3 hours a night is not enough! (1 Viewer)

HSC
there is no need to study for 5 hours a day, it will do nothing, and by the 5th hour you will not take anything in. revise class work that day and if you think that you have to make notes then do them on stuff you learnt that day.

5 hours a day is way too much, i was not home for that everyday between getting home and going to bed.

work at about 3 hours a night that is all you need.

and rather then writing notes you are better to do past papers, then figure out what you do not remember, then re-read class notes, textbooks and study guides about that stuff

for maths heaps and heaps of past papers

karnage

HSC
Dont push yourself with 10billion hours a night. You're gonna burn out.

patty4848

HSC
I probably took a slightly different approach. If my homework was a handin task, then i'd do it, but for the majority of homework that i was given (which was just answering questions or whatnot and discussing in class the next lesson) i didn't do it and just made sure that i knew what we were doing.
Now imo i don't think anything more than 1-2 hours a night is necessary at this point in time. i'd even think that 1-2 hours every second night is ok at this point in time, however your assessments are the most important things, because whether you think you are ready or not, the first assessment is valuable in getting your rank up, because a portion of your grade will probably not have hit 'year 12 mode' yet and this is the opportunity for you to get in front early (take it from me - if you are in front early, you don't feel as pressured to improve your rank by the end of the year).

Now i experimented with a few study options throughout they year which included making notes every night and doing extra work to get ahead for what was happening the following lesson, but there was one thing that worked like a charm when it came to study: PRACTICE PAPERS for maths and sciences, and PRACTICE ESSAYS for english/humanities. Now because i did mainly english/humanities this year, i wrote a crapload of practice essays, including at the end of every topic i did a 'final essay' which was every bit of knowledge needed for that topic (addressing all dot points) to answer a question - and this will help you sooo much when you cram at the end of the year.

During the week i would do a total of maybe 6-8 hours over the 5 days of jotting down things that i didn't udnerstand and whatnot and making sure i understood them, and doing assessment tasks. and on the weekends, i always took saturday off (right up til the final exams) and i always worked hard on assessments on the sunday.

So ultimate advice, if you do subjects that require essays for the exam, start writing them now (you don't have to write all of it - whatever you're up to) because imo you learn so much more from practice essays that can be given feedback, then from reading notes, because you are applying knowledge rather than simply knowing it.

Good luck

2S1D3

HSC
Umm 3 hours for what you're doing is more than enough...I suggest you should work quicker and everyday before you start studying make a plan of what you're going to do on that day. Anymore than 3 hours a day will burn you out

2S1D3

HSC
lyounamu said:
I am seriously doing 2-3 hours a day right now and I am managing fine. I don't see how 3 hours isn't enough?

I think it really depends on how you study...

For example, I never do my homework, what a shame. But I really reckon homework is a piece of shit that is given by teachers...except maths homework. Instead, I study.

I don't make notes everyday. As someone already mentioned, it IS a waste of time to make notes everyday. I make notes on weekends where I can spare huge amount of time to do so and I use my weekdays reading over them and fixing some if I need to...

My timetable is like:

30 min bio
30 min business
30 min english reading
30 min english writing
1 hour maths.
My suggestion OP...copy this guy's plan

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
OP: Honestly you need to give yourself a break. It's been said by someone already, but prioritising is really REALLY important. You've said you don't like working on weekends, but really what's the harm in say doing 2 or 3 hours on either the saturday or sunday morning? It'll cut down the amount of work you're doing during the week, which is a bonus.

The other thing is, you need to figure out what style of studying suits you. I know a lot of people who find simply reading the textbook or study guide out loud works for them fine. For me, I learn best by taking down every word in class, (as writing ingrains stuff into my memory) but then when it comes to exams steering clear of my class notes and making my OWN notes as a combination of my memory as well as textbook/study guides/whatever else. Once you figure out what suits you you'll be able to cut your hours down significantly.

