4U maths destroys confidence (1 Viewer)

kony

HSC
4U has turned me emo.

no seriously, it's a great feeling when you're finished, not because it was so hard, but because it was so rewarding.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
kony said:
4U has turned me emo.

no seriously, it's a great feeling when you're finished, not because it was so hard, but because it was so rewarding.
Rewarding in terms of? Scaling? Achievement?

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I'm doing 4U maths this year, my dad didn't want me to do it, he used to be a maths teacher and said I would kill my self doing it for not enough gain. However so far I am finding it satisfying and although it is definately tough I wouldn't have it any other way. Is any other class out there using the S.K. Patel textbook. It is a fairly old one but my teacher likes it. Cya all round!

Cat :)

jet

Banned
HSC
We used the Patel book for compex numbers, only because no other covered it as good as patel. Now we use terry lee and we have cambridge and are meant to use it but dont for some weird reason?? We jsut use textbooks for the questions. The coordinator wrote up all of these over head to teach us years ago and uses them every year [with updates]. This pisses me off coz we just sit there and copy out like twenty overhead and do work for the rest of the lessons. I dont talk to the year twelves either since im in year eleven. we just sit there in silence.

Also buy lots of books. Coz i basically go through a book in a matter of lessons. The exercises take me like twenty pages.
I found one of the best things was to look at lots of textbooks because i found out like five ways of doing one thing, and could pick out the easiest. Most of the time i find a method which is easier than the teachers.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
ooh wow another amazing maths accelerated student!!!!! One guy in my year did that last year and he got a band 6 for ext 1 and 2! You should really be proud of your committment, I did accelerated Indonesian last year and it was alot of work to put in and hard to balance with year 11, but it was worth it so stick at it!

I also have a girl in my class who is in yr 11 and has also been accelerated. We are all happy to talk to her, she's great and since she is the only other girl in our class for ext 2 we get on pretty good. If you are feeling bored, try talking to the yr 12's, I'm sure they won't mind.

And I am glad my teacher isn't like yours, he writes everything on the board and explains it really well and is always happy to do it again if you don't understand, which happens alot for me in 4 unit lol!

Keep up all the good work, Goodluck to all the ext 2 candidates

Poad

HSC
Out of curiosity, jetblack, when did you start accelerating? Our retarded school system doesnt accomodate accelerating before Yr 11, so I only had the opportunity to do Accelerated 2U, would've liked to take on Ext 1 as well.. but... that was pretty much out of the question to do in the time span of around 3 terms.

jet

Banned
HSC
i started accelerating halfway thorough year ten in 2 and 3 unit then i started 4 unit normally with the year twelves

YannY

HSC
Fk yeah man, 4u maths destroyed my confidence. I full like failed my first test and im doing 10units whatever shall i do?

Any1

HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
lol.

Not really dude.

4unit maths IS hard. But thats why everything gets scaled according to rank ;). Don't worry, it'll all pay off in the end.
Isn't true that u only have to pass and you get scaled up to like top 10% against tha state?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Any1 said:
Isn't true that u only have to pass and you get scaled up to like top 10% against tha state?
Define pass.

A raw mark of 50% often gets scaled up pretty high.

undalay

HSC
getting 50% in 4unit is pretty damn easy... Just do all the easy questions.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Agree. If with 50% you can get up to a band 5, I recommend all the 3u students to do it 'cuz it will scale them up damn well anyway.

The fact is not like that. With 50% raw mark, with some credits of being a good maths students, you are not going to get a hell cool HSC as you wish! Having said that the difficulty of the paper will determine the contestants' destinies, normally getting 70-80% (or of course above) raw marks can do you some good. Otherwise...you wish!

kony

HSC
the days of frantically searching for doable questions and hope you get a few marks has long passed.

nowadays, if you want to do well, an alternative mindset must be adopted. unfortuantely, this mindset is checking to see if you have not lost any marks on silly mistakes and hoping for a 110+.

ecstasylove

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I somehow really doubt that.
actually, i ended up with 85 for 4u when i skipped conics, mechanics, and harder 3u, which was more than half the hsc paper .. and i have never passed a single internal test. so i would say, yes- 'passing' or getting anything above 50% is pretty good and will scale you to somewhere near the top.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
ecstasylove said:
actually, i ended up with 85 for 4u when i skipped conics, mechanics, and harder 3u, which was more than half the hsc paper .. and i have never passed a single internal test. so i would say, yes- 'passing' or getting anything above 50% is pretty good and will scale you to somewhere near the top.
Sure, it can give you a high aligned HSC mark, but I really do doubt that getting just 50% in the HSC exam will 'scale' you to the top 10% of the state.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
That's because the a large proportion of the 4U cohort get bands E4 and E3 :)....So you have to be at the top of Band E4 to get into the top 10% of the state which = basically an aligned mark of 95+ (probably more).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Hah, interesting story, the top 5% of General Maths are only on par with those below average in 4Unit.

Top 5% in 2unit are also just below average for 4unit.

Top 10% in Extension 1 equal those who averaged 4unit.

I can see how the workload pays off.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
ZJ NingNing said:
thanks :) I am fine with not being able to do exceptionally well but my family wont be. so much pressure. and one of my maths teachers kept saying how I will do really well cos I accelerated 3U. but the truth is, I am just me, I am not a genius.

really dont like it when people tell you that you are gonna get 99.99 in your UAI cos you are supposed to be smart. but I suppose they mean well.

*sigh* I guess I will just have to practice more until I get 4U.
lol i hate people saying "you'll get like 100 or something!" when they see me do good in one subject.

how about looking at my other subject's crap marks before they say something like that again? =P

and the thing is.... 99.99 UAI doesnt even EXIST... the next UAI following 100 is 99.95...then 99.90, 99.85, etc etc... 0.05 UAI difference :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)