• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

4u Class of 2006 (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
There is no way you need a tutor for 4u. What you need is hard work and consistency. :)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
And remember, the best form of hard work is past papers.
There is no substitute. They're more important than eating, sleeping, and sex ... nearly.

As a great example, every and any "Harder 3 unit" question they ask in 4 unit is most definately going to be a generalisation of things thrown at you in past papers.

This applies to all topics.

Past papers >> homework

I

icycloud

KeypadSDM said:
And remember, the best form of hard work is past papers.
There is no substitute. They're more important than eating, sleeping, and sex ... nearly.

As a great example, every and any "Harder 3 unit" question they ask in 4 unit is most definately going to be a generalisation of things thrown at you in past papers.

This applies to all topics.

Past papers >> homework
The problem is not that people don't know that doing past papers/homework is the way to go. The problem for most people is getting the motivation to do so. I really feel like beating the crap out of procrastination right now. :D

Estel

Tutor
HSC
You can be like Mr Keypad and do 100 past papers to get 99....
Or you can settle for 97/98 with a a couple of hundred hours less work, get the same scaled mark, and enjoy more (and I quote) 'eating, sleeping, and sex ..." :p

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I'll do some past papers after i actually have the knowledge to do them. For now it's practice excercises from the textbook :p

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Exercises, exercises, exercises for me too. I don't think I'll get into the past papers until term 1 next year at the earliest. At the moment we're doing roots of complex numbers, having covered De Moirve's theorem, polar form, x + yi form, and Argand diagrams. Fun, fun, fun...

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I just thought of a really good idea for doing the past papers. After you finish a topic, get out the past papers and do the question(s) on that topic. Now how's that for an idea? :)
The only drawback i can think of is by the time you get to trials and the final exams, there won't be any new past papers to do... i guess you could re-do some of them again and try and get better scores in each. I dunno :D

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
"The only drawback i can think of is by the time you get to trials and the final exams, there won't be any new past papers to do"

There's like 400 past papers available for 4u. I wouldn't worry. :D

P

pLuvia

Does anyone have any past papers? There are Diagnostic Tests in the Cambridge book, I don't think that's enough :p

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
There's like 400 past papers available for 4u. I wouldn't worry.
Omg-omg-omg!!! So many papers! I guess my idea is one to be considered then. :)

To kadlil: I've got 1 past paper, yes 1, and it's this year's :D
Are we allowed to post questions from it up? I don't wanna get in trouble if there's someone out there who hasn't sat it yet (highly doubt it though). If it's safe, then i'll post up Q2 of monday's paper, lol. It's really easy too. :D

Last edited:

Trev

stix
HSC
I didn't do a single past paper for 3u or 4u, all I did was look at solutions in past paper books and whatnot which constituted as my study :)
You can go through so many more questions looking at solutions rather than actually spending time doing them, 25 or so mins for each 4u paper and 15 or so each 3u one!

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Riviet said:
I just thought of a really good idea for doing the past papers. After you finish a topic, get out the past papers and do the question(s) on that topic. Now how's that for an idea? :)
Exactly what I did, and if you feel like a challenge, do the past paper sections while you're still doing the topics.
Trev said:
I didn't do a single past paper for 3u or 4u, all I did was look at solutions in past paper books and whatnot which constituted as my study :)
You can go through so many more questions looking at solutions rather than actually spending time doing them, 25 or so mins for each 4u paper and 15 or so each 3u one!
This is a good idea if you don't plan on doing much work for 4 unit. However, ideally if you're on this forum to learn you'll actually do the papers. They're not as bad as one might imagine (especially when the questions are so similar).

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
We start extension 2 on thursday...

first topic: complex numbers

and after a few minutes of reading the cambridge book... i can multiply (2+5i)(1+3i)
heheh YAYY!!!

looking through the book is freaky though... all this stuff i have NEVER seen...

Raginsheep

HSC
Well you would hope that there is stuff you've never seen before...otherwise, how do you learn?

wanton-wonton

HSC
icycloud said:
That's true, we haven't started 4U yet. However, that is in part because we accelerated 2U maths this year (did the exam yesterday :D), which means we didn't get to do any 3U work (which we are doing this term and next).

Riviet: Oh and just out of interest, what school are you from?
You'll be doing 3U work throughout the whole year, just not as much as 4U. Especially projectile motion and binomial theorems, you'll be doing that after Term 1 finishes I think.

Who's your teacher?

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Raginsheep said:
Well you would hope that there is stuff you've never seen before...otherwise, how do you learn?
yeah, true true... but i mean, i haven't seen ANYTHING before from that book.. except maybe a bit of the polynomials chapter... hehe.. w00t for polynomials!! :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The integration doesn't look that hard, looking forward to it.

P

pLuvia

The polynomials and integration don't look that hard, plus they will help us in 3 unit topics :D:D I love calculus

klaw

HSC
started last friday... Up to roots of complex numbers

Stan..

HSC
Finishing 3u Prelim, then Inverse Trig. Then whatever is next, Kudos to whoever had the past paper idea. I'll use that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)