2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Lilabear

HSC
For anyone who does history ex, i'm supposed to hand in my first draft during the holidays but i'm super confused rn.

Are history book authors historians? Also, i've only taken brief notes off of my teachers power points for the 'What is History' section, and i feel like i don't have a deep understanding of it. Do you reckon i should have a solid understanding of that section before i plan my essay (yeah, i'm really behind :( )

Thanks guys :eek:

Lilabear

HSC
For anyone who does history ex, i'm supposed to hand in my first draft during the holidays but i'm super confused rn.

Are history book authors historians? Also, i've only taken brief notes off of my teachers power points for the 'What is History' section, and i feel like i don't have a deep understanding of it. Do you reckon i should have a solid understanding of that section before i plan my essay (yeah, i'm really behind :( )

Speaking of the what is history section, how do you guys make your notes and how extensive should they be? And when you do the readings, do you write notes based off of those too?

Frostguard

HSC

Speaking of the what is history section, how do you guys make your notes and how extensive should they be? And when you do the readings, do you write notes based off of those too?

Yikes Lila um ok do you mean like Ken Webb and people who write history textbooks? I mean I think they are but I personally wouldn't use them for your historiographical essay. Eg im doing marie antoinette's role in french revolution and my focus question is on changing historical interpretations of her role in the FR, so i used historians, like actual historians, doesn't matter what form they've constructed their history whether it be books, speeches, plays, movies, they're still historians and you would rightly use their work to answer your focus question. But yeah I do think you should at least grasp the 'basics' of hist ext, eg studying with my classmates, I've come to realise that as you long as you know the basic timeline of empiricism____relativism_______post-modernism (the line represents the differences in methodology and how they construct history, im sure you know at least the differences between the three) and then you should also learn the other types of methodologies (eg political/diplomatic/women's, theres like dozens of them lol)

As for my what is history notes, I basically just wrote them based off the four questions and plus an extra page for evaluation. I would sort them into booklets depending on which term (eg term 1 i did herodotus and my boy terry deary and his horrible histories) and then made it clear who they were, what was their purpose, construction of history and changing approaches to history. They're not exactly long but at the beginning of hist ext, i had a page each for each historian for the 4qs + evaluation and over time just did 2 pages (2qs on one page). As for my readings, I only write notes if they're issues, for historians, all the work and content is there but for issues (i did film history and anzac legend), i generally just wrote what was necessary (not exactly 4qs format)

I hope your project is going well lmao good luck!!! (my progress log is getting checked first week back time to bs- i mean truthfully log my entries haha

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
istg if legal and society end up on the same day again I will cry

a lot

PikyoK

HSC
We now have our timetables for our upcoming 2018 HSC Exams!!!

I saw my HSC Timetable and I'm feeling mixed emotions about my personal timetable. I am pleased with the outcome because I have a big break between my General Maths exam on October 25th and my Studies of Religion exam on November 6th (which happens to be my last HSC Exam).

On the other hand, I am not satisfied with the outcome because from my Paper 1 English Exam on October 18th to my General Maths exam on October 25th, I have one exam every day! :newburn: I have English Paper 2 on the 19th, Visual Arts on the 22nd, Ancient History on the 23rd, Biology on the 24th and General Maths on the 25th. I guess you could say that this situation might be a good thing becuase that particular week could go very fast and that way, you have most of your HSC out of the way.

Overall, on a scale of 1 (dissapointed) to 10 (happy), I would rate my HSC Timetable a 6. On a brighter note, this is getting me excited and hyped up for the HSC. :D

Last edited:

brbstudying

HSC
It's term 2 and we won't get our jerseys till four weeks later, I feel very ripped off right now hahah
Four weeks?! I'll be quite annoyed, considering you'll only have 3 months to wear it.

Don't know how people in your cohort would take that TBH haha, my grade went crazy last term because they weren't giving us our jackets before the term ended (This was in Term 1) and boyyyy did my grade make a fuss (It looked like they were about to start a revolution) - threatening emails were sent to teachers, parents got involved, etc, so they were basically forced into giving it to us earlier lmao.

Bina8

HSC
I feel like I'm going to fail
How do you even study? Do you just write notes based off syllabus?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)