2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

kendallkreene

HSC
It's funny how I was so willing and ready to sacrifice sleep for success, but now I know that it is actually an imperative component to perform well. :(

If only we could take one second to press a button embedded into our bodies that automatically gives us the energy that we would've otherwise received from 8 hours of good sleep. It would make life so much easier!

A Leaf

HSC
I have this weird feeling where I feel like year 11 was like yesterday but then I imagine me in year 11 and it feels an eternity ago. I literally make no sense but yeah just a thought

PikyoK

HSC
I have another Biology question:

What is the impact in our society of using hormone replacement therapy to treat people with hormone deficiency diseases? Detail 2 impacts.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
How has everyone's holidays been?
Excited for 29th of January?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC

Been really good, just alternating between school work, chilling out, and hanging out with friends. Nervous for start of school as I get all of my Term 4 assessment results back, but I feel pretty okay about getting back into a steady flow of school work.

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Hey, just wondering if any of you guys are working part time during this HSC year (or have worked part time)? I'm trying to get a job so I can be more critical with how I use my time. Don't think anyone is hiring though tbh :/

Frostguard

HSC

Omg been having summer school for the past 3 weeks and I haven't gotten my Eco or English hw done
29th Jan? More like last minute cramming imao

Frostguard

HSC
Hey, just wondering if any of you guys are working part time during this HSC year (or have worked part time)? I'm trying to get a job so I can be more critical with how I use my time. Don't think anyone is hiring though tbh :/
I got this little part time writing job and I guess it has improved my time management and my usage of free time. I can basically work on my article whenever I want to and the good thing is, it gets me in the mood to do other work, eg my Hist ext project where I alternate between my job and school project so I don't get bored and will just switch to the other to keep me interested and in the zone.

I do think getting a job, whether it be fast food, retail or other service jobs will allow you to properly prioritise your time eg you work at 4-7pm on a weekday which means you have a couple of hours to get into the zone, start homework and do some revision. Pretty beneficial for time management and getting your study schedule and motivation back in track lol

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad

Not bad. Haven't done as much work as I'd liked to have done but I've still made progress. Was able to catch up on tv shows and anime which is great seeing as I haven't watched anything since term 4 started.
Looking forward to learning new topics, especially world order for legal and belief systems for society and culture.

Lumenoria

HSC
Yup, I've always had a job during the entirety of my time at high school, but halfway through year 11, I resigned because I was going through a lot of personal shit. In October 2017 though, I got a new job working as a casual at a super busy restaurant and it's been great! I decided to get a new job because I literally ran out of my savings and had $0 in my account (my parents aren't around much so I don't have them to rely on financially). I was worried initially because in the time I didn't have a job, I got 85+ in all my prelim finals and I thought that having a job again would compromise that consistency in my results.

However, I got 100% and 95% for respectively legal and mathematics in my first term year 12 assessments (that's all I've gotten back so far) - and in that week, I was working 30 hours (5 days). These weren't my normal hours - I usually do 8-15 hours per week - but I accidentally forgot to n/a for that week somehow (completely my fault). When I got my roster for that week, I was so fucking frustrated at myself because I seriously thought I would fail and disappoint all my teachers, as my exam period itself was literally consumed shifts on school nights - essentially, there was no scope for last minute prep. My workplace has a policy where you literally can't get rid of your shift once the roster has been finalised, so I knew I had to accept these unfortunate circumstances and persevere through them. So instead, this stress actually pushed me to finish my assessment prep SUPER early (I finished my essay drafts the day I got the notification). In the end, that feeling of finishing early was such a relief to experience in the long term, albeit stressful during that moment - knowing I had exponentially less time to study than my peers was really hard to deal with. I'm relatively confident I exceeded 90 in my other subjects too.

Basically, having a job forces you to be productive because you KNOW you have no time to procrastinate. For me personally, it's almost like having a second deadline that I know is real, not just mentally ingrained for the sake of being organised... if that makes sense. These holidays, I've been working 40+ hours per week and making a lot of bank. I almost feel like I have a bit too much time on my hands if I don't work. Sometimes I find it hard to discipline myself to turn down open shifts (money motivates me more than school results tbh), but overall, it's been really good to have that balance between school and work. I feel like it's just unrealistic to be studying 24/7 because of the major inclination to burn out, so having a job to break that really helps. Plus, what could be better than a paycheck every week? During holidays, I've been making $450-$700 per week, but during school I usually only earn about $100-$180 per week. As long as you work in moderation and make sure it doesn't dominate your studies, then I think it'd be very beneficial to have! Personally, I'm saving towards a massive Southeast Asia trip right after the HSC, where I'm planning to set 5-6k aside for that. I've already made 5k in the 4 months I've been at this job (starting from $0), but I want to get to 10k by the end of the year so that I'm not completely financially drained when I return from my proposed Southeast Asia trip. Anyways, I'd highly recommend getting a job, just make sure you n/a according to your exam schedule very far in advance and it should be fine :)

