4U maths destroys confidence (1 Viewer)

Evergreen

HSC
i just had my first 4unit assessment today and it was pretty hard. im worried because the easiest topics are graphs and complex numbers... i can just imagine myself trying to understand something like mechanics and conics...lol

Sarsy

HSC
Determination and dedication... Can also make you get the right answer after an hour of doing the problem the long way.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I'm not saying you need only dedication and determination, but it will get you pretty far.

The fella who got 40% in 2u and 20% in 3u in prelim yr is now topping 4u.

tambourine

HSC
Wow! This is an excellent topic because I can actually relate to almost every bit of it. I am finding four unit really hard. I am trying my best to understand the concepts but I find myself losing concentration when i'm in class. Mind you, there is only one other person doing four unit maths in the grade and he's having no problems. For this reason, I agree that four unit maths destroys confidence. I've been told that if the students of the same school perform well in a certain subject, they get scaled reasonably well for the HSC. What if I am the one who brings the extension 2 maths class down? :( What a scary thought! I hope our exam isn't as hard as what some people are saying it to be like.
I have a question though...How often should we be studying for it? And yes, it does destroy my social life :(

But I want to do so well in it!!! :)

Oh and one more thing...it does make you cry...the frustration and stress you go through is unimaginable.

tambourine

HSC
One more thing..you do kick yourself when the teacher shows you a much easier and shorter way of doing something..and it does take a lot of time away from your other subjects and I hope it does pay off in the end because I keep thinking that I might have to drop it but I can't afford to.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
This is where a tutor helps alot, my tutor has shown me alot of short cuts.

tambourine

HSC
Yeah i start lessons with my tutor tomorrow. My first assessment for Ext. 2 is on Monday!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
ZJ NingNing said:
oh, I am not really stressed. true, 4U maths isnt making me happy and confident but it is not making me feeling too depressed either. it would take alot for me to feel depressed.

the reason why I started this thread was just because most of the students doing 4U maths in my school think it is hard and I was wondering if anyone else feels like that too.
I experienced the opposite this year. But then, maybe because I just didn't do the work.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Shadose said:
I heard that:
Just passing 4U could scale you real really high up. But it really destroys your social life.
Nope. I went out drinking/stayed up late playing computer games plenty of nights.

Besides, what social life could you possibly have at school that could be ruined by 4u? It doesn't suddenly invade your lunch time or English classes going "You there, come with me sir - it's MATHS TIME"

ZJ NingNing

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I experienced the opposite this year. But then, maybe because I just didn't do the work.
oh well, at least it is over for you now. but for us 08'ers... :bomb:

Wow! This is an excellent topic because I can actually relate to almost every bit of it. I am finding four unit really hard. I am trying my best to understand the concepts but I find myself losing concentration when i'm in class. Mind you, there is only one other person doing four unit maths in the grade and he's having no problems. For this reason, I agree that four unit maths destroys confidence. I've been told that if the students of the same school perform well in a certain subject, they get scaled reasonably well for the HSC. What if I am the one who brings the extension 2 maths class down? :( What a scary thought! I hope our exam isn't as hard as what some people are saying it to be like.
I have a question though...How often should we be studying for it? And yes, it does destroy my social life :(

But I want to do so well in it!!! :)

Oh and one more thing...it does make you cry...the frustration and stress you go through is unimaginable.
chill buddy, even if you DO bring the class down because the other guy is so brilliant, it wont affect his score so dont fill guilty.

as to how often should we be studying, well, I dont know but i can tell you that I am doing 1.5 hours of 4U maths per day. but then, thats because the first assessment is coming up.

yeah, I so agree that there is stress. but I dont cry, I just sit there, take a couple of deep breaths and think of my best friends.

just... try. and yeah, best of luck with it. :)

One more thing..you do kick yourself when the teacher shows you a much easier and shorter way of doing something..and it does take a lot of time away from your other subjects and I hope it does pay off in the end because I keep thinking that I might have to drop it but I can't afford to.
I KNOW!!! I HATE it when I use up a whole page and finally get the answer. and when I flip to the back of the book, it solved the question in like, 3 lines. imagining if this happens during the exam *shudder*

Gabcom

HSC
tommykins said:
I'm not saying you need only dedication and determination, but it will get you pretty far.

The fella who got 40% in 2u and 20% in 3u in prelim yr is now topping 4u.
Actually that fella got 86% for 2u and 50 something % for 3u in the yearlies. And he didn't top 4U.

Yeah, 4U is all work, if you put in the work (lots of it) and you're alright with math in general, you'll do better than you think. A tutor also helps a shitload IF the tutor is able to help you understand and all.

I've been in the bottom math class since year 8, but I've always been fine with math and now I'm 5th in our class for 4U so if you're here on this forum, you can do it. :bomb:
Oh yeah and I have the same tutor as tommykins who thinks hes good (maybe) so that helped a shitload to making 4U a joke. So if you're not too confident, I highly recommend looking for a tutor. In fact, unless you're a math freak who gets easy 95+ raw marks for 4U, you should look into getting a tutor.
Regarding the topic of this thread, I'm more scared of 3U than 4U right now and everyone I talk to seems to agree that that's the case with them too.

Also, penis.

Last edited:

gm.haider3000

HSC
Hello i dont seem to see the need for a tutor?? what for.. what are teachers for, guys just use your own knowledge, maths aint the hardest subject in the world.. I know i really need to get a high mark in english but everything else im basically in 85-95% which im really proud of.. give me 5 reasons to take up a tutor ?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Im doing 4U this term to try without tuition. I'm actually doing quite good by myself :) But it'd be nothing if that doesn't pay off in my assessment tasks.

Harkaraj

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

Alot of you guys seem to have Terry Lee, do you think its a worthwhile book to buy? How would you rate it in comparison to Cambridge and Patel? Cause I'm thinking of getting it.

Thanks

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Terry Lee- pretty good. Worked solutions to guide you, the questions are challenging and the explanations are great.

Gabcom

HSC
gm.haider3000 said:
Hello i dont seem to see the need for a tutor?? what for.. what are teachers for, guys just use your own knowledge, maths aint the hardest subject in the world.. I know i really need to get a high mark in english but everything else im basically in 85-95% which im really proud of.. give me 5 reasons to take up a tutor ?
Good for you x 5

Maybe more for people who have had their confidence destroyed by 4U I guess. Or someone like me who hasn't really been on the good side of math..ever.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Harkaraj said:
Hi,

Alot of you guys seem to have Terry Lee, do you think its a worthwhile book to buy? How would you rate it in comparison to Cambridge and Patel? Cause I'm thinking of getting it.

Thanks
Yes, you should get it if possible, the worked out solutions help 10x. Cambridge is abit easier than Terry lee, but hey the harder the better to help your understanding.

gm.haider3000 said:
With the amount of shit you talk, if you don't get 1st in the state in 4unit, I'll laugh my head off.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Have you guys finished complex numbers?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Kujah said:
Have you guys finished complex numbers?
We finished it in 2 weeks. That's because we have the asme teacher for 2/3/4unit.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Don't stress about complex numbers. It's like the easiest thing u can get in 4unit. So don't waste ur time stressing over it. After a few papers, u'll realise they're all much the same questions.

DO NOT STRESS About Conics... unless it's a question 7 or 8 question, then okay fine, (d) might be a lil' tricky.

Practise ur harder 3unit's and ur mechanics. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)