As for the person who said studying right before abn exam is bad as it makes you 'lose knowledge' (or words to that effect)... while it's not scientifically proven, the experience fo many people is that cramming just before walking into the exam room means they do worse than if they'd taking a more long-term approach (whether that be doing 5 hours a night from the start of year 11 to the end of year 12, or simply studying methodically and rationally for a week beforehand). This can be because the pressure of having to cram means that what knowledge was already in their head seems to disappear (or 'freezes up') under pressure.

Personally, I think that if you're doing 5 hours a night at this stage, you're going to burn out way before you even get to HSC. I've seen it happen to so many friends, who are (honestly) now walking into their HSC exams and not caring, because they've studied themselves silly when it didn't count.

Good luck :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Maths - Practice Questions. Just get your head around the concepts, do a few hw questions and then hit the past papers.

Science- You can make your own notes, or use someone else's. Again, hit the past papers asap.

English/Humanities- imo, making notes is just a waste of time. Should just be practising and refurbishing your essay skills.

Like countless of posters have said, prioritise. And cramming isn't that bad. :)

EDIT: Aim for your assessment tasks and assignments that have weighting first. Build up your internal ranks, and then start worrying about the externals.

Last edited:

PeterRickards

HSC
you guys need to chill the fuck out.

just make sure u get through assessments atm and stop doing so many hours...

u need to remember for the trials ur whole holiday will be study, most people do around 8-9 hrs a day for this "break". you need to be able to sustain urself throughout, dont burn out so quickly but driving so hard.
3 hours is fine..

remember that what it takes one person to study 5 hrs for can take another 1 hour, don't count hours but just set out certain topics u want to be confident in by a certain amount of time.

for example. ok for next tuesday i want to - have learned globalisation in ecos syllabus.
- binomial in maths
etc etc.

Last edited:

PrettyVacant

HSC
minijumbuk said:
Depends what you want to achieve.

If you're aiming at 97+ UAI, it's certainly not enough.
Um are you kidding me? Dude 97+ UAI is definitely doable with 3 hours a night..less even. It depends on how effectively you use your time and how quickly you're able to learn things. Natural intelligence helps a little bit too for certain subjects. But really, "it's certainly not enough" = BULLSHIT. 3 hours a day is fucking plenty and I know many many MANY people who will get above 97 who have not put in more than 3 hours a day to achieve it. I'd say if you wanted 99+, yes, you should probably work for at least 2 hours a night. But excessive amounts of study do not result in a great UAI, and great UAIs can be attained through studying SMART, not studying HARD.

Razzah

HSC
During the normal school week I would do about 2-3 hours total work (for the whole week) and I'd say I'm heading towards a 97+....

Different methods for different people.

JamesTockuss

HSC
Sarah182 said:
I am getting overwhelmed already!
3 hours a night isnt enongh to keep notes from the syllabus and for homework aswell. Im driving myself mad by doing up to 5 hours a night at the moment just to stay on top of everything.
What I've been doing is looking at the syllabus, making notes, doing some questions from textbooks and study guides then a few days later typing up the notes.... but its just taking so long!
Has anyone else found this?
The first week was fine but now I have assessments and homework to do.

Any tips for more effective study?

Cheers :)

The key to success in the HSC is not to study constantly without a break. The key is to pace yourself, and make sure that the study you DO do is effective and stays in your mind. Studying 5 hours a night will not help if it's just gunna slip out the next day. Maybe during the week you should pace yourself, while on the weekend get stuck into it hard (if thats what you're set on doing)

Plus if you're only starting Year 12 and you feel like you're overwhelmed then you're in for some trouble later on -_-. Just take it easy and find a balance

Allan vB

HSC
u-borat said:
In all seriousness, I have not done any work all year except for the 3 weeks preceding exam periods.

But if you want to keep on top of your work, writing notes, as velocity said, is pointless.
instead, just read over what you did that day/what you're going to be doing tomorrow.
What, exactly, does 'ex libris' mean? I know that 'ex' means from, so does libris have anything to do with liberty/liberalism? That doesn't seem to be very bookish, though...

