2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Lumenoria

HSC
Midterms finished today! For me, at least. :)

Praying that I did well...

How's everyone else going?

P.S: Am I the only one who's been having sad thoughts about high school ending? I'm now vowing to make the most of these few months left, because I have a feeling I'll miss the familiarity of the school grounds and the familiar faces :(
YES!! Omg I actually like going to school, as weird as it sounds, so the thought of leaving all my friends and ESPECIALLY my teachers is so heartbreaking. I honestly want to come back to school after I graduate on a regular basis to catch up with my teachers, there are 3 of them that I honestly love so so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumenoria

HSC
Also, does anyone have any idea what they want to do @uni?
Not too sure, like I know what I want to STUDY in uni but that isn't always necessarily what I want career wise, you know?

I'm still oscillating between;
1. Bachelor of Politics & International Relations at USyd
2. Commerce at UNSW
3. Arts/Law at UNSW or USyd

They all require ATARs of 95+ though so idk hahahhaa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Undecided but I have a few degrees that I've been looking at

- Bachelor of Arts at Melbourne Uni
- Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning at RMIT
- Bachelor of Psychology (Hons) at UNSW

One needs a 70 ATAR but another needs at least a 98 ATAR so just trying to keep options open at the moment.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably UNSW -
- Bachelor Advanced Science / Commerce (Finance) / Engineering (Renewable) / Advanced Mathematics / Economics / Computer sci
Idk depends on the day lol

Frostguard

HSC
Yeah im gonna miss high school, examination season is so boring and I wanna meet all my friends and peers but I can't and my friends finish their exams early and I'm stuck here with 4 exams in the last week yikes
GUYS WE'RE HALFWAY DONE TERM 1 AND 2 ARE OVER AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
We gotta cherish all the time we have left ;(

Also for University I want to study Psychology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-UNSW Psychology (imfao cut off is 99)
-USYD Psychology (yikes maths prerequisites lol)
- literally any other school of psychology
- its a long shot but law lol espec UNSW Law + Psychology that would be goals

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah im gonna miss high school, examination season is so boring and I wanna meet all my friends and peers but I can't and my friends finish their exams early and I'm stuck here with 4 exams in the last week yikes

Your realisation that term 1 and 2 are over has made me kinda scared lol
Come to think of it, I don't think I cherish school enough. Table tennis with the boys at recess and lunch is fun, gonna miss it D:

Frostguard

HSC
Your realisation that term 1 and 2 are over has made me kinda scared lol
Come to think of it, I don't think I cherish school enough. Table tennis with the boys at recess and lunch is fun, gonna miss it D:
haha yeah i was printing out my notes for my half yearlies and i was like
" wait its almost end of term 1 "
' that means 2 terms are over and only term 3 and 4 are left and then its hsc ;( '

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
haha yeah i was printing out my notes for my half yearlies and i was like
" wait its almost end of term 1 "
' that means 2 terms are over and only term 3 and 4 are left and then its hsc ;( '
Dw the days leading up to the HSC results are more stressful than the HSC exams itself

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC

do you reckon you'll do a bridging course for maths prerequisites/assumed knowledge for psych?

Frostguard

HSC
do you reckon you'll do a bridging course for maths prerequisites/assumed knowledge for psych?
Maybe, if I get the ATAR required or close to it/receive an offer, I might do USYD Psych but I made a promise as well as shamelessly repeated to my friends that we would all go to UNSW together (unlikely but I'll keep wishing :haha:)
But yeah just depends on how well I do in the HSC year and it's close the cut off, its nice finding another Psych kid :DDDDDD

Frostguard

HSC
Hey everyone!! Half yearly exams are over and it's holidays time!!!
How did everyone go for their exams??
Personally I think I did decent on English, Biology, economics and Modern History, screwed up maths (garbage at maths imfao) and I'm not confident for both history ext or legal Studies because the essays that were asked were sudden and unexpected as well as confronting and provocative ( ;) )
For all the legal kids out there my cohort thought my crime essay was going to be on young offenders or international crime but it was ' to what extent are courts the only means of achieving justice ' like wtf kinda question is that no one studied for that LMAO

Lilabear

HSC
Maybe, if I get the ATAR required or close to it/receive an offer, I might do USYD Psych but I made a promise as well as shamelessly repeated to my friends that we would all go to UNSW together (unlikely but I'll keep wishing :haha:)
But yeah just depends on how well I do in the HSC year and it's close the cut off, its nice finding another Psych kid :DDDDDD
Do you guys know how the whole 2u prerequisite thing works? My careers advisor said that i can't just do a bridging course and get in since its prereq instead of assumed knowledge...but she wasn't that clear about it. I was considering commerce at usyd which has prereq, but i'm really confused about how preqs work.

