22,000 confirmed dead in Burma(Myanmar) (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
THE death toll from Burma's worst natural disaster in living memory could reach 250,000, and millions of people will be homeless, a commentator says.

Cyclone Nargis savaged Burma's densely populated rice-growing Irrawaddy Delta region and Rangoon with winds of up to 200km/h at the weekend.

The hardline military dictatorship which rules Burma has so far put the number of deaths at 22,500. A further 41,000 are missing, according to official figures.

But Larry Jagan, former BBC Asia affairs editor, says military sources put the fatalities around 30,000.

"This is the worst natural disaster that Burma has suffered in living memory. It's very much like Burma's tsunami,'' he told ABC Television.

"I fear the death toll could mount to something like a quarter of a million people.''

The people had no warning and most Burmese cannot swim so the majority of them would have drowned, Mr Jagan said.

"The death toll is only the tip of the iceberg,'' he said. "The real problem is that we're talking about a mass homelessness, possibly in the millions of people in the delta and in Rangoon.''

World Vision health advisor Kyi Minn, who is in Rangoon, said an eye witness told him of the devastation in the delta region.

"He (an eyewitness) had to walk for two days ... because there is no transportation at all,'' Mr Minn told ABC Television.

"He said on the road, he saw corpses on the road and some are floating on the river, so the scene is quite devastating.''

The most pressing problem was to remove the trees from the road so supplies of fresh water and temporary tents could be moved in, Mr Minn said.

'They are climate change victims'
:rolleyes:

Former US vice president and now environmental campaigner Al Gore said the cyclone was a consequence of global warming, the Business and Media Institute reports.

“The death count in Myanmar from the cyclone that hit there yesterday has been rising from 15,000 to way on up there to much higher numbers now being speculated,” Mr Gore said.

“And last year a catastrophic storm from last fall hit Bangladesh. The year before, the strongest cyclone in more than 50 years hit China – and we’re seeing consequences that scientists have long predicted might be associated with continued global warming.” *
No thread on this yet? I'm shocked.

* Gore's at it again to promote his myth on 'Global Warming'.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
People die. That's life. As long as it is no one I know I don't care if 100 million people get killed. I feel sorry for no one.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
No thread on this yet? I'm shocked.

* Gore's at it again to promote his myth on 'Global Warming'.
Yeah I was thinking it strange I hadn't seen a thread on it.
Didn't even know about it until dinner last night when it was being spoken about.
Not sure if its just me, but I've hardly heard anything on it at all.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
“The death count in Myanmar from the cyclone that hit there yesterday has been rising from 15,000 to way on up there to much higher numbers now being speculated,” Mr Gore said.

“And last year a catastrophic storm from last fall hit Bangladesh. The year before, the strongest cyclone in more than 50 years hit China – and we’re seeing consequences that scientists have long predicted might be associated with continued global warming.” *
Of course.

In fact, all this cold weather and rain right here in NSW is the result of Global Warming as well.

That is cheap political opportunism if I've ever seen it. How about we leave the scientific analysis until after the devastation is cleared and the dead buried.

historykidd

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
People die. That's life. As long as it is no one I know I don't care if 100 million people get killed. I feel sorry for no one.
wow, yur so hard and mysterious.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
Don't you feel sorry for yourself for being a fat loser?

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Unfortunately this is third page news. I bet if the same thing happened in the US it'd be all over the news with appeals and phone charities and gay little events.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
gosh harsh:eek:
its not ur friends/relatives that are dying; but its someones

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
Unfortunately this is third page news. I bet if the same thing happened in the US it'd be all over the news with appeals and phone charities and gay little events.
Well it's not as if the Burmese government has been accepting of aid from countries that have previously fallen all over themselves to help.

Shoubadoo

HSC
I believe they said 22,000 dead and 40,000 missing, i.e. 62,000 dead.
Anyone noticed how we hardly bat an eye anymore upon hearing catastrophic news?

HalcyonSky

HSC
less than 2,000 people died in hurricane katrina

we never heard the fucking end of that, but this news gets half of page 3 allocated to it. heh.

Jess007

HSC
yeh, cause everyday its bad news. wheter its about the iraw war or natural disasters, weve just become immune to the sadness of it, its become an everyday thing these days... how bad, i guess it will take someone each person knows individually to die for us to wake up and care as we use to, i think it startedwith 9/11.

Shoubadoo said:
I believe they said 22,000 dead and 40,000 missing, i.e. 62,000 dead.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Up to 100,000 now

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Shoubadoo said:
Aye, and it seems, to me, to be a central problem revealed by moral psychology. For a semi-relevant study see: Sympathy and Callousness

Trajan

HSC
Yes it's such a tragedy.

I was actually in Burma during my holiday through South-East Asia....It's such a beautiful country.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)