• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

400/500 Law Electives (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Surely you didn't research in a day?

I researched over a period of two weeks, but it was random moments and read over the past week... began writing yesterday and will finish today. I will be sl glad that this is over....gar but then the craziness of property

iwannarock

HSC
melsc said:
Surely you didn't research in a day?

I researched over a period of two weeks, but it was random moments and read over the past week... began writing yesterday and will finish today. I will be sl glad that this is over....gar but then the craziness of property
collection of articles was done like a week ago.

i listened to the lecture a week ago.

but as for actually reading........was not started until thursday morning.

reading was done by around 6pm. slept til 8pm. then started writing.

theres a reason why i'm in danger of failing every law course i do ya know.

i always try and change my ways though. i mean tuesday i said i was gonna read. wednesday too. but i just couldnt do it until thursday.

:p

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Congrats IWR! Well done as always :) Did you end up talking about Burma?

How are you going melsc?

I didn't listen to the lecture either... actually, I didn't listen to ANY of them :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Dammit where are all the media kids so I can cry about shitty assignments to them as well :(

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Congrats IWR! Well done as always :) Did you end up talking about Burma?

How are you going melsc?

I didn't listen to the lecture either... actually, I didn't listen to ANY of them :p
no burma.

:(

i simply could not get it in there.

and i refuse to cull again anymore and screw up my footnotes.

it was only just to have a source. essentially to bring it up would be pointless because the article i have is so short and essentially says natural disasters aren't a ground for military intervention.

whatever........im gonna go to uni and print soon.

then off to work til 1am yaaaaaay.

iwannarock

HSC
damn you MJ!

doing a presentation was the best thing you could ever do.

ah! 13 hours to go and 1300 words to write.

holy fuck 100 words an hour!

ah.

ahhh!

ahhhhhhhhhhh!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Oh no! :( Sorry I cant help at all, I have wiped torts from my mind.

But, I emailed Penny yesterday asking for my essay mark and feedback, and this was her feedback: "What I would have liked to see is some theory on judicial method - this would also be useful for exam. I have mentioned in class a few times that judges like Kirby, McHugh, Mason have all written on the judicial role and legitimacy of judicial activism/development of the law in articles and speeches."

So, judging by that, I'd say GO THEORY!

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Oh no! :( Sorry I cant help at all, I have wiped torts from my mind.

But, I emailed Penny yesterday asking for my essay mark and feedback, and this was her feedback: "What I would have liked to see is some theory on judicial method - this would also be useful for exam. I have mentioned in class a few times that judges like Kirby, McHugh, Mason have all written on the judicial role and legitimacy of judicial activism/development of the law in articles and speeches."

So, judging by that, I'd say GO THEORY!
judicial method?

oh noez.

i didnt touch on that in the slightest in the exam.

although the exam gave us the option to use whatever analytical framework we wanted. i took a purposive and doctrinal approach.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway its done.

all over.

finished.

email her for marks you say?

should i dare?

do i see how i was going the whole time and risk being miserable up until results if its a fail?

well im in a dilly of a pickle.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
You sound very smart and torty with your "purposive and doctrinal approach". I dont even know what that means!!

You wont have failed, I know these things... I'm a psychic! Plus, P is awesome and I dont think she would ever fail anyone ever. The CP marks are also up on blackboard.

The essays will either be in the collection office place on the 5th floor, or she'll have them at home and so you need to email her. Now I know my mark, I'm never going to make the trip in especially to collect it. No doubt she will be stuck with my paper for years to come!

Has anyone heard about when we are getting IL back? I'm still in shock that we actually get it back. I wonder whether it will be before results are released?

Tabris

HSC
Well, i just done my property 316 exam today, 24 hours, 12 pages 3 questions..... and no sleep!

thats 5800 words from 10am yesterdat to this morning 6am........not to mention its a 100% final with instant fail, no late penalty submission

beat that IWR!!

Last edited:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Oh Tabris! I'm still amazed that they changed it to a 100% final take home. Crazy.

