2019s Prelim HSC Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

hscstudent12345678

HSC
Hi!! I'm doing:
- English Advanced
- Maths Advanced
- Legal Studies
- Modern History
- Spanish Continuers
- Drama
- Visual Arts
Are these subjects all OK? I really enjoy them.

Abiya05

HSC
OMG!!! it's nice to finally meet someone who does NO science like me lol. But any subject should be OK as long as you enjoy it. It's bettter than doing subjects that you hate just for the scaling

HSC
y'all... i just realised once i drop the subjects i'm dropping for year 12, all i'm doing is science (plus eng and maths but ew) 0-0

TeheeCat

HSC
How are everyone's preliminary exams going? I have two exams left on Monday (Physics and Business studies, yikes) and then I'm done ^^

Also, is there any hope to improve in 3U math even if you fail the year 11 yearly exam? I just had mine today and I'm quite disheartened... Considering whether if I should give up now or stay. :/

Milo_

HSC
How are everyone's preliminary exams going? I have two exams left on Monday (Physics and Business studies, yikes) and then I'm done ^^

Also, is there any hope to improve in 3U math even if you fail the year 11 yearly exam? I just had mine today and I'm quite disheartened... Considering whether if I should give up now or stay. :/
Well, I am only currently doing 2U, but I do have to say one thing; don't let that exam get to your head!

Compare it to your previous exams that year, how did you go then? What was the grade average for this exam? Do you understand the content? Was the reason for not doing well because of your lack of knowledge, or nervousness, or silly/habitual errors?...

I knew some people that essentially failed to slightly passed their 3U exams, and now they are doing really well. One example is this YouTuber called Nick, from ThatStudentLife, he failed his first three 3U exams in year 11. Now, his ATAR is 97.5 or somewhere around that while mentioning he did good in 3U.

Just learn from your mistakes, go through the content (maybe redo the test?), and just be confident.

I did quite crap in my first 2U exam (not a fail, but a bloody 67% for Algebra and Linear, how the hell...) but I knew it wasn't because I lacked knowledge, but rather habitual errors and my lack of revision.

I now am at a course average of 82% (Ranked 9/46), obviously I could do much better, but I didn't let that first exam get to me despite how humiliating it was personally :p.

That's just my 2 cents, hope everyone does well for next term and I hope this helped you out! :)

Last edited:

TeheeCat

HSC
Well, I am only currently doing 2U, but I do have to say one thing; don't let that exam get to your head!

Compare it to your previous exams that year, how did you go then? What was the grade average for this exam? Do you understand the content? Was the reason for not doing well because of your lack of knowledge, or nervousness, or silly/habitual errors?...

I knew some people that essentially failed to slightly passed their 3U exams, and now they are doing really well. One example is this YouTuber called Nick, from ThatStudentLife, he failed his first three 3U exams in year 11. Now, his ATAR is 97.5 or somewhere around that while mentioning he did good in 3U.

Just learn from your mistakes, go through the content (maybe redo the test?), and just be confident.

I did quite crap in my first 2U exam (not a fail, but a bloody 67% for Algebra and Linear, how the hell...) but I knew it wasn't because I lacked knowledge, but rather habitual errors and my lack of revision.

I now am at a course average of 82%, obviously I could do much better, but I didn't let that first exam get to me despite how humiliating it was personally :p.

That's just my 2 cents, hope everyone does well for next term and I hope this helped you out! :)
Thank you for your encouragement! It helped a lot and I will my best to improve and stay confident when year 12 starts haha. It's good to know that it's normal to fail and it's never too late to improve.

I think it's a combination for me: I make lots of silly mistakes in the exams especially in the easier topics while there are topics I genuinely struggle with (Circle geometry...). I guess my plan now is to revise Circle Geometry now.. fun~

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for your encouragement! It helped a lot and I will my best to improve and stay confident when year 12 starts haha. It's good to know that it's normal to fail and it's never too late to improve.

I think it's a combination for me: I make lots of silly mistakes in the exams especially in the easier topics while there are topics I genuinely struggle with (Circle geometry...). I guess my plan now is to revise Circle Geometry now.. fun~
Good luck :)

disappointment

HSC
N/A
So my subjects for year 12 are:

Bio
Business
4U English
4U Maths

I have twelve units so is it possible to drop business or bio? I think a requirement for the HSC is to have four subjects so if I dropped business or bio would that mean I'm not doing four subjects? So I'm assuming that the extensions are the only units I can drop but by dropping business or bio I can dedicate more time to the extensions which I enjoy more.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
So my subjects for year 12 are:

Bio
Business
4U English
4U Maths

I have twelve units so is it possible to drop business or bio? I think a requirement for the HSC is to have four subjects so if I dropped business or bio would that mean I'm not doing four subjects? So I'm assuming that the extensions are the only units I can drop but by dropping business or bio I can dedicate more time to the extensions which I enjoy more.
You won't be allowed to drop either biology or business studies. A similar situation occured in my year and it ended up dragging my cohorts marks in one subject as they'd previously been studying but didn't bother for the HSC once they decided the subject wouldn't count.

RicoBurrito

HSC
Well I'm pretty late to this,
G'day
My Prelim Subjects are

- Engineering Studies
- Economics
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Adv. Math
- Adv. English
- SOR1

Dropping Eco and maybe SOR1 if I manage to pick up ext. science. In doing so I transcend into a STEM god.
Holidays lookin good right now and it sucks thinking this is our last actual break since all it's going to be is holiday hw and assignments. This holiday all I've been doing is revising physics, math, engo and chem, but of course I relaxed myself by playing Overwatch and Total War and also hyping for new music albums like "The Silver Scream" and "Anon". Overall I'm glad I've been able to approach a decent balance. Just living up to what a teacher said to me years ago, "Make the most out of your youth", thank you Sir.

G'luck 2019 Cohort

KingTings

HSC
Actually pretty keen for year 12, laters chemistryyy.
Love all the subjects I'm doing (english isn't that fun of a time). Hopefully we all can stay motivated and actually fulfil our goals without procrastinating to an extreme extent lmao.
P.S. Bad ranked schools (300+) > James Ruse

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Actually pretty keen for year 12, laters chemistryyy.
Love all the subjects I'm doing (english isn't that fun of a time). Hopefully we all can stay motivated and actually fulfil our goals without procrastinating to an extreme extent lmao.
P.S. Bad ranked schools (300+) > James Ruse
Must be a relief to be able to drop it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)