22,000 confirmed dead in Burma(Myanmar) (1 Viewer)

xJennax

HSC
We havent heard much about it because they don't let anyone into the country to report on it.
It's sad, the death toll is getting so high. ;o

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
I have to admit I'm very sad about this, and even sadder in that I'm unable to help in any way unlike the 2004 Tsunami because I know ALL THE MONEY will be confiscated by the Generals and nothing will go to the people who need it most.

John McCain needs to be elected so we can invade Burma and liberate the people.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
why was my post deleted. i didn't say anything bad. all i said was "it's 200k now innit?" fags.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
what971 said:
2004 Tsunami

those people didn't need a shiet load of clothes cause they had no where to put it.
they needed raw materials to rebuild their houses and food. but the government sucks all the money. bastards.

HalcyonSky

HSC
fernando said:
why was my post deleted. i didn't say anything bad. all i said was "it's 200k now innit?" fags.
dude, nobody cares about burma and we dont want to be updated on the death toll, alright? Your post was marked as spam and subsequently deleted.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
well this is a thread that is discussing Burma and its death toll.. so it just seemed a lil relavent to me. ;)

HalcyonSky

HSC
fernando said:
so it just seemed a lil relavent to me. ;)
wrong. Burma is IRRELEVANT.

top news for today: PARIS HILTON TO WED BENJI MADDEN. Oh, and 8500+ dead in china earthquake. I think that's already received more coverage than burma.

Last edited:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
China deserved it. Communist muthafuckers.

As if not having liberty was enough, they come here to try to steal OUR liberty.

GTFO Communits hippies and go back to eating ur communist fries.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Fuck the Military Junta, just distribute the aid. And if they resort to violence, the world can see how fucked up this Government is.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
I hope Bush does something positive before he leaves office, that is invade Burma.

Bush urged to stage humanitarian 'intervention' in Burma

US lawmakers today urged President George W. Bush to consider "humanitarian intervention" in cyclone-hit Burma after its military rulers refused to allow foreign experts to direct relief efforts despite rising deaths

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23712884-2,00.html

Myanmar toll nearly doubles to 78,000

The official death toll from Cyclone Nargis has nearly doubled to almost 78,000, Myanmar state television reported. The United Nations, meanwhile, said that severe restrictions by Myanmar's military junta have left aid agencies largely in the dark about the extent of survivors' suffering.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/05/16/myanmar.ap/index.html

cs01001

HSC
what971 said:

As if not having liberty was enough, they come here to try to steal OUR liberty.

What are you on about?

Schroedinger said:
Yeah I'm rarely for invasions but I do believe someone (other than the US who is a bit too thinly spread on the ground at the moment) should probably initiate a military incursion and liberate the people of burma.

WHO'S WITH ME?
Definitely. But don't forget Burma has a sizeable armed force of its own, afterall its ranked #9 in the world. Bush should send the Marines in anyway :D

Its sad to see the military junta refusing aid at its doorstep when large numbers are awaiting help, and even worse confiscating aid so to sell it.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Myanmar junta extends Suu Kyi detention

Myanmar's military rulers have extended the five-year detention of pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, beating Tuesday's deadline by hours.

A government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that Suu Kyi's detention was officially extended Tuesday afternoon.

It was not clear if the extension was for six months or one year, AP reported.

The 63-year-old was told of her continued imprisonment by officials from the Home Ministry who entered her home prior to the announcement, the official told AP.

The junta has confined Nobel Peace Prize winner Suu Kyi in her home for 12 of the last 18 years. Her latest house arrest began in 2003 and has been renewed annually for the last five years.