Wrong place to ask but oh well...

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
youngminii said:
Your humongous font makes me cower
Not.
How dare you tell someone NOT to study? We're not CRAMMING or DRILLING stuff into our heads, the assessments for us are far off from now
Cramming is last minute studying right before an exam
The HSC is a lifetime opportunity for some people, and we'd like to make the best of it no matter what you think about it
Also, lol @ your scientifically proven 'fact'

Anyways, how is making notes pointless? As long as they're relevant, they're like, goldmines during assessment times
But then, questions are better I suppose
Your sarcasm makes me realise what an idiot you are. 5 hours is pointless. If you actually did 5 straight hours a night, 2 hours would probably get in. No human can do 5 hours straight you moron. As I said, doing study with friends rather than alone + going outside to learn stuff is much more effective than sitting in some cramped up room with a computer that makes you eager to go on technological influences such as facebook. I'm sorry but I think I just won the argument. But don't worry, there's some slops you can eat as a consolation prize. Good fight though. Maybe try to find a more persuasive argument next time?

Lebstr

HSC
ziggy.zoozah said:
sorry last time i checked i was the one who is currently doing hsc exams whilst youre doing mere assessments. shut up. ive had far more experience. hsc is overrated and its far better to NOT to study than to do it because cramming and drilling stuff into u makes you lose knowledge - its scientifically proven if u dont believe me. so shut up and actually listen to someone who's in the middle of her hsc exams, mmkay?
lol but look at the subjects ur doing. 1 night and uv finsihed studying for all

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
Lebstr said:
lol but look at the subjects ur doing. 1 night and uv finsihed studying for all
love the exaggeration. but ur right - for ppl like me and the poster, i dont have to study that much. the results will show soon.

gw0ng

HSC
yeh it is

hsc isn't that hard.

in the final exams they test fuck all

just finished hsc btw. hoping for 3000 UAI +

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I've been thinking this over and I have decided to head more for doing questions rather than making notes.
I have noticed that just about everyone in my year is in a simlar boat as me, as in they have found the workload difficult so far.

I was a crammer Year 7-11 Im trying to change that.
Do you think a UAI of 96 is possible with 2-3 hours?

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Sarah182 said:
I am getting overwhelmed already!
3 hours a night isnt enongh to keep notes from the syllabus and for homework aswell. Im driving myself mad by doing up to 5 hours a night at the moment just to stay on top of everything.
What I've been doing is looking at the syllabus, making notes, doing some questions from textbooks and study guides then a few days later typing up the notes.... but its just taking so long!
Has anyone else found this?
The first week was fine but now I have assessments and homework to do.

Any tips for more effective study?

Cheers :)
Three words "Crash and burn"

Cool off quick while you still can... I bet that 5 hours is more procrastination than anything else.

Last edited:

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Sarah182 said:
I've been thinking this over and I have decided to head more for doing questions rather than making notes.
I have noticed that just about everyone in my year is in a simlar boat as me, as in they have found the workload difficult so far.

I was a crammer Year 7-11 Im trying to change that.
Do you think a UAI of 96 is possible with 2-3 hours?
they estimated my UAI to be 96.7 based on my trial results and rank.

I did less than one hour a night on average...

the week before the HSC was obviously different. But it was rarely more than 2 a day on average.

Just get good sleep, be organised.

p.S I don't know if I'll get 96.7... but... maybe 93 lol. Everyone else seems to think I'll be getting 98+ but I dont reckon I will.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
PeterRickards said:
you guys need to chill the fuck out.
+1.

seriously, just work on assessments for now and get awesome internal ranks. that's all that matters by the time you get to the star of the hsc. trials is going to burn you all out so bad regardless so relax while you can!
i mean, go ahead and do summaries or past papers or whatever works for you, but 5 hours a night is utterly ridiculous when you are like, what, 3 weeks into year 12?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)