• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

300: Written by Frank Miller (Sin City), Directed by Zack Snyder (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
Re: Frank Millers 300!!!!!

walrusbear said:
am i the only one who thinks it looks like a bad computer game?

(will see it anyway)
man, i'm already fucking SICK of the idea that a good comic book adaptation involves transposing what's already on the page to the screen in the most technically efficient but soulless manner possible. miller's work is good because his drawing conveys such a profound sense of motion, which is rendered inert by copying and pasting for the friday night movie crowd. "OH, BUT IT'S A FAITHFUL ADAPTATION THAT WAY!!!" is inevitably the reaction from fanboys, but i'd much prefer something that more imaginatively captures the spirit of a comic book and what you feel while you read it rather than a mechanical, glorified copy+paste job. the spiderman movies, for all their flaws, are a good example of the former.

and for the record, i liked sin city fine but by the third story i was already numbed by its style and decided i'd had enough of its gimmick for my life. and without rourke it'd be borderline crappy.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC

icecreamdisco said:
man, i'm already fucking SICK of the idea that a good comic book adaptation involves transposing what's already on the page to the screen in the most technically efficient but soulless manner possible. miller's work is good because his drawing conveys such a profound sense of motion, which is rendered inert by copying and pasting for the friday night movie crowd. "OH, BUT IT'S A FAITHFUL ADAPTATION THAT WAY!!!" is inevitably the reaction from fanboys, but i'd much prefer something that more imaginatively captures the spirit of a comic book and what you feel while you read it rather than a mechanical, glorified copy+paste job. the spiderman movies, for all their flaws, are a good example of the former.

and for the record, i liked sin city fine but by the third story i was already numbed by its style and decided i'd had enough of its gimmick for my life. and without rourke it'd be borderline crappy.
I agree. I did the graphic novel "the Yellow Bastard" for my extension english project and was displeased by the absence of veracity the film portrayed in relation to the novel version.

I haven't read the comic version of this film, but expect it will be the same. Yet as I said before, I am watching this film for one thing only.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A

AlleyCat said:
I agree. I did the graphic novel "the Yellow Bastard" for my extension english project and was displeased by the absence of veracity the film portrayed in relation to the novel version.

I haven't read the comic version of this film, but expect it will be the same. Yet as I said before, I am watching this film for one thing only.
I read "The Hard Goodbye", and that part of Sin City was taken from it almost frame by frame.

Not sure if 300 will be made in the same way, but judging by the trailer it seems that some parts could be (despite the addition of subplots). The graphic novel is great though, not exactly historically accurate, but very cool all the same.

Anyway, I'm about to go and try my luck at getting in.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Woo, got in without any trouble.

Awesome stuff, it made me (and my friends) feel like grabbing a red cape and beefing up to run down the street with some swords.

Not exactly historically accurate, but great all the same. A highlight for me was the camera following King Leonidas as he fought, speeding up and slowing down and eventually tracking with a spear. Also, the scene on the cliff that was taken straight from the GN.

Overall, one to catch at the cinema. I just don't think it would be the same at home.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
It's earnt a record breaking (for a March release) A$90million in the states.

Fish Sauce said:
Woo, got in without any trouble.
Where are you? In the states at the moment? It's not out here yet...

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
Where are you? In the states at the moment? It's not out here yet...
I'm in Singapore, sometimes we get movies first, sometimes they come out in Australia first.

Like Hot Fuzz isn't out here yet, but 300 is.

Win some, lose some :p

milsirhc

HSC
N/A
The trailer looks very good! Will catch it once it's release here!

lacklustre

HSC
Saw 300, but I don't think a crappy CAM will do it any justice. Therefore I am reserving further judgement until I have seen it at Imax. (woohoo!) Although I did think that the characters were not very deep.

Did anyone else think the blood looked kinda fake as it flew through the air?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Cool. I remember learning about that battle in high school ancient history. Its an American Movie, so no doubt they will go to great lengths in order to be fully historically accurate and all :p (remembers the scene in Troy where they put coins on the dead Hector for his journey into the underworld :/).

cloche

Isobel
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Ooohh. This looks EPIC.

Like Sin City, it is as picturesque and also based on the original comic/graphic novel. The cinematography looks like it will always be a strong point. Directed by Zack Snyder (Dawn of the Dead).

Stars Gerard Butler (Phantom of the Opera) and Aussie actor David Wenham (Lord of the Rings, Van Helsing). It's also Rated R for High Level Battle Violence and some sexuality/nudity. (Horay!) Soundtrack also looks awesome, it is Nine Inch Nails somewhere in it.

It is about:

Trailer 1 is here (Windows Media Player 300K)

Trailer 2 is here (Windows Media Player 300K) or here (Quicktime Movie Trailer)

Comes out on the 5th of April

Um. I am fucking seeing this.
I desperately want to see this! (17 days to go, ARGH!!)

P.S. The trailer is strangely arousing - makes me wish I was a Spartan, hah!

cloche

Isobel
HSC
AlleyCat said:
Actually, now that I know that the hot guy from Love Actually is in it, I think it might be worth my $9.30.
HAH, except he's virutally unrecognisable! I believe they made him appear taller and androgynous - they also shaved all his hair, apparently. So unless you dig that sort of thing... :p

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
cloche said:
HAH, except he's virutally unrecognisable! I believe they made him appear taller and androgynous - they also shaved all his hair, apparently. So unless you dig that sort of thing... :p
Well yes, actually. I most certainly do. :eek:

Though to be honest, I don't think I'll actually get around to seeing this one. Its ok though, I can just look at the graphic novel, which is sure to be IDENTICAL.

I'll spend my money on Mr Bean's Holiday instead. Adaptation of the Jaques Tati classic? y/y icecreamdisco?

icecreamdisco

HSC
AlleyCat said:
I'll spend my money on Mr Bean's Holiday instead. Adaptation of the Jaques Tati classic? y/y icecreamdisco?
adaptation - no, title homage - likely.

i didn't laugh once at the trailer, but i liked the first movie more than most people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)