4u maths (1 Viewer)

matchalolz

HSC
how much homework is involved in 4u maths? 1 hour per night? 2?
I just want to get an idea of what I'm signing myself up for

would be handy if people could share some insights thanks :spin:

HSC

It depends on your abilities. How are you doing in extension 1 maths? Acing or barely passing?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
depends, sometimes a lot, sometimes zero. (but then there is study/practice)

astroman

HSC
simple way to put it, if u are doing 10units total, 4u equates to 4/10 unites, i.e 40%, thus, spend 40% of total time studying 4u.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
simple way to put it, if u are doing 10units total, 4u equates to 4/10 unites, i.e 40%, thus, spend 40% of total time studying 4u.
I remember saying this :D

but yeah 4U should be taking up a lot of time; not only with homework but also study/past papers/practice/etc

matchalolz

HSC
It depends on your abilities. How are you doing in extension 1 maths? Acing or barely passing?
um around 70% but i barely study lol
studied a bit for my most recent exam but i haven't got it back

idk how u judge my abilities, rank is above average at a selective if that helps?

matchalolz

HSC
k den

has your question been answered?
i sort of want to hear what other people's study habits are like....
like would you be spending a lot more time on math than if u just did 3u and roughly how much etc etc
it's fine though, i guess i can't really ask people to put a quantitative figure on it since it varies

i feel like I'm derailing my own thread

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
i sort of want to hear what other people's study habits are like....
like would you be spending a lot more time on math than if u just did 3u and roughly how much etc etc
it's fine though, i guess i can't really ask people to put a quantitative figure on it since it varies
it really depends but you can't just skim the whole course and get a decent mark in the end like English

i feel like I'm derailing my own thread
dem feels

Verify

HSC
4u is something different from the rest of your subjects. It requires special attention because you need to understand the foundations of the course to do well. So I'd say you'd need to constantly be studying for 4u throughout Year 12 or else you'd risk falling behind. For 4u, consistency is the most important factor, and exposing yourself to new questions and scenarios are also important.
Homework wise my class got us to do one exercise from a chapter per lesson to complete for the next lesson. So it wasn't all too bad but there is a lot of content for 4u so be consistent!! :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
How much work you do per night also depends on some factors such as (but not exclusive to):

1. Do you intend to get tutored on it, or are you self learning?

2. Your previous learning habits. Do you memorise Maths formulas and methods, or do you actually understand what you're doing?

3. When you study, is it legitimate quality study time, or half YT/FB etc plus study?

4. What are you aiming for? State Rank? E4? E3? Pass?

5. How much do you actually like Maths?

Also, welcome to the 4U Team =)

Last edited:

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC

1-2 hours would be enough for 3-4 hard problems:spzz:

angelano33

HSC
Hmm when I first started it took me a night to just complete three questions from an exercise (with sub questions though) but after I've studied it for a while I came up with a strategy so that made 4u a lot easier for me to study, but of course it still took up half of my study time.
Studying 4U will make 3u a lot easier which can relatively reduce the time you spend on 3u but that's just my personal opinion.

HSC
Hmm when I first started it took me a night to just complete three questions from an exercise (with sub questions though) but after I've studied it for a while I came up with a strategy so that made 4u a lot easier for me to study, but of course it still took up half of my study time.
Studying 4U will make 3u a lot easier which can relatively reduce the time you spend on 3u but that's just my personal opinion.
That's true and one must constantly study 4/3u in order to achieve an e4 and do well.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
Try to balance your studying between 4U and 3U since most folks focus too much on 4U and leave 3U behind.

matchalolz

HSC
How much work you do per night also depends on some factors such as (but not exclusive to):

1. Do you intend to get tutored on it, or are you self learning?

2. Your previous learning habits. Do you memorise Maths formulas and methods, or do you actually understand what you're doing?

3. When you study, is it legitimate quality study time, or half YT/FB etc plus study?

4. What are you aiming for? State Rank? E4? E3? Pass?

5. How much do you actually like Maths?

Also, welcome to the 4U Team =)
1. Self learing, I don't plan on getting tutoring because I've never been tutored and don't plan on it (if I do, only for english)
2. Used to memorise formulas, then after half yearlies for yr 11, I started actually understanding stuff
3. I do both ><
4. Aiming for E4 (lol don't know if that's aiming too high :p)
5. I like all my subjects except for english pretty equally derp, I'd say I sort of like it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)