400/500 Law Electives (1 Viewer)

maka

HSC
Just saw the Int Law assessment on WebCT since I still have access.

It looks real intense. Maybe not reading any of it yet but it looks pretty full on.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
You pretty much answer the question (well, start to answer it) in this weeks tutorial. I found it daunting too, until my tute on Tuesday and it all fell into place...

... and I discovered one of my friends who did it last year is going to share her answer with me (because it made up part of their final exam). ;)

maka

HSC
MJ, whats 4 law subjects a semester like for you?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Pretty stressful already to be honest. I'm already behind in readings, have got tutorial presentations coming out of my ears, trying to get a vague start on at least one assessment (because they are all due in the same fortnight) to ease the workload... and I'm only working one day a week!! Thinking I might have to quit eventually, but I'm trying to avoid it (I enjoy the social aspect... and having an excuse not to think about law!)

That said, its totally do-able... I have to keep thinking that or else I know I'll collapse in April. Oh well... Some units are worse than others; the most intense has to be international organisations; we have about 90 pages to read per week, and we have to actually know the stuff because there isn't a lecture, only two seminars which require participation. But its good because its challenging. Same with international law, actually... and EU.... and torts. Oh crap :(

Have to think positive.... its only 13 weeks of stress and no life.... and then a very cruisy second - and last - semester! Woohoo!

iwannarock

HSC
well IT law is now gone.

advance torts all the way.

no textbook! just course materials.

since im so poor atm thats definetly was a deciding factor.

although i went to the it law (ok according to susanne tutes werent on first week)

the 7000 word essay is now only 4000.

after coming out of torts straight to IT i was like fuck why must they toy with me to get to stay in the subject.

and i was all alone in IT too since u guys left.

well my decision is done now so i have to stick with it. plus i have friends in that advance tort tute!

i was considering becoming a 4 subject bandit. i dunno how you do it MJ. although im gonna have to do 4 next semester. or do 1 subject next year and become a weirdo thats graduates in the half year.

i would DIE if i did 4! even just thinking about it makes me scared. and plus i want to find a job and work 3 or 4 days a week this semester.

maka

HSC
Yeah same sort of idea with me IWR.

I dont want to do that extra semester.

I am finding the Con/Admin, Property, Labour Law and Health Law combo pretty manageable so far.

Next sem, I am picking up probs Family Law and Dispute Management.

Anyone recommend them or any other electives?

maka

HSC
I am curious as to whether the Macquarie Law department ever introduces new law electives.

I say this because Macquarie offers around 40ish electives if they are all available year in, year out.

But I just looked on the MQ Law website and there is really so many that seem so pointless it is not funny. Too many are jurisprudential for my liking.

I think they need to introduce new units to make the subjects more relevant, fun and worthwhile. I would argue the need for practical Court skills or some interdisciplinary law units such as Sports Law.

Tabris

HSC
so who has started on the 509 int law assignment???

Also MaryJane, what did your tutor say in the tutorial with regards to the assignment? I got Rafiqul and the only thing that comes out of him in the tute are the answers to the students questions.

maka

HSC
Tabris, you do Labour Law right?

How do you find it so far?

I reckon it is one of the best subjects I have done so far.

Tabris

HSC
407 is good but i think we're gonna get gobsmacked for the final, its one thing to understand the cases and the points in law, but I have a feeling that he will expect us to do critical analysis of it in the final and tie it in with the common theme/doctrine.

I heard they removed class participation for LAW314, so that means its just a class presentation and two essays. That should really cut down on the materials.

I dug something up, this is the old unit outline, start at p 17 and onwards, the old lecturer was really helpful in making the readings easier

www.gtcentre.unsw.edu.au/Study/docs/StudyGuide3142006_gt.doc

Also last year, the convenor released pased exam questions and answers to them, i dont have them anymore but here is a sample thats edited

ww.gtcentre.unsw.edu.au/Study/docs/314Assignment2006_Final.doc

no idea why they are on UNSW but hey....

