3U or 4U Maths? (1 Viewer)

timeflies

HSC
Okay well the thing is that at the moment, I am doing Advanced English, 4U Maths, Physics, Chem and Bio.

I enjoy studying the sciences and believe I can get relatively good marks in all of them. But with 4 unit maths, this leaves me with a lot of work to do, considering I'm also planning to perhaps have a go at the UMAT next year and maybe practice that sometimes too. So now the question is whether I should stick with Extension 2 Maths or drop down to Extension 1. Obviously the aim is to maximise my ATAR and I know how well 4 unit maths is said to scale. But about how much do you need to get in 4U, for it to be equal to a 85+ in 3U?

My marks for Maths in prelim were 2nd in 2U (90) and 1st in 3U (80). What do you guys think the best course of action is? Maybe I should wait until the first 4U assessment and see how I go there? If I do wait and do that first test, what do you think should be the mark/rank that would indicate that I should stick with or drop 4U? (Its going to be on Complex Numbers and Conics)

Sorry, I know thats a lot of questions in one :p Feel free to only answer a bit of the question! Thanks for any help! :)

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
4u is worth it. Even though it seems like a huge trek (believe me there were heaps of times when I just got frustrated!!) I would definitely recommend persisting. Others who have done it and survived have also told me how well it pays off in the end. It will also really help with your three unit. And if you want a general idea of how well 4u scales, I've heard a 90 raw can scale you up towards a 99.95. But don't do it for the scaling, do it because you enjoy maths!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timeflies

HSC
4u is worth it. Even though it seems like a huge trek (believe me there were heaps of times when I just got frustrated!!) I would definitely recommend persisting. Others who have done it and survived have also told me how well it pays off in the end. It will also really help with your three unit. And if you want a general idea of how well 4u scales, I've heard a 90 raw can scale you up towards a 99.95. But don't do it for the scaling, do it because you enjoy maths!!

Thanks for your words, they seem reassuring :) I think I'll stick with it for the time being and see where it takes me!

kwu1

HSC
Okay well the thing is that at the moment, I am doing Advanced English, 4U Maths, Physics, Chem and Bio.

I enjoy studying the sciences and believe I can get relatively good marks in all of them. But with 4 unit maths, this leaves me with a lot of work to do, considering I'm also planning to perhaps have a go at the UMAT next year and maybe practice that sometimes too. So now the question is whether I should stick with Extension 2 Maths or drop down to Extension 1. Obviously the aim is to maximise my ATAR and I know how well 4 unit maths is said to scale. But about how much do you need to get in 4U, for it to be equal to a 85+ in 3U?

My marks for Maths in prelim were 2nd in 2U (90) and 1st in 3U (80). What do you guys think the best course of action is? Maybe I should wait until the first 4U assessment and see how I go there? If I do wait and do that first test, what do you think should be the mark/rank that would indicate that I should stick with or drop 4U? (Its going to be on Complex Numbers and Conics)

Sorry, I know thats a lot of questions in one :p Feel free to only answer a bit of the question! Thanks for any help! :)
I did pretty much the same subjects. Advanced English will take up quite a bit of time, especially with the essays and follow up work. Bio and chem are content heavy, so yet again they will consume quite a bit of your time. I have heard physics is quite manageable. On the other hand, my main concern for you is dealing with the amount of practice and responsibility that you carry with doing 4U maths. I would recommend sitting the first 4U exam and then deciding whether to continue or drop it there on. 12 units is quite stressful if you want to do well.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Woah holy crap! I guess my teacher was way off when he told us lol

In school you will need around 90ish raw if you want to look at an e4.
Got that for trials, nek minnit 65 raw for HSC, which is borderline e4, high e3.

timeflies

HSC
I would recommend sitting the first 4U exam and then deciding whether to continue or drop it there on. 12 units is quite stressful if you want to do well.
In school you will need around 90ish raw if you want to look at an e4.
Got that for trials, nek minnit 65 raw for HSC, which is borderline e4, high e3.
Thanks for your advice :) The first assessment for 4U is gonna be on Complex Numbers and Conics. My question now is what do you think the mark or rank (we have about 8 people in the class) is that would indicate that I should stick with 4U?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for your advice :) The first assessment for 4U is gonna be on Complex Numbers and Conics. My question now is what do you think the mark or rank (we have about 8 people in the class) is that would indicate that I should stick with 4U?
Above 70 maybe?

HSC

Hey, I know where you coming from, I had a close friend in this situation last year, Only do maths ext 2, if you good at it and you enjoy it, if you actually enjoy maths ext 1, then it will benifit you to do maths ext 2, don't worry about scale of maths ext 2 if you not good at it.

Getting a mark of say 60-70 in 4u, I think you should stay because at the end of the day, it will help your Atar. So if you think your not going to get a good mark in maths ext 2, there is no point staying there and wasting your time, as it will waste your time from the sciences and hence you might even perform poor in your science assessments/exams because of staying in maths ext 2.

So I would say drop 4u maths if your struggling now and focus on the sciences and English advanced more. I mean you can still get a good Atar 99+ if you drop maths ext 2, as long as you get the marks and your ranks are high enough like in top 3 in a poor school and top 10 in a selective school.

good luck, :)

Last edited:

timeflies

HSC
So I would say drop 4u maths if your struggling now and focus on the sciences and English advanced more. I mean you can still get a good Atar 99+ if you drop maths ext 2, as long as you get the marks and your ranks are high enough like in top 3 in a poor school and top 10 in a selective school.

good luck, :)
I do go to a selective school although it does have a small population haha! I do believe I can achieve top 3 in my science subjects if I put in the work. Thanks for your advice! I do enjoy maths (not as much as sciences though) and I think I'll stick around for that first 4U test and try my best there and if I do not get over 70, I'll drop it and focus on my sciences and english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)