4unit maths is so not worth it!! (2 Viewers)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
haha damn! 75th percentile in 4u equals the 99th percentile in 2u.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i told you people... them idiots who don't do 4u math in the first place can't understand this complex idea of that 4u is a life saver for someone who has math as their best subject or fit in their 10 best units. :D

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
but which is easier. getting 48.2 in 2u maths or 45.4 in ext 2 maths?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Heinz
but which is easier. getting 48.2 in 2u maths or 45.4 in ext 2 maths?
of course 4u is easier to get 45.4

me thinks that to get 90+ hsc mark for 4u you need only around 60% raw max

and for 2u 95+ hsc mark you need around at least 90%+.

so of course 4u is easier because you're suppose to study 2 twice the amount of time as a 2u student since you get twice amount of the marks.

but in theory they should be the same as difficult if the scailing system is not flawed. ;)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Rahul
pay closer attention to scaled marks, they are used in calculation for the uai.
what? what do you think we're talking about? ahahaha... 2u 48.2 = 4u 45.4 = 46.1 uac scaled marks.

i've said this before but who made this gay system of hsc mark up? man it has nothing to do with anything... it doesn't tell you your actual exam mark ie raw mark. it doesn't tell you the mark that it counts in the end ie uac's scaled mark. so its nothing... its a gay mark made by board of studies, the state government so no one gets something like 10% in their hsc exam mark.... so they'll get more votes from parents or something since education in the state is healthy.

kingtut

I must agree with with overwhelming. A lot of topics and deeper, just for the extra unit. Just do it if you enjoy maths, are good at it and perhaps have a good 4-hour/week tutor, eg. Prior (albeit expensive). Conspiracy theory anyone? It reminds me of the dictation test of the now defunct white Australia policy: Gather up all the Asians, give them a hell of a tough test, but withhold the scaling they deserve. If you want 100 UAI, just do 3unit and invest the many hours saved doing 3u history and/or english.

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by kingtut
I must agree with with overwhelming. A lot of topics and deeper, just for the extra unit. Just do it if you enjoy maths, are good at it and perhaps have a good 4-hour/week tutor, eg. Prior (albeit expensive). Conspiracy theory anyone? It reminds me of the dictation test of the now defunct white Australia policy: Gather up all the Asians, give them a hell of a tough test, but withhold the scaling they deserve. If you want 100 UAI, just do 3unit and invest the many hours saved doing 3u history and/or english.
do you do 4u math? have you done it before?

from what i experienced so far, if you understand the basics of 4u you are therefore already an above average 3u student. you can practically not study the 3u course and get a very good mark on it if your 4u is ok. so there is no extra time spend studying, because if you gonna want a good mark in 3u then you must spend as much time as the 4u student on math, but since you didn't pick it you can not get the benefit of it.

so in short studying 4u = studying harder version of 3u.

but if you are that kind of person who don't like math... then don't do math at all... why do you do 3u in the first place? according to you, doesn't the same argument apply to 3u math as well? :p

go pick 4 units of english, 5 units of history, 2 units of religion study if math is not for you... hsc is about picking your strongest 10 units. and always pick the heighest level of a course if you want to do well.

Last edited:

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
you just don't get it do you... man you stupid... shouldn't have proved you were not.

i'll say this again the 4u scaled marks is derived from the difference between the performance of 2/3u students on the common 3u paper.
I don't even think that's correct. UAC has their little system which is bloody hard to explain. It's an iterative method after a while they come up with scaling, based on everyone's performance in all of their subjects. The basic idea behind it is that everyone will generally perform equally in all of their subjects. And the numbers are so large that it's a good method.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by kingtut
Just do it if you enjoy maths, are good at it and perhaps have a good 4-hour/week tutor
If you're good at it, (i.e. top 75% of 4 unit candidates, which isn't really saying much) you don't need a tutor. As long a you can beat 1 in every 4 people in the state, you're already better off than someone who can beat 9 in every 10 people in the state in Mathematics.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by overwhelming
If the 4unit person is smart, why don't they maximise their potential overall as opposed to focussing on 4unit maths??

I'm suggesting that a smart student should in fact do 3unit maths even though they are perfectly capable of 4unit.
ahahahha that makes no sense mate.. a person should maximise their potential by not taking up challenging courses?
ok obviously, pick the subjects you like, but if we're talking scaling - that's what i thought when i got my HSC marks, but then i found out that despite getting a very dodgy 4u mark, it counted over chemistry and jap cont that i did A LOT better in. we all know that 4u scales well, but like.. it scales REALLY REALLY REALLY well. also, a really fantastic advantage of doing 4u is that your ext1 counts for 2 units!

if you think that you can do better in the HSC with ext1 and the extra time then obviously go for it. meanwhile, if you're up for the challenge, and only if you are, then I would definitely take it because you will be rewarded. and well, if you don't think it's worth it then that's your opinion i don't see why you feel the need to make this rather pointless thread especially when you weren't able to see how things turn out first hand. :confused:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
I don't even think that's correct. UAC has their little system which is bloody hard to explain. It's an iterative method after a while they come up with scaling, based on everyone's performance in all of their subjects. The basic idea behind it is that everyone will generally perform equally in all of their subjects. And the numbers are so large that it's a good method.
well the uac dude at uni said it was done like this: they compare all the courses with english canditures as everyone does english area of studies, and if a subject like math and english have multiple levels of difficulties they derive it from the common paper(s) which is a more accurate indication of skills at a particular subject.

edit: i understand what you are saying but for as i said if a subject has multiple difficulties, they derive it from the common paper performance, after they did what you said with the other courses. thats why you find even distinction courses which surely must have the heighest quality canditures having a lower averaged scale than 4u math. and the problem with 4u english working like this is that 4u english has nothing to do with 2/3u version, so student can not benefit from the extra knowledge. :)

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Does ESL do the area of study?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
nah, they have a have special system to cater for them handicapped langauge people. ;)

edit: the thing is there is only around 2000 people doing ESL, so it would not effect the total scale mean much if any at all. :)

edit again: do they? i think they do... who does ESL here? but i think the course is scaled differently though since its a special course.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
DO 4u maths if u enjoy it !
Get a tutor only if u so enjoy itso much.. u want to do more..
n eventually if u realli lik it .. ull realli appreciate it and with lil study ull do ok in the HSC n it may save ure ass

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
quit posting here. Not constructive, go and study. Its a waste of time, and it's prolly started to rack up post counts. :-\

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by GuardiaN
quit posting here. Not constructive, go and study. Its a waste of time, and it's prolly started to rack up post counts. :-\
yeah thats the whole point. im bored... whats you and your constructive theory? you're so suppose to be bored of studies to be here.... meaning you don't wanna study anymore. :)

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Yeah i hate how ppl post jus for the sake of increasing their post counts...

wait a minute...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)