Lilabear

HSC
Do you guys know how the whole 2u prerequisite thing works? My careers advisor said that i can't just do a bridging course and get in since its prereq instead of assumed knowledge...but she wasn't that clear about it.

jjuunnee

HSC
Hey everyone!! Half yearly exams are over and it's holidays time!!!
How did everyone go for their exams??
Personally I think I did decent on English, Biology, economics and Modern History, screwed up maths (garbage at maths imfao) and I'm not confident for both history ext or legal Studies because the essays that were asked were sudden and unexpected as well as confronting and provocative ( ;) )
For all the legal kids out there my cohort thought my crime essay was going to be on young offenders or international crime but it was ' to what extent are courts the only means of achieving justice ' like wtf kinda question is that no one studied for that LMAO
omg hahah we also got such a weird question for legal! we got given a statement which basically says how adults and children are treated differently in the justice system and how that causes injustice, and we had to evaluate it. our teacher was super mean to make us do a compare question on sentencing and young offenders ://

sida1049

HSC
Do you guys know how the whole 2u prerequisite thing works? My careers advisor said that i can't just do a bridging course and get in since its prereq instead of assumed knowledge...but she wasn't that clear about it.
If USYD is being serious about it (and it looks like they are), you absolutely need at least a band 4 to enrol into the prerequisite courses. Bridging courses don't satisfy prerequisites, as they are designed to only get you up to speed with assumed knowledge.

It might be possible to transfer into those courses, since I'm not sure if the 2U maths prerequisite applies in such cases.

If this is something that affects you, you should contact someone at the university about this, and possible pathways (like internal/external transfers).

Lilabear

HSC
If USYD is being serious about it (and it looks like they are), you absolutely need at least a band 4 to enrol into the prerequisite courses. Bridging courses don't satisfy prerequisites, as they are designed to only get you up to speed with assumed knowledge.

It might be possible to transfer into those courses, since I'm not sure if the 2U maths prerequisite applies in such cases.

If this is something that affects you, you should contact someone at the university about this, and possible pathways (like internal/external transfers).
Thanks for clarifying that! Damn though, i was really hoping to go to usyd :/

sida1049

HSC
Thanks for clarifying that! Damn though, i was really hoping to go to usyd :/
This page does say that after 48 credit points (one full year) of study, you may be able to transfer into the course you want (provided you do sufficient well).

This isn't too bad, because with most degrees, you're able to take first-year prerequisites for a major in a different degree (e.g. taking biology units as a part of B. Arts or B. Liberal Arts and Science) as elective units. This way, when you do transfer into the degree you're aiming for a year later, you wouldn't have wasted a year because you'd have done the first-year units for your majors under that degree (since you can transfer credit points over).

Lilabear

HSC
This page does say that after 48 credit points (one full year) of study, you may be able to transfer into the course you want (provided you do sufficient well).

This isn't too bad, because with most degrees, you're able to take first-year prerequisites for a major in a different degree (e.g. taking biology units as a part of B. Arts or B. Liberal Arts and Science) as elective units. This way, when you do transfer into the degree you're aiming for a year later, you wouldn't have wasted a year because you'd have done the first-year units for your majors under that degree (since you can transfer credit points over).
Do you think that's too risky though? Like what if i did an arts degree but then i'm unable to obtain the marks to transfer into commerce? Do you think i would be better off doing commerce at uts and then transferring to usyd?

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Do you think that's too risky though? Like what if i did an arts degree but then i'm unable to obtain the marks to transfer into commerce? Do you think i would be better off doing commerce at uts and then transferring to usyd?
Yeah, I think that's a pretty good idea. Just note that a lot of the time, people who attempt something like that will usually stay in the degree they started with (for one reason or another), but that's not a bad thing at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)