Last edited:

maka

HSC
I think you may know who I am Tabris. I am Michael.

Frank always asks me questions.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I've put IL on the backburner because I have EU and torts due before then. But I've done some reading for it and it seems like it will be pretty straight-forward in terms of answering it... Just a matter of getting the sources together and actually producing the work. But at least its a recommendation thingy which means lots of sub-headings (which are my friends).

Tabris, I cant remember my tutor saying anything in tutes about the assignment, but I'm sure questions will come up closer to time. Shawkat's a pretty nice guy (as long as you participate) so we should be able to get some good stuff out of him. He seems much more relaxed than Rafiqul... I ran my suggestion for the final essay past Shawkat and he thought it would be fine, but Rafiqul replies to my email: "This is NOT part of the LAW509 syllabus". Calm down dude! I'm so bummed because I had all the research ready and my whole little argument... so now I'm off to Natalie to see whether I can do it for Int Orgs instead!

maka

HSC
Hows Advanced Torts going MJ?

If I stick around MQ, I would look to do that subject.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Hey Maka I just realised you're the one who started that other thread! I totally didnt realise! :)

Torts is great, Penelope Watson is fantastic! I wish I had her last year for remedies (but she was on sabbatical). I would recommend advanced torts because its the more interesting torts (in my opinion)... its dignitary torts, so defamation, privacy, sexual harrassment, bullying, wrongful life/birth etc. But, she only does it every second year... so it wont be around again until 2010. Like all good units :(

The assessment is amazing though; we have to write an executive summary for the NSWLRC on privacy. And she promised to send the 10 best papers into the ALRC (who are currently accepting submissions re: a statutory tort of privacy in Australia). Very, very cool. Or maybe I'm just a geek :p

maka

HSC
Why do MQ have to be so difficult at everything?

They only hold electives every 2 years. BUT wait for it, they wont ever update the electives to student needs.

Seriously, some tutor mentioned what subjects we'd like seen added to the degree and people added Sports Law as an elective.

It was well supported. But no, we instead they have options such as Law and Sexuality.

Do they ever ask students what they want?

maka

HSC
PS: MJ, it sounds very impressive. That is a very good thing to have on your resume. A submission to the LRC.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I agree that the elective choice is pretty poor.. very poor, actually. And what makes it worse in my opnion is that they will change the dates the unit will be held at the beginning of that year. So, for example, Trial Advocacy has, since the 2006 handbook, been set for 2008. But in January this year, just before you had to select units, they changed it to 2009. Same thing with International Dispute Resolution (which was the whole reason I'm doing Int now). Its really very crap.

So instead they want us to go off to other unis and do their electives. The only problem is that only UNSW (and maybe USYD) units count for enough course credit to cover our 4cp. I wanted to do insolvency at UTS and they could only give me 3cp credit, leaving me with a random 1cp. And the only law elective <4 cp is a thesis unit for 2cp... Its really bad.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am really dissapointed with the electives, theres no advanced Crim course (not that I want to deal with Anne again) and not many practical subjects bar the two clincal programs which only have a few places avaliable.

I'll probably do one or two at UWS probably Advanced Crim and International Crim.

I hope they run trial advocacy and international dispute resolution or I am going to find it hard to find enough electives.

Its also really annoying that summer school is upfront payment, I am a bit ahead and wanted to finish off a semester early by doing a unit or two over summer so I dont have one or two subjects left at the end!

maka

HSC
MQ Uni need a survey where they provide a list of units that other unis provide and that they dont provide.

People should tick which ones appeal to them and if they gain a certain percentage, they should be taught by MQ.

MJ..... same problem with Sports Law at UTS. Why would I do a semester of Sports Law and then have to come back for an extra semester for 1cp. It is utter bullshit.

They need to listen to the students and what we think we need. I think as a collective group we are able to make fairly informed decisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)