300: Written by Frank Miller (Sin City), Directed by Zack Snyder (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
adaptation - no, title homage - likely.

i didn't laugh once at the trailer, but i liked the first movie more than most people.
i'm not a fan of anything rowan atkinson did after the 80s
but i really liked the line about sharing a cell with 'butch mcdick' in bean :p

Won Hyo Mi

HSC
The review so far say this is a very gruesome movie...or something like that ...i relaly want to watch it though

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
gruesome? whatever. American critics are such whiney bitches when it comes to violence. "Oh waa Sin City hurts my eyes even though the blood in this scene has been made white!" Please.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It was very stylistic and a very good watch, though I haven't watched it critically. Very enjoyable (since i'm a history buff regardless of whether its actually accurate or not). Highly recommended.

icecreamdisco

HSC
AlleyCat said:
haha...

"tonight, we dine, in HECK!"

"FROSTI-I-I-ING!"

I love you, man.
everything about it just does it for me, i've seen it like 10 times.

"BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!!"

you're good folk, alleycat.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Awful.

Stylistically it looked brilliant. But that didn't make up for the stark lack of script structure or good acting. It just wasn't fun. Can't say I could recommend it to anyone, other than Frank Miller fanatics or those incredibly interested in seeing an inaccurate recreation of the Battle of Thermopylae on screen.

But it's great to see David Wenham up there.

stargaze

HSC
What I expected.

From a red-blooded man testosterone perspective it was pretty good. Very violent and bloody. Lots of manliness going on.

From a more critical perspective, it really lacked character development and the build up of a plot. Stylistically it was ok, nothing amazing about the visual effects.

Well in conclusion, it thought it was great entertainment and cinema-worthy. By cinema-worthy I mean it is worth seeing in a cinema environment, primarily because of all the action that takes place.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Stylistically it looked brilliant.
Saw it earlier today and this is exactly why I love it. Of course another story could come along and adapt such techniques to a much better script, but for me the mere beauty of the images was more than enough to captivate my imagination and that's all I need for an enjoyable movie experience.

spiny norman

HSC
I went into this fairly sceptical, truth be told, but found it fairly enjoyable. I could point out a huge amount of things about it which were just outright weird (the live action version of the Team America sex scene, the fucking goat playing the lute, Xerxes being 9' tall), but it didn't really matter to me for I just really enjoyed it as it was.

Perhaps I was just in an easily pleased mood today, I'm not sure.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
timobr0 said:
This is blasphemy! This is madness!
This is delicious!

this..iS.. CAKETOWN!!

no seriously, this movie was a Piece of Shit. yeah, it looekd good. but the dialogue and plot were shambles. and thats what made it hella annoying. The good line about the arrows blotting out the sun was actually borrowed from history. The rest was crap.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Meh it was alright. Liked it but I wish it was better. Saw Spiderman3 trailers though. That looks good

Oh and in the credits look out for "transvestite (asian)#1, transvestite (asian)#2, transvestite (arabic) #3"

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm so mixed about this movie. I don't really have a sure opinion on it. It was visually stunning, and I liked their "slowing down and speeding up" footage of the action. I think it really did the action scenes a lot of justice. It wasn't a typical sprawl of blood and death. By using this technique you could actually see some strategy. I really loved that. It was honestly its biggest strong point.

I thought the sex scene with the King & Queen was ridiculous. Just snippets of her going "OH!" about ten times like we didn't get the picture after the fifth "uh" noise. I thought it was seriously unnecessary and became a "here's one for the boys" scene.

The narrating got a bit tiresome for me. It was okay, but at times, I was like "shut up, we don't need you to tell me what I can already see". I realise that there was a character narrating the whole way through, but there were other ways you could have done this. "The wolf circles" was said after we had been watching the wolf circling for the last 5 minutes :/ This really affected me, as it somehow kept reminding me I was watching a movie, rather than letting me get engrossed with it.

Other than that, I liked it as eye candy and an awesome way to depict war.

I find it interesting, as I was reading reviews AFTER I watched the movie, that some critics are just so confused about this movie. They keep mentioning its historically inaccurate which wrecks their credibility as a critic. I also found reviews that compared this movie to the Bush Administration with their handling of the Iraq war. Oh I can see comparisons, but this was a comic created several years ago...

So I can't really find anyone who can articulate what I felt after watching this movie. I can't say it's one of my favourites to go and change my BoS avatar. But I did love it as eye candy. Perhaps much in the same way as (on the otherside of the masculinity scale) Marie Antoinette by Coppola, which had awesome eye candy, but really lacked substance and effective story-telling.

Oh and as for the homoeroticism that someone mentioned - that it might not have enough? Haha, there was quite a bit, if you're not naive, on both the Persian and the Spartan side.

Last edited:

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Oh and as for the homoeroticism that someone mentioned - that it might not have enough? Haha, there was quite a bit, if you're not naive, on both the Persian and the Spartan side.
Fuck I thought half through the movie they were going to stop fighting and just start humping each other. They seemed gayer then Frodo and Sam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)