2018ers Preliminary Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
That's the thing, I'm just up to moving about. It's not necessarily that I find it hard but that I feel like I'm gonna get hit with really hard questions that I have to interpret carefully. We were told year 12 content was so much harder... is it?
In moving about the only stuff that really carries along is Newton's laws, law of conservation of momentum, and the basic motion formulas (e.g. v = u + at), which derive into the projectile formulas in year 12.

The year 12 content for Space was easier to understand I think (maybe except the relativity stuff which is a bit abstract) but I don't know why it was just easier to understand. For example the definitions are easier - weight = force on a mass in a gravitational field - it's pretty direct and the concepts some of them are rote learning - e.g. Newton's concept of escape velocity.

For now we're doing motors and generators and this one was harder but this is really direct so once you understand it then you pretty much are good with it because it's just some hand rules, laws (e.g. Faraday and Lenz) and some concepts (e.g. eddy currents or motor effect) which form the fundamentals of the whole topic basically and are asked in every HSC paper in one way or another.

I definitely found the harder applications of moving about questions and also waves (the world communicates) as well as electricity harder than the year 12 content. The electricity in year 11 is harder than the year 12 electricity stuff ironically... probably because of the current/resistance/voltage problems.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
In moving about the only stuff that really carries along is Newton's laws, law of conservation of momentum, and the basic motion formulas (e.g. v = u + at), which derive into the projectile formulas in year 12.

The year 12 content for Space was easier to understand I think (maybe except the relativity stuff which is a bit abstract) but I don't know why it was just easier to understand. For example the definitions are easier - weight = force on a mass in a gravitational field - it's pretty direct and the concepts some of them are rote learning - e.g. Newton's concept of escape velocity.

For now we're doing motors and generators and this one was harder but this is really direct so once you understand it then you pretty much are good with it because it's just some hand rules, laws (e.g. Faraday and Lenz) and some concepts (e.g. eddy currents or motor effect) which form the fundamentals of the whole topic basically and are asked in every HSC paper in one way or another.

I definitely found the harder applications of moving about questions and also waves (the world communicates) as well as electricity harder than the year 12 content. The electricity in year 11 is harder than the year 12 electricity stuff ironically... probably because of the current/resistance/voltage problems.
How many basic motion formulas should I know?

Suu

HSC
N/A
IMHO, electrical energy in the home is harder (equations are harder to memorise imo. I have a hatred of series and parallel circuits.)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
IMHO, electrical energy in the home is harder (equations are harder to memorise imo. I have a hatred of series and parallel circuits.)
I hated this topic so much it's the hardest, and yes I agree it is because of the series and parallel circuit bs. Thank the lord there's none of it in year 12 physics...

Eudemonic

HSC
Moving About does seem a little too easy right now, I guess the difficulty comes from hard problem solving questions later on.

Eudemonic

HSC
Just started watching Stranger Things, such a creepy show...

also edit, does anyone know how to change your sig

sodiumziha

HSC
Low-key can't deal with music assignments rn. Phuck, shoulda done something that doesn't require grade 4594 AMEB intrument skills but noooo, a year of irregular clarinet lessons HAD to make me pick Mu1. I'll say it again. Phuck.

Suu

HSC
N/A
Prrrrrrrretty sure you can't do both at the same time....

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Am I right in saying English advanced and English extension 1 can be taken in a prelim year then?

English Advanced Preliminary Course and Year 12 Course (Must take preliminary course to continue into year 12)

English Extension Preliminary Course and Year 12 Course (Must take preliminary course to continue into year 12. Have to do Advanced English in order to take this subject.)

English Extension 2 Year 12 Course only (Requires Eng Adv + Eng Ext)

So yes you are correct.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
If a school doesn't offer a particular subject whether it be Prelim or HSC, can the student enrol in another subject at another school?

Let's say a school doesn't offer Modern History, could the student enrol say via OTEN TAFE, another school, distance learning?

Suu

HSC
N/A
Honestly not sure- somewhat depends on the course/ circumstances. For ex. you can do second language courses at language centers.

Eudemonic

HSC
A school not offering Modern? If that's actually happening that's nuts considering its one of the most popular subjects in the state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)