4U Maths or not? (1 Viewer)

matchalolz

HSC
hey guys, I saw a similar thread to this and also wanted some input from some more experienced people. I'm currently in year 11, and I want some advice because I was thinking of taking 4u maths but if I have no hope for it I won't even bother trying.

I'm not actually sure exactly what I want to do when I finish school but was thinking of information tech/business/actuary, and I've heard that 4u maths is useful for actuary - but I don't know if i'm capable of it and if i'm not, I can easily just choose out of the other 2.

My marks for maths:
2u maths: 83%, average was 72%.
3u maths: 69%, average was 62%.

I know, not that great. One of our teachers said that if you even want to think about doing 4u, you should be getting 70%+ in the 3u tests, so yeah, was a little crushed when I heard this. But the thing is I didn't study for the exams, and was pretty lousy with all my homework this year (still have some left over from term 1). Do you guys think that my mark can go up a lot if I'm more consistent? (i.e. do homework diligently everyday) My rank in maths last year would have probably been in the top quarter (i go to a selective school). My main problem is that I have a lot of trouble motivating myself to study, and I'm always cramming the day before on sometimes even on the day. I do understand all the content though, and don't find it difficult, it's just i think without practice, my mark really suffers. What do you people think?

Please be honest, I'm not even sure if I want to take this subject, but I thought that it would be great to know what others thought, because if I do have a chance, I want to start working hard now

bangladesh

HSC
Defs do 4u. It is by FAR the most rewarding subject offered in the hsc.

Goodluck.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
hey guys, I saw a similar thread to this and also wanted some input from some more experienced people. I'm currently in year 11, and I want some advice because I was thinking of taking 4u maths but if I have no hope for it I won't even bother trying.

I'm not actually sure exactly what I want to do when I finish school but was thinking of information tech/business/actuary, and I've heard that 4u maths is useful for actuary - but I don't know if i'm capable of it and if i'm not, I can easily just choose out of the other 2.

My marks for maths:
2u maths: 83%, average was 72%.
3u maths: 69%, average was 62%.

I know, not that great. One of our teachers said that if you even want to think about doing 4u, you should be getting 70%+ in the 3u tests, so yeah, was a little crushed when I heard this. But the thing is I didn't study for the exams, and was pretty lousy with all my homework this year (still have some left over from term 1). Do you guys think that my mark can go up a lot if I'm more consistent? (i.e. do homework diligently everyday) My rank in maths last year would have probably been in the top quarter (i go to a selective school). My main problem is that I have a lot of trouble motivating myself to study, and I'm always cramming the day before on sometimes even on the day. I do understand all the content though, and don't find it difficult, it's just i think without practice, my mark really suffers. What do you people think?

Please be honest, I'm not even sure if I want to take this subject, but I thought that it would be great to know what others thought, because if I do have a chance, I want to start working hard now
The fact that you use "oh I didn't work hard enough, I didn't study, blah blah blah" as an excuse for poor marks indicates you can't do 4U, more than your marks themselves.

It is incredibly rewarding but also hard work. If you're not working hard for 3U, then you won't work hard for 4U.

iStudent

HSC
ask yourself if you are willing to dedicate half your time to maths.
If yes, then go for it!
Also, in light of its amazing scaling.. if you are given the opportunity imo you should definitely take up the offer.

matchalolz

HSC
The fact that you use "oh I didn't work hard enough, I didn't study, blah blah blah" as an excuse for poor marks indicates you can't do 4U, more than your marks themselves.

It is incredibly rewarding but also hard work. If you're not working hard for 3U, then you won't work hard for 4U.
oh sorry, I didn't mean to sound that way! i've just not been studying much this year because i'm also doing a uni subject right now for computing and it's been taking up a lot of my time. The day before my maths exam, I had a computing exam in the evening hence i didn't study for maths. I'm willing to put in the work but I don't know where to start

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
If you can't motivate yourself to do 3u I think you need to consider doing 4u because there's a lot of work involved and if you CBF, probs won't be a good idea to do it.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
If you're getting those kind of marks in a school ranked in the top 10 then I definitely recommend you pick it up in Year 12

matchalolz

HSC
Haha I don't do 4u, but I rejected it and this is why I'm replying

going to a really competitive school, my rank in year 11 first assessment for both 2u and 3u was honestly just appalling. I'd always done well in maths and this was the biggest blow, and honestly that just took away all of my confidence in maths, leading to almost zero motivation and not studying one little bit (the night before the year 11 yearly, I was learning parametrcs and circle geometry for the first time, no joke)

Somehow I made it to 4U maths which was really surprising since I expected that least. and like any other student in a selective school who makes it in, I accepted for the scaling etc. But then I got home and really thought about it, and decided that honestly the only reason I had really even made it was because of my hard work in junior years– there were so many gaps for me to fill in from the prelim course, how was I going to learn even more new stuff? Scaling is only good if you do well, if you're failing/performing poorly you are far far better off dropping and spending that time on your other subjects, which can bring you up

Now I'm so glad I didn't do it, not because I think I'm not capable intellectually but because I know I wouldn't put in effort for it. People who do 4u maths technically put 40% of their time into it, and that takes dedication and perseverance, lots of hard work

tl;dr do it if you think you can put in heaps of time to actually DO WELL and reap the rewards of scaling. If you're willing to put in heaps of effort, its obviously worth it. If not, you might be better off excelling in 2u and 3u
hey, this is really informative because i'm sort of in a similar situation :p right now, i'm persevering and catching up on everything, but i don't know if i'll make it in time (as in, be able to smash the yearly). I'll definitely keep this is in mind thanks!

matchalolz

HSC
everyone else, thanks for your thoughts, haha very mixed opinions here! should I wait longer before deciding?

Fawun

Queen
HSC
who gives a shit what anyone says there's no harm in trying it - if you can't cope or are not getting the desired marks in 4U, then drop it

simple

that way, you don't regret not picking 4U later knowing that you at least tried it

chu feel

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
nope, why do so many people think i'm a guy?? just curious lol.
Probably because a vast majority of people on BOS are male,so people assume especially if you don't have your Gender set as female

People may think your subjects are traditionally 'male' orientated subjects so make automatic judgement based on that.

I'd say try 4u but only if you legitimately start putting a lot of effort into maths,and attempt to catch up.
Goodluck

flyingmwa

HSC
who gives a shit what anyone says there's no harm in trying it - if you can't cope or are not getting the desired marks in 4U, then drop it

simple

that way, you don't regret not picking 4U later knowing that you at least tried it

chu feel
Dasss rite!
I plus one this! :)

matchalolz

HSC

simple

chu feel
dayum gurl - going to assume you're a girl just coz ;)

love your attitude <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)