3unit methods in 2unit (1 Viewer)

anddwhat

HSC
Can we use 3unit methods in a 2unit paper? For example polynomials, helping us to graph quickly; immediately seeing double roots and points of inflexion. Like graphing : (x-4)^2(x+1)^3.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Can we use 3unit methods in a 2unit paper? For example polynomials, helping us to graph quickly; immediately seeing double roots and points of inflexion. Like graphing : (x-4)^2(x+1)^3.
Yes i did dividing the interval and angle btwn 2 lines in 2 unit trial lol
BUT be CAREFUL, be secretive, like try to hide it and say u used table of values, but i think u can use 3u in 2u

barbernator

HSC
that isn't a 3 unit method, but yes you can use 3 unit methods if you have learn't them, but 99% of the time you wouldn't have to use them

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
Why would you need to be careful? As long as you show all working out, it's fine. It's like using 4u methods on 3u exam, they're not going to punish you for seeing an easier way to do a question using a method you've learnt in a higher level of math??

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
You can, but usually the 2 unit method is simpler either way.

iBibah

HSC
that isn't a 3 unit method, but yes you can use 3 unit methods if you have learn't them, but 99% of the time you wouldn't have to use them
Well actually you would never have to use them, but there will be times where you can. It's best to use them to check answers, that way it wont be marked.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Why would you need to be careful? As long as you show all working out, it's fine. It's like using 4u methods on 3u exam, they're not going to punish you for seeing an easier way to do a question using a method you've learnt in a higher level of math??
Unless they specify ofc

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
Well you're just lucky it was a co-ordinate geo question rather than something like a bearings question etc...

hamster-lol

HSC
You can't use stuff like L'Hopital's rule in the HSC, so they can punish you.

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
You can't use stuff like L'Hopital's rule in the HSC, so they can punish you.
Sorry I don't know the 4u course that well yet, but I've seen many posts regarding that doing 4u and learning new methods can make *some of* 3u much more of a "breeze." Thanks for that :)

hamster-lol

HSC
Sorry I don't know the 4u course that well yet, but I've seen many posts regarding that doing 4u and learning new methods can make 3u much more of a "breeze." Thanks for that :)
L'Hopital's rule is taught in 1st year uni maths, but can be used when evaluating certain limits. Hence why people talk about it a lot :)

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
L'Hopital's rule is taught in 1st year uni maths, but can be used when evaluating certain limits. Hence why people talk about it a lot :)
Btw, you are doing such a miraculous amount of units *_* How are you even coping with that many???

nifkeh

HSC
Sorry I don't know the 4u course that well yet, but I've seen many posts regarding that doing 4u and learning new methods can make *some of* 3u much more of a "breeze." Thanks for that :)
really? In that case I'll probs do it for that >_< and because I need higher maths in uni of course

animerocker

HSC
So does not mean we can use combination and permutations in 2 unit probability questions.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think you can but there are 2u methods which would be much easier to use than complicating it with P and C notation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)