2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Hey guys, I've just been thinking a lot about this whole HSC thing. I'm beginning to lose motivation and I'm becoming pretty disillusioned with this whole thing. Like I'm starting to lose all of the external motivations/reasons why I should be studying hard. I don't think I'm worthy of getting my ATAR goal anymore after a lot of substandard assessment marks (the goal is so that I could get Chancellors scholars at unimelb) and I just feel that even if I do my best, it really wont be enough to get that near perfect ATAR. It's getting to the point where I don't wanna study anymore just cause I don't have enough confidence that I could get anywhere near my goal, so 'whats the point' is what I'm thinking right now.

Should I be lowering my ATAR goal to something more manageable at the expense of giving up something I really want, or should I keep persisting even if it feels kinda pointless and I really feel that I can't achieve my goal?

Lilabear

HSC
Hey guys, I've just been thinking a lot about this whole HSC thing. I'm beginning to lose motivation and I'm becoming pretty disillusioned with this whole thing. Like I'm starting to lose all of the external motivations/reasons why I should be studying hard. I don't think I'm worthy of getting my ATAR goal anymore after a lot of substandard assessment marks (the goal is so that I could get Chancellors scholars at unimelb) and I just feel that even if I do my best, it really wont be enough to get that near perfect ATAR. It's getting to the point where I don't wanna study anymore just cause I don't have enough confidence that I could get anywhere near my goal, so 'whats the point' is what I'm thinking right now.

Should I be lowering my ATAR goal to something more manageable at the expense of giving up something I really want, or should I keep persisting even if it feels kinda pointless and I really feel that I can't achieve my goal?
Ever heard of the quote "if you shoot for the moon, you'll still land in the stars?" Probs not the exact wording and a bit cliche, but i think it describes this whole ATAR goal senario pretty well. Keep working hard, and you'll still get a good mark, even if it falls short of your goal mark. 99.9 is pretty damn high, several marks short of that is still excellent!

Last edited:

Lilabear

HSC
For modern, how important is remember exact dates for our national essay? Like if we were mentioning event, do we need to know the month as well as the year? Or what if i don't even mention the year, how bad is that? Worried cause i have a terrible memory

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
For modern, how important is remember exact dates for our national essay? Like if we were mentioning event, do we need to know the month as well as the year? Or what if i don't even mention the year, how bad is that? Worried cause i have a terrible memory
Month and year is great, but you will still do well if you only add the year because it still shows you are putting events into context. If you want to be more specific, you can add the day as well, but it's not always necessary and sometimes it can just be a pain to remember (it adds more sophistication though i guess).

Cronus

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I know this sounds ridiculous, but how do you block off the distraction of having a crush on someone? Like sometimes I can't concentrate when I'm studying or reading through notes. It's really a mental thing that I need help controlling. :/

LMAO like all the years I've been single and forever alone were the years that my grades didn't really count, but now someone swoops in JUST WHEN I'm supposed to be focusing on my grades fml.

Last edited:

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

I know this sounds ridiculous, but how do you block off the distraction of having a crush on someone? Like sometimes I can't concentrate when I'm studying or reading through notes. It's really a mental thing that I need help controlling. :/

LMAO like all the years I've been single and forever alone were the years that my grades didn't really count, but now someone swoops in JUST WHEN I'm supposed to be focusing on my grades fml.
Personally, I just get really pessimistic about the crush in order to kill my feelings off like a weed. Not really recommended though bc this has made me a cynical piece of shit
I think you should put aside a certain amount of time each day dedicated entirely to thinking about your crush, and spend the rest of the day concentrating on whatever it is you're doing. Never tried this tho so idk if it'll work

Lilabear

HSC
Do we need definitions in legal studies essays? E.g. id i were writing an essay on domestic violence, do i need to define DV and AVO's?

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Do we need definitions in legal studies essays? E.g. id i were writing an essay on domestic violence, do i need to define DV and AVO's?
I don't think so, unless there's a dispute as to what the definition is within a case

jjuunnee

HSC
Depends on what you're defining. Stuff like 'domestic violence' probably doesn't need a definition, but proper legal terminology (eg. state sovereignty) should have definitions

Lilabear

HSC
Depends on what you're defining. Stuff like 'domestic violence' probably doesn't need a definition, but proper legal terminology (eg. state sovereignty) should have definitions
Hmm..do you think i would need to define AVO's?

ashleighmd

HSC
Hey Guys, Everyone in my year at school is stressing over exams and I don't understand why everyone is stressing over half yearlies?
if you don't wanna stress don't leave everything to the last minute, it makes it a lot easier to study throughout the year
Rant Over :headbang:

jjuunnee

HSC
Hey Guys, Everyone in my year at school is stressing over exams and I don't understand why everyone is stressing over half yearlies?
if you don't wanna stress don't leave everything to the last minute, it makes it a lot easier to study throughout the year
Rant Over :headbang:
I think some people feel stressed not because they've left everything to the last minute but because of the fact that half yearlies count towards a significant portion of your internal mark, and also because it is the HSC!

Lilabear

HSC
Hi Guys!

If i'm arguing that ADVO's are "extremely effective" and i use lcmid to back this up, do i need to also mention negatives for a more balanced argument? I haven't done this and i've already reached the word limit :(

Also, what is your opinion on parental order under the Family Law act? I'm struggling to decide wether it's effective or not in protecting DV and FV victims and its intersection with ADVO's.

Thanks!

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Guys!

If i'm arguing that ADVO's are "extremely effective" and i use lcmid to back this up, do i need to also mention negatives for a more balanced argument? I haven't done this and i've already reached the word limit :(

Also, what is your opinion on parental order under the Family Law act? I'm struggling to decide wether it's effective or not in protecting DV and FV victims and its intersection with ADVO's.

Thanks!
I haven't done family law, so I can't help on your second question, but I think if you're arguing that something is extremely effective then there's no need to add arguments against, as that would weaken your overall argument that something is in fact effective.

Lilabear

HSC
I haven't done family law, so I can't help on your second question, but I think if you're arguing that something is extremely effective then there's no need to add arguments against, as that would weaken your overall argument that something is in fact effective.
Thanks for your reply! Do you think it's risky to argue that something is "extremely effective?" For AVO's there have been significant issues, but i've only mentioned the good bits.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for your reply! Do you think it's risky to argue that something is "extremely effective?" For AVO's there have been significant issues, but i've only mentioned the good bits.
No problemo. I don't think it'd be too risky, so long as you have sufficient evidence to back up your point.

brbstudying

HSC
Hey guys, need advice

Neither of my prepared creatives have much of a plot going on. Particularly for Ext 1, where it's stream-of-consciousness. Would I be marked down for this, even if I do make the concept of discovery or genre conventions explicitly known?

And how long are Module A essays supposed to be? Mine's 1.5k and I feel that is way too long.

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
And how long are Module A essays supposed to be? Mine's 1.5k and I feel that is way too long.
If you can write 1.3k in 40 minutes then that should be fine! Consider shortening to about 1000 words if you can't fit the time constraints.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)