4 unit, to do or not to do, that is the antithesis of predicament i am in. (1 Viewer)

httton

HSC
Hey all of BoS 4unit geniuses!

I am getting to that stage where i need to decide whether to pursue a run in Extension 2 or not as this is the last term of term 3.

I am often told, only i know my capabilities but its hard to say when i have never seen Ext 2.:awesome:

anyway here is the situation:
- i go to a selective school.
- in junior school i've done very well - rank 5ish
- i don't go to any form of tutoring, coach or such. (never had)
- this year, I'm getting slightly discouraged because i panicked in my two assessments and now sitting cumulative rank from anywhere from teens to the twenty-somethings. :mad3:
- i do not have a problem understanding coursework of preliminary 3 unit. its really exam technique issues.
- i have since tried to make an effort to improve my exam technique and skills by doing a crap-load of 2unit HSC past papers in the holidays.
- My other subjects are Chem/phys/engineering/english(II) (i plan to drop english (III)) \
- I recently cured my procrastination lol.
- i have finished 2 unit work and am fair competent with it and its application.
- i like a challenge and rise above. I like science, and maths is a science :haha:

:eek:

well, the thing that has got me concerned is that many kids have started Extension 2, yeah.

my questions are:
1. Should I do extension 2? (going by what you have read)
2. How do I approach extension 2 without a form of tuition? (mind you, i have textbooks and worked solutions already - Fitz and cambridge)
3. Anyone doing extension 2 and not going tutoring, how do YOU approach your studies, do you need tuition?

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Not an Ext 2er, but just chiming in to say I think you'd be capable of 4U if you want to pursue it :) You ranks are good and at a selective school.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Give it a go, see if you can handle it.

Tutoring helps, but is not essential, people mainly go to tuition, so they can learn the material before they go to class, and then it's just revision.

Also, what school?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Try it, and drop it if you need to.

If you're having trouble with 3u though - you're probably going to struggle.

httton

HSC
when i do exercises and papers at home - all sweet.
last time i went into exam = melted under pressure, failing to see the most simple of things -_-, but thats more of a matter of panick though (anyone have tips on this, please feel free to share with us :))

lol, mfhs - yeah, partial selective, but some really bright ones here, like about 10 of them are in the top classes of various tutoring centres.

the speculated ext 2 teacher is my current ext1 teacher - shes really good, and i dont mind her either so yeah.

enoilgam

HSC
Im not a four unit person but I think you should give it a go. You seem to have a fair bit of potential, so it would be worth a try. Remember, you can drop four unit later on if you dont like it, but you wont be able to pick it up if you change your mind mid-way through year 12.

khfreakau

HSC
\
3. Anyone doing extension 2 and not going tutoring, how do YOU approach your studies, do you need tuition?
That's me haha. If you do decide to do it, you're just going to have to make sure you keep up with all class content (depends how much the teacher gives you) and independently pursue past papers. There's no real trick to it, you just need a bit of motivation.

K

khorne

ffs. Wtf is up with you people an acting like 4U is on the verge of human knowledge and ability. If you are competent as a student, 4U is no trouble. If you need tutoring, don't do it...cause you're an idiot. The concepts are simple to learn. Lets break it down:

Complex numbers: nothing difficult...and if you say locus/whatever, do a few questions and realise it's easy
Polynomials: easiest of all topics, not worth it.
Graphs: simple, and if you can't, just plot points lol
Mechanics: the problems are so similar that it's to a point of route learning
Volumes: good sketches = easy questions
Integration: simple

Harder 3U is really the only hard topic, and you get that through experience.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
ffs. Wtf is up with you people an acting like 4U is on the verge of human knowledge and ability. If you are competent as a student, 4U is no trouble. If you need tutoring, don't do it...cause you're an idiot. The concepts are simple to learn. Lets break it down:

Complex numbers: nothing difficult...and if you say locus/whatever, do a few questions and realise it's easy
Polynomials: easiest of all topics, not worth it.
Graphs: simple, and if you can't, just plot points lol
Mechanics: the problems are so similar that it's to a point of route learning
Volumes: good sketches = easy questions
Integration: simple

Harder 3U is really the only hard topic, and you get that through experience.
You haven't mentioned Conics :p

K

khorne

Conics is algebra in disguise with a pinch of geometry. If you can expand quickly and work with trig then it's fine

httton

HSC
thanks guys.

yeah, i've been doing complex numbers these past few days.

i like the challenge (or lack of it ;]), im sure it'll get hard but ill work for it

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
dont get overwhelmed by 4 unit, the questions you'll notice have really beautiful answers. just enjoy the challenge of being one of the 3467 smartest people in the state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)