4 Questions on Tess of the D'urbevilles (concerning Phase the Seventh: Fulfilment)? (1 Viewer)

DrunkeN_Boxer

HSC
Just wanna see what are your views on a few questions from English.

1. "He has won me back to him." Can we blame Tess for succumbing to Alec's proposals?

2. "This scarlet blot...had the appearance of a gigantic ace of hearts." Comment on the irony here and the force of the blood imagery throughout the novel.

3. Discuss the Stonehenge symbolism and Tess' reaction to her situation.

4. "This happiness could not have lasted. It was too much." To what extent does this statement express a theme of Hardy's?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Re: 4 Questions on Tess of the D'urbevilles (concerning Phase the Seventh: Fulfilment

1. We can blame her, but only for her succumbing to her own Tragic Flaws. It is these qualities, such as her own pride and family ties which cause her the succumb.

2. The ace of hearts is seen as a symbol of love, so they scarlet blot that forms this makes the symbol ironic.

3. Stonehenge is one of the traditional symbol of Paganism. TO end here is form of traditional christian renouncement.

4. With a changing world, Hardy does not believe in the permanence of anything; emotion in particular. In a similar way to industry, there is too much and neither can continue at the rate it is going.

Sorry for not being able to explain myself better. I haven't read or studied the book in two years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)