5 Bedroom Apartment (1 Viewer)

manutd8

HSC
Hey guys, i got an offer from Macq Uni Village for a 5 Bedroom apartment. im just wondering, does anyone know if sharing a house is good or not? like has anyone shared a house before and got wierd people lol?!

Thanks

Andi0390

HSC
I haven't shared with university apartments but I've been sharing with the general population for the last few years.

Even when you meet people for the first time you never know if you are going to like them after living with them for a week, or if they are going to turn out to be total creeps. Its a bit of a gamble and sometimes you get strange people - but you deal with it and move on or move out.

Don't be scared of strangers, generally other housemates respect good housemates, so if you are good then hopefully it should all work out well.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I lived in a share house that was absolute hell - I had 7am starts every day, 2 of my housemates worked in hospitality and didn't start work till midday, getting home at like 2am and would then put the TV on reaaaaaally loud, and have parties on like a wednesday night when I was trying to work and complete my internship.
One time I went into the kitchen at night and there was this crunching under my feet and I put the light on and it was maggots all over the floor!!! And no-one ever cleaned the bathroom except me. Yuk.
I lasted 2 months and was outa there!

I have since lived in college style accomodation and that was much better, though possibly because my fellow students were a lot more considerate and and all had the same workload as me. Also we had cleaners.

I think a Uni share appartment would be better than a random share house because at least they (generally) get cleaned, and your housemates would also be students. But keep in mind that people will
a) never wash the dishes
b) always eat your food - seriously, always, even if you know every single person you live with, food will always go "missing"
c) always make noise when you are trying to sleep / study (whether intentionally or not).

And some people are only-children who've never had to share - its hard living with people like that sometimes.

Andi0390

HSC
And some people are only-children who've never had to share - its hard living with people like that sometimes.
I'm an only child and I am good to live with (not just my opinion). Living in a house isn't about sharing - its about knowing your boundaries and taking care of yourself. Become your own responsibility.

William kamel

HSC
One solution to this is to find friends and rent an apartment near the uni, but not an actual apartment owned by the uni.:spin:, so that it's probably guaranteed that u don't get randoms allocated to the apartment that ur staying at, but that might be a problem considerin that ur going to Macquarie Uni, which might not be close to anything that ur friends might possibly go to or want to go to.

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I live with friends (there's 6 of us in our house, good thing it's a big one)! Living with friends can be both good and bad; but my general advice with living with more than a couple of people is:
-agree on levels of cleanliness people want and sort out a compromise
-have some sort of set routine/breakdown for chores, even if it's cleaning the bathroom once a month
-compromise. You're never completely going to get what you want with 5 people, but you need to agree on things somehow.
-COMMUNICATE. No one will know you're pissed off that the bathroom is only cleaned once a month if you never say it.

Share houses tend to become the lowest common denominator in terms of what is done and how much. Find a place/people with which you can bear living for a while, try and sort out what people want, and after that, remember that we're all different and you'll hopefully only be doing it for a few years.

I get annoyed frequently about the state of the house I live in, but I've been here a year and we just signed another lease, so eh, it could be worse :)

As for weird people- I've lived in a few different share houses, with my share of good and bad people; yeah, you might get some weird types, but they tend to be the most interesting in my experience. You'll learn a hell of a lot living in a shared house. It's really good life experience.

Oh, and sort out money early on. If it's a uni place I presume they'll be stealing your money individually, but sort out communal stuff early, consider a weekly bills/utilities account if the uni doesn't steal that directly either. It's much better to get a big bill and know there's $250 in the bills account already and not have to wait for people to find money.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I'm an only child and I am good to live with (not just my opinion). Living in a house isn't about sharing - its about knowing your boundaries and taking care of yourself. Become your own responsibility.
Living in a share house is all about sharing - you have to share a bathroom, share bills, share kitchen use, share chores.

Yes its about knowing boundaries as well, and considering others in regards to noise and mess, but the problems often arise from shared things - unwashed dishes, fridge space, bathroom access, lack of contribution to chores. Some people (not only only-children) struggle with the concept.

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
Josie's post covered just about everything that you need to know. I would only add a couple of things:

If possible live with people who know how to cook, clean, and have stable employment. If you don't have those skills yourself ask your parents and friends to teach them to you.

If you are moving out of home for a lifestyle choice (in other words you have the option of remaining at home) remember that you will have to set aside much more time preparing food and doing housework. Even if you think that you help out a lot at home you will find there are more things that need doing when you are out of home. Also, it is also more expensive.

Older housemates are usually cleaner, more reliable, and more mature which all makes for a better experience and environment. If you're 18 it might be difficult to believe 30 year-olds go out and have fun, but it's true. If they are nice they might even assume more of the costs if they work full-time themselves in exchange for you doing little jobs for them during business hours (going to the post office, etc).

Have a plan for what will happen when someone moves out. Who is responsible for filling the room, paying rent while it is vacant, advertising etc. It is much better to have this worked out before anyone agrees to move in.

Good luck and have fun. Share housing is generally great fun and you can meet some good people you otherwise might have not encountered.

fetiche

HSC
You ever watched How I met Your Mother? It's going to be awesome like that lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)