3 unit vs year 10 (1 Viewer)

dionb2014

HSC
Hey forum,

I have a dilemma. as a lot of you know I have completed the year 10 curriculum in math. This year the accelerated program works that the year 10 curriculum is completed in 2 terms and the next 2 terms are spent beginning the 3 unit course. I am getting very bored with the year 10 course. Should I work really hard and try and do really well in the year 10 maths we do, or cruise around 90-95% and start spending most of my time on 3 unit?

HSC
Uni Grad
Do really well in the year 10 maths. Year 10 maths serves as a foundation to the 3U course. if you can't do the basic stuff in year 10, then why do the 3U stuff?

dionb2014

HSC
No I know all the year 10 stuff but I could always spend another 2 terms getting better at it.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
All you really need are the algebra skills like surds, indices etc and perhaps some knowledge of trigonometry.

Everything else is non-essential.

I have a student who is brilliant with their algebra skills, and it took me no longer than 3 lessons to finish differential calculus, up to and including max/min problems.

Conversely, I've had a student who was absolutely terrible with their algebra skills, and consistently made mistakes such as:

And it took me a very long time to finish teaching them the same things, because so much time in the lesson was spent fixing up algebra mistakes.

such_such

HSC
Well I think you should start doing the 3 unit course. You seem eager enough. It's not hard at all. I did some topics in year 12 3 unit when I was in year 10 and I balanced it well :) I know some people who didn't even touch the year 10 course for the whole year and still got 98+. So if you're that confident you can pull it off, go for it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)