also have limiting sums.

Without having seen the question, I think that if you know (either via proof or by being given it) that it's a GP, and the question tells you the sum converges, then you shouldn't need to waste time proving |r| < 1.
the question said something like 'show that the limiting sum of the areas of the quadrants is X' so you already know that the sum converges to X and as far as 3u maths goes only geometric sums converge

Ace0804

HSC
oh shit i think i forgot to change it to radian mode as well, but i don't recall having to put down anything for theta i just replaced the whole trig function with something. oh well whatever i probably screwed that up anyway
na u got that right, cause thats the exact same thing i did, but the answer should be 19. something

jjuunnee

HSC
na u got that right, cause thats the exact same thing i did, but the answer should be 19. something
oo yay i got 19. something as well! hopefully the only marks i lose in this exam are from the questions I couldnt do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)