4 (c) Probability (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
yeah it would be nice if they used the language in their own dam syllabus. But I guess they did say DIFFERENT squares, indicating that she couldn't choose the same square twice in a row so they've got a decent argument.
Still sux heaps though, whoever thought up the question is retarted.

dunno04

HSC
mnhsc06comeonz said:
i got the same as UzurOger and stYlez YIEW

fark yeh then i got
a) I) 1/8
ii)i got 1/4 and
ii) a 3/4 or something like that cant remember!!!

HOPE U BOTH ARE RIGHT!!!
i think i got the same
Glad that someone get the same as me.
Coz IF u are right. I am right
IF I am wrong, everyone will have it wrong
xD

jfan30

HSC
it says she picks 3 squares at random on a chess board - you cant take away a square so its 0.5 X o.5 X o.5 for the first part. people are getting confused thinking there are 32 pieces of each colour but it says squares - you cant take away a square of a chess board

myeewyee

HSC
no the question is Tanya "chooses three different squares at random"
it was a vague question though, very easy to interpret either way. the only reason i emphasised "different" during the exam was cause it was 2 marks - if it was only 1 mark i wouldve just said 1/8 straight away

Last edited:

OhFourOhOne

HSC
I just wrote at the top of mine

"Assuming all squares are replaced"

And then did

1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2
or whatever. I don't actually remember the question. Just that I wrote 'assuming all squares are replaced'

It was ambiguous though. Makes you think they're going to have to give some leniency, because I looked at the question over and over it it definately didnt specify. At least I thought not.

meg_1_2_3_4_5

HSC
i did it as replacement and i'm pretty sure thats right, because if it was non-replacement, how would you know which colour squares she chose?? I cant remember the question and it might have told us what she chose but if anyone did it as non replacement, it may not have turned out to be 30/62 or whatever because she may have chosen two squares of the oter colour, if u get wat i mean????

Irskin

HSC
She chooses 3 "DIFFERENT" squares meaning P(white) = 32/64 x 31/63 x 30/62.
It would only be 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 if she was able to choose the same square. However, i can see what the other people are saying and either method should obtain full marks if done correctly due to a fucked up worded question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)