According to the law in Myanmar, the regime could not add another year to her sentence unless it brought new charges against her. However, the exact reason for the extension of her detention has not been revealed.
Don't Miss

* Suu Kyi 'in darkness' after cyclone
* Disease fears loom over Myanmar
* Junta allows U.N. aid workers into Myanmar
* Special report: Myanmar cyclone
Impact Your World
o See how you can make a difference

Police rounded up about 20 members of her party who had marched to her house in the city of Yangon on Tuesday ahead of the junta's decision, said Sein Win, managing editor of Mizzima, an exile newspaper based in Thailand.

Because the Myanmar government exercises tight control of news within the country, exile groups are often the only source of information about what is happening inside.

Many of these news outlets operate out of Thailand, which is home to a large community of expatriates from Myanmar, which is also known as Burma.

Aung Zaw, editor-in-chief of Irrawaddy -- another magazine for Burmese exiles that is based in Thailand -- had said earlier Tuesday that it would be "a miracle if they released her."

Win of Mizzima added: "The junta knows she can shake up the country. If they release her, the opposition will be strengthened. And they want to get the opposition weaker and weaker."

Suu Kyi, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991, has become the face of the pro-democracy movement in Myanmar and the focus of a global campaign to free her.

The country last held multiparty elections in 1990, but the regime ignored the results. Tuesday is the anniversary of that landslide victory by Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party, Win said.

Last year, the government came under intense international pressure after using force to suppress a pro-democracy movement.

On Monday, Myanmar state media said that voters had overwhelmingly approved a draft constitution that strengthens the junta's rule.

State television station, MRTV4, reported that 92.93 percent of eligible voters approved the constitution in a referendum held Saturday.

New York-based Human Rights Watch said it had received indications that the referendum was conducted "in an atmosphere of official coercion and vote tampering."

The military government refused international or independent referendum monitors and United Nations assistance in conducting the voting, the group said.

"Burma's rulers have shown no less contempt for the political rights of the Burmese people with the referendum than they have with their welfare after the cyclone," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch.

"Governments that are truly concerned about Burma's people should push harder for real democracy and political openness."

The balloting was conducted amidst a humanitarian crisis in the Irrawaddy Delta and other regions devastated when Cyclone Nargis made landfall on May 2.

About 130,000 people either died or are missing, according to the United Nations. And more than 2 million have been rendered homeless.

Because of the disaster, the government postponed the original May 10 balloting in those areas. However, the government said that in other parts of the country, voters approved the referendum in equally overwhelming numbers: 92.48 percent.

The draft constitution makes way for general elections in 2010, but it has been met with skepticism from pro-democracy opposition leaders.
advertisement

The changes grant 25 percent of parliamentary seats to the military and states that the president can cede power to the military during a state of emergency.

"I will not be surprised if they keep her under arrest until 2010," Win said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/05/27/suu.kyi/index.html

Bastards :(

HSC
N/A
回复: Re: 22,000 confirmed dead in Burma(Myanmar)

what971 said:

say that to me please... but don't say that to those innocent people who have been killed in the quake...... you b**ch!

Dongle

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 22,000 confirmed dead in Burma(Myanmar)

what971 said:

Yes, liberty is a nice tangible resource which can be stolen by a bunch of flag-wavers who don't agree with you. Your idea of liberty is very narcissitic indeed. Furthermore, from the liberty/democracy angle you seem to adopt to hide your xenophobia, wouldn't 'natural justice' punish the government instead of the people? I mean, you're saying that they're all blood-sucking freedom-destroying commies, yet last time I checked not every Chinese person was in the CCP.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 22,000 confirmed dead in Burma(Myanmar)

Moreover, what are 'communist fries'?

Schroedinger said:
Yeah I'm rarely for invasions but I do believe someone (other than the US who is a bit too thinly spread on the ground at the moment) should probably initiate a military incursion and liberate the people of burma.

WHO'S WITH ME?
Aye.

11kloseboy

HSC
N/A
Lets hope the generals stop being dumb cunts and start doing what a normal government would do under the situation they currently are. I care about the deaths but Burma's been through so much tragedies in the last 20 years. Its not going to be easy to recover

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)