• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

20yrs since Chernobyl (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
They monitored the radiation levels while they worked to determine how long they could stay there. On the roof the longest was a couple minutes, shortest was around 45 seconds. Some went up there 4 or 5 times over the whole operation.

*Minka*

HSC
The real devestation from Chernobyl is the legacy - it will slowly kill many people over the course of time. Of course, no disrespect intended to this who died in the explosion itself, but the cancer, radiation and other illness are the lasting tradegies.

spell check

HSC
Serius said:
alby please, i know what you are trying to say but one of my pet hates is when someone compares meltdowns to nuclear explosions, the difference is vast.

[and was chenobyl even classed as a meltdown??? i thought it was a partial]
'oh boy i sure hate it when people get their nuclear disaster terminology mixed up - that really gets me going'

worst pet hate ever

aristos

shorty p
HSC
the toxins left in the soil from the waste lasts way longer than just a couple of decades...infact the half life of uranium is 245000 years!!!!! so the desasterous effects of chernobyl are here to stay...

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
you are wrong, many people allready live near chenobyl, most of them are homeless and it sure isnt exactly safe, but they arent dropping off dead, they just have a higher chance of dieing at 60 from prostate cancer.

Uranium has nothing to do with it, neither does half lifes, this wasnt a radiactive material spill we are talking about, the radiation will take approx 800 years to return to previous safe levels, not 245000 years.

Its a pet hate because i am sick of stupid hippies gettings the two confused and using heroshima as some sort of reason as to why we shouldnt be using nuclear power right now, and then they have the nerve to suggest that another chernobyl might happen.... godamn ignorant hippies

Just to clarrify, a meltdown is NOT a thermonuclear explosion. A meltdown in itself is not dangerous, safety precautions mean that there is no real risk to the public as the contaiminants can be easily contained, its just a bitch to clean up and very expensive to rebuild.
the reason that radiactive contaminants were released was because a steam explosion and the lack of any containment structure caused all that shit to spray into the air. All the noble gases were released[cause they are gases, they just rushed throu the created hole] some iodine was realeased, which was the billowy steam shit everyone saw as well as some caesium and tellurium which were boiled into gases by the extreme heat and so they rushed out in the steam aswell, these radiactive ellements traveled through the air and settled on stuff, causing cancer and death, the spread of radiaton showed no similarity to a thermonuclear weopon at all.

The big killer would have been the caesium-137 as that shit was found in the soil all over russia, gets absorbed by insects, plants and people eat it and get sick.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
...thermonuclear explosion...
I'll take this as an honest mistake, but nuclear fusion has even less to do with this than a nuclear explosion.

The Chernobyl accident was, according to my old science textbook, a chemical explosion, not a nuclear one. The ruskies were, at that point conducting a test of sorts, and most of the safety protocols were overridden. Plus, the whole russian nuclear power program was horribly crude, just like most Soviet era technology, James Bond movies notwithstanding. Hence, this thing was more or less a one-off event, and the chances of this ocurring again is incredibly small.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)