2nd year accounting student wanting job (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
hey guys
im bout to start 2nd year of my b commerce degree with a major in accounting, (im 6 months behind), what type of position would i be looking at if i want to get a job in that sort of field. anything would do, as long as its in an accounting firm or something. is it too early to start looking for an accounting-related job? as u can see i dont know much about this so any help would be reallllly appreciated
ta

kinematic

HSC
I'd check all the application dates for the big and small firms and start writing up some stuff to put on there. But I think you've missed the dates for this year, so go for some Vac work probably.

roadcone

HSC
ring up some of the smaller firms, you never know when they may need someone to fill the void of a cadet that has left.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Also, look out for winter and summer vacation positions.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There's also CA Achiever. Not sure what the exact requirements for that are, but if you're not eligible for vaccy work (in case you're not penultimate) then that's another avenue. This is organised through the Institute so check their website rather than the individual firms.

Pace_T

HSC
thanks for the replies, people :)
would i be considered "behind" if i didnt do a cadetship? do a lot of accounting students do them? im not really interested in working so much and having my degree take longer... i'd rather do vacational/weekend work, in an accounting firm or something. if i was looking at these types of jobs would i be looking at general office duties or something else? btw i wanna be a CPA accountant, but will do courses qualifying me in CA as well
thanks in advance!

khosanman

HSC
Dude there is no doubt that accounting work experience while studying is very beneficial.

But you certainly dont have to do it, especially if you want to do a CPA rather then a CA. There are plenty of firms out there looking for grads, and you will still be a good shot without experience. Its more for your top 10 firms probably that I would say it is a lot more of a necessity.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Pace_T said:
thanks for the replies, people :)
would i be considered "behind" if i didnt do a cadetship? do a lot of accounting students do them? im not really interested in working so much and having my degree take longer... i'd rather do vacational/weekend work, in an accounting firm or something. if i was looking at these types of jobs would i be looking at general office duties or something else? btw i wanna be a CPA accountant, but will do courses qualifying me in CA as well
thanks in advance!
Reality is most people don't do cadetships.

The only time people will really be ahead with a cadetship is that instead of coming back as a normal grad with 0 experience (vaccy/internship doesn't count here), they return either as a senior (leads the team) or a grad about to be promoted but takes on the role of a senior.

For all other places, unless they are being employed as a lateral recruit (i.e. experienced as opposed to a standard graduate), they will be treated the same as a normal fresh out of uni candidate.

Judging by your interests though, if you want to work in a prof services firm, CA is probably the way to go. But if you plan to work in the private sector, it's really upto you which way you choose to go. Wouldn't go so far as to say one is better than the other, although some are more recognised/held in higher esteem in different communities.

Of course doing a cadetship is very beneficial, but at most, you'll be 1-2 years behind... and in the long-term picture, this doesn't even amount to much.

Pace_T

HSC
thanks for the replies :)
i decided not to do something like a cadetship,sounds too hardcore for me :p

is a roflcopter
HSC
just go for vacationer roles when they come up in like july-aug-sept

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)