2023 HSC chat (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
so you started with vectors in mx1? (that makes a lot of sense actually, since they are part of the complex nos topic)
and yeah haha literally tutoring
we started with series and sequences, then went on to adv functions and then vectors. after that is complex (topic split in two because i think the cambridge textbook also splits the complex topic in two lmao) then induction

i'm genuinely shocked at how time has passed i was surprised when i realised it was week 4 already

carrotsss

HSC
(topic split in two because i think the cambridge textbook also splits the complex topic in two lmao)
It’s soo weird, especially for my class since we use maths in focus as our main textbook (except we only get set like 1 question from it and then like 10 from Cambridge… idk it’s really weird), so I have to jump between chapter 1 and 3 for some topics, very confusing
i'm genuinely shocked at how time has passed i was surprised when i realised it was week 4 already
It’s scary, soon assessments will start happening and they will count for our hsc 😰

Sus24

HSC
having a goal in mind is probably the first step!!! believe me, my study 'routine' was horrendous throughout prelim as well 😭 it's interesting that people have to get 'invited' to do mx2 at some schools.....my mx1 class has 8 people from 3 different schools in it, and I was the only person even interested in mx2 :oops:
Anyways, it's always worth a shot (gotta be in it to win it), this is kinda cringey but, you'll reap the benefits of your efforts if you do work harder, significant improvement between prelim and HSC is very much possible.
Yeah jeez you’ve got a small ext class, mines 31 kids and that’s accelerated ext. Must be nice to be in a smaller class, less distractions, more chance of teacher help etc. yeah idk why my schools made it invite only but that’s just the way it goes ig. And hopefully I can be disciplined enough to bring my marks up enough to get invited for ext2

Sus24

HSC
That is an awfully strict requirement, seems a bit harsh?
Yeah I’m unsure why my school is like that in terms of ext2, maybe cause they like the keep the classes really small? My grade has around 450-500 kids so that might be it but still there wouldn’t be that many kids interested in ext2, or even capable of it

Sus24

HSC
I’m sorry whattt?! Damn your grade is massive, that must be so weird. I thought my grade was big but we’ve got like a third of that!
Yeah it gets really big in yr 11-12 when they bring in 150-200 girls on top of the 300 boys already there. Makes for a very long graduation ceremony at the end of yr12 I've heard

Last edited:

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I have a bio assessment due next week 😭 I'm kinda stressed because everyone in my class tends to do really well in assessments but they all failed their prelims (except me)
good luck! i have a prac test coming up, i'm trying to wonder what kind of prac they could use in mod 5... (there was a joke going around it was going to be a pregnant rat dissection lmfao). i messed up my prac a little bit in year 11 cos i wasn't careful :(, so hoping i get a lot better than that

Yeah jeez you’ve got a small ext class, mines 31 kids and that’s accelerated ext. Must be nice to be in a smaller class, less distractions, more chance of teacher help etc. yeah idk why my schools made it invite only but that’s just the way it goes ig. And hopefully I can be disciplined enough to bring my marks up enough to get invited for ext2
a lot of schools tend to make it invite only (mine did, and it was based on your final ranks for ext+adv. gl, i'm sure you'll ace your exams

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
It’s soo weird, especially for my class since we use maths in focus as our main textbook (except we only get set like 1 question from it and then like 10 from Cambridge… idk it’s really weird), so I have to jump between chapter 1 and 3 for some topics, very confusing
maybe you could suggest shifting to cambridge completely? mif is cringe 👎

It’s scary, soon assessments will start happening and they will count for our hsc 😰
definitely, but i'm looking forward to it, can't wait for it to be over actually

carrotsss

HSC
maybe you could suggest shifting to cambridge completely? mif is cringe 👎
I just don’t do the mif questions and do a few extra Cambridge questions lol

I agree though mif is way too repetitive and easy, it amazes me in lessons when some people haven’t done the Cambridge questions and it shows because they have no clue how to apply the method to anything other than an easy stock standard question

