4unit maths is so not worth it!! (1 Viewer)

overwhelming

the extra unit of maths is like 50% more work comparatively when you look at the time 2/3 unit takes.

The 3/4 unit combo is 50% more work than 2/3 combination!

They should give better scaling for 4unit candidates.

Right now it is totally crap!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
3/4 is also 40% of your hsc. ;)

And the fact that after a while you won't need to do 3u maths. AND the fact that there is just about no such thing as "i stuffed up in the test". AND the fact that a single teacher can't stuff you up cause they didn't like your essay etc.

nuff said.

oh, did i mention that scaling is lot? 43% of students get band 6, more or less. And a band 6 in 4u is worth like 10 of any other subject, just about.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
yup, see how interesting it is? what more need we say? just do all those papers, you'll be riveted. :)

overwhelming

Why waste so much time for only 1 more unit?? 4unit maths vs 3unit..

The Board of Studies does not release information on scaling because they know that if they do, people will not be so stupid as to do 4u.

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
why is it a waste of time? I don't see your logic. You will be concentrating on 4 unit maths, true. But on the other hand, you will NOT be concentrating on 2u and 3u, cause it'll be like assumed knowledge to you (if yyou do enough 4u). Well, maybe a bit of 3u, but still.

overwhelming

well the extra unit is not worth it when you mathematically calculate it.

You spend at least 1/2 of your HSC time on that extra 1unit and therefore you cannot focus on your other subjects.

The scaling advantages/advantages of doing 4unit maths (If any) is not enough to outweigh how time consuming and demanding the subject is.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by overwhelming
well the extra unit is not worth it when you mathematically calculate it.

You spend at least 1/2 of your HSC time on that extra 1unit and therefore you cannot focus on your other subjects.

The scaling advantages/advantages of doing 4unit maths (If any) is not enough to outweigh how time consuming and demanding the subject is.
what math do you do? obviously you can't calculate and understand as well as us 4u students. hahaha... joking.

there is no scaling advantage... scaling system is suppose to be fair, the thing with doing 4u is that if math was your best subject then you want as many units to count as possible in your 10 units.

4u overlaps heaps with 3u... 80% of the stuff is just a harder version of the 3u course... so by learning it you'll benefit your 3u marks as well.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by overwhelming
The Board of Studies does not release information on scaling
Yeah, I think the UAC's the one that releases the scaling. The BOS doesn't do any scaling, apart from pegging the marks.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Anyway, since smart people generally do 4 unit maths, they do well in all their other subjects. This makes the scaling for 4 unit maths good, if not very good.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
4u overlaps heaps with 3u... 80% of the stuff is just a harder version of the 3u course... so by learning it you'll benefit your 3u marks as well.
Yeah, I mean complex numbers is just algebra with i^2 = -1 :D

abdooooo!!!

Banned
yes Keypad... :p
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Anyway, since smart people generally do 4 unit maths, they do well in all their other subjects. This makes the scaling for 4 unit maths good, if not very good.
im not sure about that... i think the 4u scaled mark average is derived from 2/3u students because there are more of them. and the 2/3u scaled marks is derived from what you said. so thats why its so high every year the 4u scaled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)