2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

highshill

HSC
I wonder if anything funny happened during your hsc year, today something weird happended with me my teacher asked our class what do want to become when you go in uni everyone is saying
"engineer", "vet", "pharmacist", "teacher" and then my turn came and I had the most awkward moment ever (since I was distracted reading a survivor's guide to the HSC)
Teacher: Highshill what do you want to be when you go into uni
Me (while distracted): "the hsc"
My teacher : "What"
I said " o sorry"

And the whole class is like o_O,
Conclusion: I hide myself in my book.
Lesson learnt : Do not read survivor guides when teachers ask "what do you want to do in life" question.
Today something weird happened... again

Our vice principal was giving a speech on how important the hsc is and how it will influence what we want to be in life it went something like this (it was only for the year 12, our school does this annually, its a ritual I guess)

Deputy: Students the hsc shape your life, it decides on your university, it decides your career, even though there are alternatives you must do to your best potential...
Many of you want to doctors, lawyers, teachers, actuarians.
Random student (can't name): Not highshill sir, she wants to be "the hsc"
Deputy: (Giving both of shocked stares) WHAT!? Pardon the joke please
(Everyone is staring at me)
Me: Trying to fake whistle but sounded like wind
:mad2:

:haha:

Karldahemster

Student
HSC
Hey
Personally I do not use HSC Hub by Atomi but I have access to an alternative known as HSC Study lab
https://hscstudylab.com.au/

If you have a membership at a library in NSW (Not sure about other states), you are able to get a free subscription for all their subjects.
It is $99 otherwise per subject, which is much cheaper than the $470 for each subject by Atomi.
It's very much the same concept as Atomi, with a video for a dotpoint (or more than one), and the whole ordeal is run by Macquarie Uni.

The main drawback is that they only cater for HSC Chemistry, Biology and Physics at the moment, but plan to add a larger range of subjects.

Hope this helps, hf in the HSC :read:
Would yo recommend it?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
T r a g i c
at least you didn't post a list of animes you watched onto the English group chat
I critiqued each anime with an emoji too
Literally was so embarrassed because my classmates bring it up too...
Who was it meant for?

highshill

HSC
It's free (with a library membership) so may as well try it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah i have it free too due:D to library membership supR is right it wont hurt to try just go to the local library ask for a membership if you dont have one already

aimsat

HSC
can anyone recommend the best study techniques (I know different things works for different people) but I need ideas, please and thank you

Frostguard

HSC
can anyone recommend the best study techniques (I know different things works for different people) but I need ideas, please and thank you
I think the most efficient way to test your knowledge is doing past papers in timed conditions, especially before a test, get out a past paper and start answering the questions without looking at your notes, without distractions and use the marking guidelines/answers or your teacher to mark your work.
You could also have study groups with your friends doing the same subjects, testing each other's knowledge by asking each other questions so both of you learn. The hardest part is just getting into the mindset of doing a past paper or studying, personally the thing that motivates me to do past papers is fear of failure but you know others could be driven to do their best, it's their favourite subject, etc, it's just up to you tbh

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Flashcards are pretty neat, I've only used them once but they worked well. They're probably better for science-based subjects since a long-explanation probably won't fit on the card.
Going over notes, writing a glossary of terms and defining words without looking at their definitions can work, especially for humanities-based subjects.
Even re-writing some of your notes can work, depending on the type of learner you are.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone know what raw marks I would have to get to get a state ranking in legal studies or society and culture? Or even just a scaled mark of 97+?

captainneuro

HSC
Anyone know what raw marks I would have to get to get a state ranking in legal studies or society and culture? Or even just a scaled mark of 97+?
Didn’t do those subs and therefore not an expert at it but I would say 95-96/100 raw would be the marks to start being considered for a state rank. Generally goes - top 20 places for Legal and top 10 places for S&C in the state to be awarded. Also, atleast 94 raw for 97 scaled is needed.

Last edited:

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Didn’t do those subs and therefore not an expert at it but I would say 95-96/100 raw would be the marks to start being considered for a state rank. Generally goes - top 20 places for Legal and top 10 places for S&C in the state to be awarded. Also, atleast 94 raw for 97 scaled is needed.
Omg nvm I'm just gonna aim for a band 6
Thank you :)

captainneuro

HSC
Omg nvm I'm just gonna aim for a band 6 ������
Thank you :)
Lol yeah usually it’s only like 81-83 raw needed for a band 6 cut off for them but that may change depending on the difficulty of the exam next year.

PikyoK

HSC
I'm glad I'm back on this chit-chat thread. Long time no see!

I had to take an English Test (HSC Style) which was Comprehension, Creative Writing and Extended Response on the Area of Study which is Discovery. That was my first English assessment for the HSC Course. Then I had to study and take my first Ancient History assessment which was on Pompeii and Herculaneum. Finally, I had to hand in my VAPD for Art for the teacher to mark and see my progression and concept/s for my HSC Body of Work (Year 12 Major).

I am finally done with all the exams for 2017. Time to study and be ahead in the holidays. Bring on 2018!

:sun:;):D:caffeine:

Last edited:

PikyoK

HSC
By the way, we are designing and processing our Year 12 jerseys. It's funny because the whole grade wanted zip-up jackets becuase it fits better with the rest of the uniform. They should be ready at the beginning of next term (Term 1 2018). Exciting! :p :awesome:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)