• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

4 unit maths class structure (1 Viewer)

sinerster

Junior
HSC
wondering if anyone knows how 4 unit maths is set out

is it like eng ext 1 where you do the extra unit separately

or like current 3 unit maths where its all in one?

P

pLuvia

what do you mean by that?? MX2 is a different unit, although you use 3unit and 2unit stuff. But it is not like EE1 how you learn something completely different, if you know what i mean.

klaw

HSC
Depends on the school. Some schools would have the 4U ppl do 3U together too, others would put 4U as a different class.

P

pLuvia

is that what he means?? well if that's what he's asking, the MX2 people for MX1 classes will be with the non 4uniters, but when it comes to learning MX2 topics, we will be in another with only 4unit people. My school will have morning classes :(

HSC
My school teaches them separately, as there are 20 Ext 1's and 5 Ext 2's, so the Ext 2's just stay back on arvo for their lesson.

ioniser

HSC
it depends on your school if they can afford to employ a teacher to teach a 4 unit class seperately assuming the school isn't a really big name school and the sunit class is small

4u topics just build on the 3u topics,so pretty much the 3u stuff is the basics then the 4u stuff is the challenging stuff that really requires thinking

thats why generally doing 4 u strengthens your 3u ,while the 3u kids suffer as they don't have as broad knowledge as you,also in 4u you get to learn neat tricks which really help in 3u and can cut down working out space by up to a page

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Depends on your school, like others have said.

My school has 4 MX2 classes with 26 in each. They do all their stuff together [incl. before school classes]

Then there are 4 MX1 classes with about 25 in them. They do all their stuff together.

Then theres the 2U class. They do their stuff.

Mumma

HSC
Were going to have 3 full extension 2 classes... how ridiculous is that?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
We also have classes where students do 2 subjects in the one class-mx1 and mx2. I think we're gonna have 2 classes of 30. This year we had 6 classes of 3u maths (doing 2 subjects in the one class).

The number of students doing a total of 3u of maths is gonna fall...Most of us are dropping down to 2u maths or going up to 4u maths. Some of us aren't changing their maths units.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
sinerster said:
wondering if anyone knows how 4 unit maths is set out

is it like eng ext 1 where you do the extra unit separately

or like current 3 unit maths where its all in one?
4u maths builds on top of 3u maths. It contains alot of harder 3u stuff.

4u maths= 2u mx1+2u mx2

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
My school has two full Maths Extension 2 classes and 5 (I think it may be 4 now) Maths Extension 1 classes. Only one of our Maths Extension 1 classes (the class I'm in) contains 26 students who all also do Extension 2 and are in the same Extension 2 class. No one in my class does only 3 unit Maths, they all do 4 unit Maths at the moment. The other Extension 2 class people are just dispersed everywhere in different Extension 1 classes according to timetable lines. There are a lot of people doing Maths Extension 2 at the moment and my Extension 1 teacher said she "hopes" that some will drop out by the end of the term to reduce large class sizes. Hence, for this term we have to do the 2 unit assessment tasks as well as the Extension 1 and Extension 2 assessment tasks. This accounts for those who wish to drop out of the course by the end of the term so that they have a supported 2 unit assessment task. That applies only for this term and then by next year no one would normally be allowed drop out.

According to my Extension 2 teacher, people normally would drop out because of the workload, not the difficulty of the course. Spending only 4 hours classtime per fortnight on the course means we have to go through all the theory in class and do the exercises at home because there isn't much time.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Bookie said:
Depends on your school, like others have said.

My school has 4 MX2 classes with 26 in each. They do all their stuff together [incl. before school classes]

Then there are 4 MX1 classes with about 25 in them. They do all their stuff together.

Then theres the 2U class. They do their stuff.
There's actually 5 4u classes.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Basically, the 4 unit course is more mentally difficult than the 3 unit. It is much more demanding in terms of homework and time, but however there is a topic which is "harder 3 unit" and that has 3 unit stuff but harder e.g harder induction, harder integration. Otherwise most of the other topics like complex numbers is totally independent from 3 unit.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
omg, i've been hearing that our school will do 4 unit maths with a girls school !!!

*here's hoping that MX2 chicks are hot*
:D

P

pLuvia

YBK said:
omg, i've been hearing that our school will do 4 unit maths with a girls school !!!

What school do you go to?? lol

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
YBK said:

How does that work out?
mx2 chicks??? makes mx2 more interesting...

klaw

HSC
I guess you'd be more interested in finding the area under the curve then. or find the equation of a line touching the curve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)