2021 HSC (1 Viewer)

A1La5

HSC
I’d rather they cancel hsc and just estimate my stupid mark then them having to push it back until 2022
ew were gonna end up doing the hsc with the year 11s lmfao nope
The problem is that it's mandated through legislation (NSW Education Act) that Year 12 students in New South Wales sit a statewide and standardized examination. NESA nor Gladys can't just cancel the HSC with a snap of their fingers, and I doubt at this point that either of them would want to go through the extra effort to find alternative procedures given the current state of affairs at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I really wouldn't mind having the HSC cancelled, but I feel it's a good idea to be realistic, because I'm doubtful cases will still be like this through Sep-Oct, given that the government finally gets a grip on things.

tito981

HSC
  • HSC students from the 8 LGAs will also not return to school if they go to school outside those LGAs.
wouldn't this mean that most schools would have to cancel their trials or have online ones, except the very few that have students only outside the LGA's.

vishnay

God
HSC
wouldn't this mean that most schools would have to cancel their trials or have online ones, except the very few that have students only outside the LGA's.
yes thats exactly whats happened

multitudinous schools have already moved their trials online or cancelled them entirely with some schools choosing to implement alternative assessment tasks

i think the main problem with online trials is the integrity surrounding them esp since cheating is rampant in online exams

last yr quite a few people from my school managed to cheat without getting caught and i do believe addressing this issue is important esp since trials have such high stakes attached to them

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
ProctorU (online exam monitoring proctor) was very dodgy and glitcy.

Has anyone actually had a good spyware proctor?

cloud_berry

HSC
my school is announcing what will happen on monday and if they make trials online i will be so mad… although my english teacher hinted that might happen 😔

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
if they use anti-cheating software what's stoppng you from just having a hard copy of ur notes in front of u while doing eexams??
The final exam I did for my compulsory business law unit in my first year of university required the use of ProctorU Live+, where you are required to show your room to a supervisor (including walls and desk) and any additional displays (such as extra monitors) are not permitted. You are under surveillance for the duration of the exam and cannot leave your computer while you're sitting the exam. Any suspicious attempts to cheat are quickly detected and students are penalised. If you are sitting a closed book exam, schools can use such software to make sure you don't cheat.

vishnay

God
HSC
I think teachers are aware that cheating is likely to happen but what can they do about it🤷🏼‍♀️
yeah and thats the problem i feel like more effective contingencies (more effective than just having ur camera facing ur writing space) need be put in place to deter cheating

these exams may not be as significant as the hsc but they do play a key role in shaping one's short term future and to fairly assess individual hardwork and capability i think it would be a much wiser option to delay the trial exams and the hsc exams

this might not be logistically sound but it does ensure the integrity of both the trial exams and the hsc exams whilst also ensuring a level of fairness for students who have been disproportionately affected by the lockdown

an assignment is welcomed if trials are cancelled but the importance of trials is that they give students preparation for the hsc and they are a much more accurate indicator of how students will perform in the hsc exam which i believe is vital

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
if they use anti-cheating software what's stoppng you from just having a hard copy of ur notes in front of u while doing eexams??
With ProctorU it is a real person spying on you in your bedroom.
Mine was an open book exam so that wasn't really a consideration.

hatterene

HSC
what are your thoughts on making hsc: 25% internals and 75% externals?

vishnay

God
HSC
what are your thoughts on making hsc: 25% internals and 75% externals?
allocating more weighting to the actual hsc exam would be infinitely better than the current 50/50 split

too bad everyone would complain about it as it would add too much "pressure" to a supposedly "already stressful" exam and teachers would think their shitty assessments were being undermined in favour of the hsc which tbf they would be

i understand the need for internal assessment tasks as they assess different essential skills for subjects i.e. research in science or speech writing in english and they provide an avenue for students who aren't as good as their peers in exams to do reasonably well in their hsc courses but at the end of the day if ur hsc exam mark is going to be used equivalently to ur internals then there should either be more written exam tasks (like there used to before) or ur internals should make up less of ur final hsc mark

cloud_berry

HSC
It's the only subject im dreading. It's the sole reason i'm wishing trials is postponed for me. I'll happily study for anything else.
for me it’s maths, it’s not frustrating to do like english but nothing ever seems to stick when i study maths. i studied maths everyday for like 3 weeks, i proceed to not study it for a week and i forget every single topic. rip all my effort
but honestly, fuck english too, especially Mod C.. mod c can die in a hole

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that if we look at the bright side, with online trial exams for subjects that require lots of writing such as English, things like time management and writing speed won't be as concerning if you are required to type your answers instead of writing them, assuming you guys type fast. :)

DarkOperator618

HSC
I think that if we look at the bright side, with online trial exams for subjects that require lots of writing such as English, things like time management and writing speed won't be as concerning if you are required to type your answers instead of writing them, assuming you guys type fast. :)
what do u define as fast

i go at 75 wpm

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
what do u define as fast

i go at 75 wpm
Yeah I think that would be a significant improvement over writing at around 30-35 wpm, particularly if you already know what you're writing about. I think I type about 50-55 wpm and I noticed that even that allowed me to finish essays quite faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)