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC

I agree though mif is way too repetitive and easy, it amazes me in lessons when some people haven’t done the Cambridge questions and it shows because they have no clue how to apply the method to anything other than an easy stock standard question
i like the explanations in mif, but yea definitely not worth doing

strange how the default textbook in schools is mif though. i wonder why, because cambridge does start its exercises off with easy questions then slowly progresses harder

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Good luck with your bio assessment! I’m guessing it’s a hand-in?
Yes unfortunately, it's a MODEL and a report + annotated bibliograpy. The hardest aspect of the report is that it MUST be only 1 double-sided sheet of paper with size 12 font, and the questions we need to answer are for topics that literally could easily take many pages to explain (relative importance of franklin wilkins watson crick's contributions, how dna replication occurs and why it is important, and the importance of dna in general)

baitutangs

HSC
strange how the default textbook in schools is mif though. i wonder why, because cambridge does start its exercises off with easy questions then slowly progresses harder
our school uses cambridge and fitzpatrick as default textbooks! i don't think i've ever seen a mif textbook in my life 😯

Yes unfortunately, it's a MODEL and a report + annotated bibliograpy. The hardest aspect of the report is that it MUST be only 1 double-sided sheet of paper with size 12 font, and the questions we need to answer are for topics that literally could easily take many pages to explain (relative importance of franklin wilkins watson crick's contributions, how dna replication occurs and why it is important, and the importance of dna in general)
good luck!! that seems really difficult if there's so much content AND a bibliography to fit on 2 pages though ,, has your school stated a font you have to use or could you try using a smaller font style?

carrotsss

HSC
our school uses cambridge and fitzpatrick as default textbooks! i don't think i've ever seen a mif textbook in my life 😯
Unfortunately a lot of lower ranked schools use maths in focus as their textbook
Wow, that’s a weird assessment. We have a similar thing for chem except fortunately we’re only marked on our bibliography and the rest of the marks are for an in class quiz. I’m a bit confused about the point of this style of assessment though, but I guess it’s easier than a whole depth study

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
yeah lmfao i didn't even know mif existed until halfway through year 11 i think. i use fitzpatrick (i <3 fitzpatrick) and terry lee for personal study tho

Unfortunately a lot of lower ranked schools use maths in focus as their textbook

Wow, that’s a weird assessment. We have a similar thing for chem except fortunately we’re only marked on our bibliography and the rest of the marks are for an in class quiz. I’m a bit confused about the point of this style of assessment though, but I guess it’s easier than a whole depth study
i have a depth study for chem this term. it might be the same as what i had to do in y11 - basically we had to do a bunch of things to research on our own and hand in the bibliography for marking + do pracs in class with prac reports u needed to submit + a final exam based on our research. i hope the y12 one isn't as annoying as the y11 one but no promises :(

dsakvyilsa

HSC
good luck!! that seems really difficult if there's so much content AND a bibliography to fit on 2 pages though ,, has your school stated a font you have to use or could you try using a smaller font style?
yep, there's a specific font 💀 luckily the bibliography isn't included in the two pages

dsakvyilsa

HSC
We do our depth studies next term :)

No surprises

HSC

Feel like can do some mif challenge questions first if you got them all right then cambridge because mif is like basic concept,but cambridge is like harder questions and a lot of things are actually not in syllabus isn't it(IDK LOL)
I've seen a lot of my classmates actually don't do hw and just practice past paper from various school...I mean yea that's one of the way as well.

carrotsss

HSC
cambridge is like harder questions and a lot of things are actually not in syllabus isn't it(IDK LOL)
All Cambridge questions are in the syllabus (aside from a few outliers but pretty much everything is).
I've seen a lot of my classmates actually don't do hw and just practice past paper from various school...I mean yea that's one of the way as well.
Yeah past papers are the best, usually I just do a a bit of the exercise and then focus on past paper questions

No surprises

HSC
All Cambridge questions are in the syllabus (aside from a few outliers but pretty much everything is).

Yeah past papers are the best, usually I just do a a bit of the exercise and then focus on past paper questions
yea that's true past paper bff and maths is the type of subject u'll always find endless resources

hornsbystudylad

HSC
N/A
Do people have their first-round of HSC assessments coming up? How's everyone feeling?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)