A Leaf

HSC

My holidays were so busy haha my cousin came over for 3 weeks from overseas but the downside is that she would literally come up to me and slam my laptop shut so I would go hang out with her lmfao but all g and then I went overseas for a week for my other cousin's wedding and then have been studying since I got back - I'm not sure if I've done enough studying tbh I'm kinda worried :( but I feel like when school starts I'll stop bludging bc I'll have that slight pressure

PikyoK

HSC
I have another Biology question:

What is the impact in our society of using hormone replacement therapy to treat people with hormone deficiency diseases? Detail 2 impacts.

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Yup, I've always had a job during the entirety of my time at high school, but halfway through year 11, I resigned because I was going through a lot of personal shit. In October 2017 though, I got a new job working as a casual at a super busy restaurant and it's been great! I decided to get a new job because I literally ran out of my savings and had $0 in my account (my parents aren't around much so I don't have them to rely on financially). I was worried initially because in the time I didn't have a job, I got 85+ in all my prelim finals and I thought that having a job again would compromise that consistency in my results.

However, I got 100% and 95% for respectively legal and mathematics in my first term year 12 assessments (that's all I've gotten back so far) - and in that week, I was working 30 hours (5 days). These weren't my normal hours - I usually do 8-15 hours per week - but I accidentally forgot to n/a for that week somehow (completely my fault). When I got my roster for that week, I was so fucking frustrated at myself because I seriously thought I would fail and disappoint all my teachers, as my exam period itself was literally consumed shifts on school nights - essentially, there was no scope for last minute prep. My workplace has a policy where you literally can't get rid of your shift once the roster has been finalised, so I knew I had to accept these unfortunate circumstances and persevere through them. So instead, this stress actually pushed me to finish my assessment prep SUPER early (I finished my essay drafts the day I got the notification). In the end, that feeling of finishing early was such a relief to experience in the long term, albeit stressful during that moment - knowing I had exponentially less time to study than my peers was really hard to deal with. I'm relatively confident I exceeded 90 in my other subjects too.

Basically, having a job forces you to be productive because you KNOW you have no time to procrastinate. For me personally, it's almost like having a second deadline that I know is real, not just mentally ingrained for the sake of being organised... if that makes sense. These holidays, I've been working 40+ hours per week and making a lot of bank. I almost feel like I have a bit too much time on my hands if I don't work. Sometimes I find it hard to discipline myself to turn down open shifts (money motivates me more than school results tbh), but overall, it's been really good to have that balance between school and work. I feel like it's just unrealistic to be studying 24/7 because of the major inclination to burn out, so having a job to break that really helps. Plus, what could be better than a paycheck every week? During holidays, I've been making $450-$700 per week, but during school I usually only earn about $100-$180 per week. As long as you work in moderation and make sure it doesn't dominate your studies, then I think it'd be very beneficial to have! Personally, I'm saving towards a massive Southeast Asia trip right after the HSC, where I'm planning to set 5-6k aside for that. I've already made 5k in the 4 months I've been at this job (starting from $0), but I want to get to 10k by the end of the year so that I'm not completely financially drained when I return from my proposed Southeast Asia trip. Anyways, I'd highly recommend getting a job, just make sure you n/a according to your exam schedule very far in advance and it should be fine :)

Yeah the same sort of thing happened to me in Term 1 of Year 11 when I worked about 11 hours a week (through exam period as well), and I got most of my results in the 90s except English during that time. The only reason I quit was because I was so close to burning out (I would sometimes work until 11pm and have to wake up at 6:15am for EE1 the next day) and I barely spend money anyways. I just wasn't sure if it would be different this time (getting a job now and having it actually compromise my results for Year 12) but it'll probs be fine lmao.
To be honest I'm trying to get a job more because I'm hoping that having more extracurriculars/outside commitments will differentiate me for uni scholarships.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)