Have a lovely time sleeping tonight! :D

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Tabris said:
Well, i just done my property 316 exam today, 24 hours, 12 pages 3 questions..... and no sleep!

thats 5800 words from 10am yesterdat to this morning 6am........not to mention its a 100% final with instant fail, no late penalty submission

beat that IWR!!
I reckon, it was so awful! I worked on it from 10am - 8am, I thought I was the only one who took so long! I reckon the quality of my work was appaling

The problem question was terrible and took ages.

Lucky my b/f was there to help me and try and keep me calm, I had a few paniced moments.

maka

HSC
I would have spent the same amount of time as you melsc.

The funny thing is that everyone that I have spoken too has stayed up all night in order to complete the exam.

Lucky, I bought a new container of coffee yesterday. I definitely needed it.

I hope they reconsider this format for LAW317. That was effectively 3 forms of assessment. Essay, case note and probalem question. Why not test the essay and case note earlier in the semester and just give us the problem question to do.

I really enjoyed my little sleep this arvo.

I have Const. now. Might do defence powers.

iwannarock

HSC
Tabris said:

beat that IWR!!
holy fucking shit.

5800 words!

in one night?

you have broken the 3000 word all nighter rule.

there is an accepted rule amongst avid all nighters. 3000 words is the maximum of what can be done in one night of research and writing. 3500 max.

years from now somebody will get an assignment that has 5000 words and say "im gonna do it all in one night".

and somebody will say "are you mad.........you are breaking the 3000 word principle!"

to which that person will say "no..........whilst the principle has been true in all circumstances i have looked at the records. it seems many years ago.....there was an exception........a student by hte name of tabris accomplished this........going where nobody had gone before and pushing the boundaries of all nighters".

in all seriousness though......whilst it was nuts...it seems the problem, essay, case note format that you did is just what you would have done in a 3 hour sit down exam. would you rather 24 hours to do it or 3. the only problem is that making it 100% is ridiculous and 60% is what it should have been with a 30% mid semester essay or something.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
7245 words, 3 assignments, 2 nights.

Still got a further ~5000 left to finish off the one due Friday, and ~500 for the one due later today.

Yay for 22" LCD monitors and their ability to hold three Word windows.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
iwannarock said:
in all seriousness though......whilst it was nuts...it seems the problem, essay, case note format that you did is just what you would have done in a 3 hour sit down exam. would you rather 24 hours to do it or 3. the only problem is that making it 100% is ridiculous and 60% is what it should have been with a 30% mid semester essay or something.
Well they wanted to make it a sit down but the tutors talked her out of it. But it was not a 3hr paper, the problem question tested almost the whole course and was wayyyy to complex.

Tabris, Maka did your essay or case note have any sources besides your tb/reader, I just didnt have the time. I think the quality of mine would have been really bad!

The thing that bothered me was that they complained about past students quality of problem questions and case notes but I think if they did them as assignments or at least formal/take home exams with a realistic time people would show they can do it quite well.

Tabris how did you get that many words into 12 pages? Mine was 4 400 and 13 pages but thats coz I had to leave half pages because we needed to start each one on a new page.

I'll have to start conts now but I am still so tired! I think I'll do the international law one

Last edited:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Oh Asy! And I thought that media students were bludgers ;) I just got a 20" imac the other month, and now that its assessment time I'm starting to really appreciate the space. Its amazing! And makes me feel so productive... ignoring the fact that I always have a firefox window and iTunes open along with word.

I remember the property law final being pretty insane. I had a terrible cramp in my hand that didn't leave for days. I think it was 2 problem questions and an essay. We did a case note and an essay for mid-semester assessments.

I still think I would have preferred a 3 hour sit down, because everyone has the same period of time, no help from work colleagues etc, so its fairer. And thus the standards should be relatively the same. Plus, it puts you out of your misery in 3 hours, rather than 24!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Oh Asy! And I thought that media students were bludgers ;) I just got a 20" imac the other month, and now that its assessment time I'm starting to really appreciate the space. Its amazing! And makes me feel so productive... ignoring the fact that I always have a firefox window and iTunes open along with word.
Its these darned coursework subjects, who has an assignment with a word count of "more than 2500 words" >< It sounded like a challenge, so I challenged it and now it looks like its going to be 7500 all up >.>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)