3616 teaching standards (1 Viewer)

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
Had first 3616 lecture today and seriously, about 20 people walked out of the lecture in the first 5 minutes.

I'm from an asian background, and I'm fairly tolerant to dealing with ethnics.
But if found the lecturer's accent totally incomprehensible. Kiwi's swap their "e" and "i" around but this guy.... he swaps all 5 vowels around randomly.

I dont generally pay ppl out for their accents, but when my marks partially depend on regurgitating back what they are saying, i'm not happy.

its pissing me off, as i'm a full fee paying student, and I feel cheated. UNSW ASB is one of the most expensive courses in Australia and this is the standard of lecturers that unsw is providing me!?!?

emailed a complaint to the head of school, and the admin people, only to get a polite reply along the lines of : The guy's got a PHD, so suck shit, tough luck.
Like wow, me thinks his PHD must stand for permanent head damage!

Theres a few posts out there paying out Henry Yip, but i disagree and find him easy to understand, and at least really trying to help students.

sorry guys, i'm just bitching here, because the school of finance cant take any critcism.

jeffchong

HSC
lol. I was in 3616 lecture today as well. That fob lecturer is totally crap. I couldn't understand 80% of what he's saying, even when I am paying 123.654% concentration.
Oh yea. I'm also doing 2624, and after hearing from numerous complaints about him, I was expecting Henry Yip to be crap. But apparently, I actually liked his lecture (well, at least for the first one). But this Bohui dude is totally crap. I agree with you - it is very irresponsible for ASB to let such a crappy lecturer lecture us. No matter how smart he is, if he can't teach what he knows to others, he's useless.

Btw, where were you in lecture? I was in the first row :D

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst I found Henry Yip's subject a *****, you will find most people complain because his exams are crazily unrealistic and unexpected. He's not the best teacher but he tries and you can see that he is really trying to make it interesting/relevant/etc.

As for 3616, I think it's a different guy to when I did it so no comment.

If you want a shocker of a subject, check out 3630 :p At least it's a WAM booster.

Btw to TC, I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. I am a CSP and I already feel jipped, and I did raise the remark to my friends before that I feel sorry for int'l students who have to pay full fare and come all the way over here to learn English.

peerlessgenius

HSC
N/A
totally agree, i was in the lecture today as well. LOL, most of the time I fell asleep.
what the, I m a farking international student who wants a local speaker teacher, that's why i came here.
UNSW is the most commercialization uni in AUS i can say, it fools ppls around the world!
sucks!!

jeffchong

HSC
Something new I learn today:

"zher impulse anz xbox of a muldinationel gobberraytion..." <---lol try to decipher this

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
I had kingsley fong when i did 3616, wasn't too bad.

Henry Yip was just an asshole. he complained about my semester to the following semester that he hoped they weren't as bad as us.

If you really want to complain about the lecturer, go to the dean for drastic action. Just say how the inability to comprehend what they are saying is impeding your studies, and how you're an international student who has to pay full fee and had higher expectations of the standard level of lecturing.
Or just something like that. I'm sure he would do something about it.

Last edited:
HSC
Had first 3616 lecture today and seriously, about 20 people walked out of the lecture in the first 5 minutes.

I'm from an asian background, and I'm fairly tolerant to dealing with ethnics.
But if found the lecturer's accent totally incomprehensible. Kiwi's swap their "e" and "i" around but this guy.... he swaps all 5 vowels around randomly.

I dont generally pay ppl out for their accents, but when my marks partially depend on regurgitating back what they are saying, i'm not happy.

its pissing me off, as i'm a full fee paying student, and I feel cheated. UNSW ASB is one of the most expensive courses in Australia and this is the standard of lecturers that unsw is providing me!?!?

emailed a complaint to the head of school, and the admin people, only to get a polite reply along the lines of : The guy's got a PHD, so suck shit, tough luck.
Like wow, me thinks his PHD must stand for permanent head damage!

Theres a few posts out there paying out Henry Yip, but i disagree and find him easy to understand, and at least really trying to help students.

sorry guys, i'm just bitching here, because the school of finance cant take any critcism.
i cant stand school of finance at unsw. bar a few AWESOME lecturers/tutors they are on a general basis shit. i understand your pain, i hated 3616. this is why i'm doing my masters at macquarie university.

henry yip is the asian equivilant of satan, i hate the man and hope a bus hits him

jeffchong

HSC
Anyone attended Henry's lec from 11am-1pm on today (Wednesday)? He was such an asshole today..... wtf

ymj

HSC
hahaha me and my friend couldn't stop laughing at the accent

Efficient5

HSC
LOL I went to the week 1 lecture. I felt sorry for him because ppl kept leaving and it wasn't his fault that he had an accent.
I dont go to any commerce lectures anymore, so useless.

HSC
but its not his accent. i have roughed through thicker accents. tho nguyen (sp?) had an even thicker accent. but hte lecturer was a top person. in an exam forgot a pencil, rather than giv me a lecture on how i should bring my own he runs around gets me a pencil, sharpener and rubber! tells me good luck

in lecturs he stops and helps.

i dare anyone here to stop henry yip and ask him a question about content, he will condescend you. now i had a legal tutor did the same thing, im not sure if its a method of teaching asians (no racist) are accustomed to where they teach and students shutup until end of the lesson... but regardless its a method of teaching where i dont learn best from

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)