5yrs degree salary > 4 yrs degree salary (1 Viewer)

lou071

HSC
N/A
Well I was reading this Teacher Salaries - Future Students - The University of Sydney

and it says 5 yrs trained students get paid more than 4 yrs trained students.

If thats the graudate salary after doing education at uni, how much does it increase every year ?

Here is more links to prove the point.

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employment/salaryallow/index.htm
i remember reading some posts from bored of studies website that teacher's salaries don't increase a lot despite their years of experience

lou071

HSC
N/A
It's a bit misleading of them to say that 5YT teachers are paid more. Salary is calculated based on number of years of experience, and while 5YT teachers starts one year higher up the salary ladder (i.e. they earn what a 4YT teacher would earn on their second year out), the salary increases at the same rate.

For instance:
A 4YT teacher starts at ~$50,000 (in 2008 - changes each year roughly in line with CPI)
In their second year teaching they earn ~$53,000
Third year - ~$56,000

A 5YT teacher starts at ~$53,000
In their second year they earn ~$56,000
Third year - ~$58,000
and so on...

So superficially, teachers with five years of training earn more per year of experience, but you have to remember that while they spend that extra year at uni, the 4YT teachers are out earning money.
silly question, but if you earn $53000 annually how much tax do you need to pay?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
It's a bit misleading of them to say that 5YT teachers are paid more. Salary is calculated based on number of years of experience, and while 5YT teachers starts one year higher up the salary ladder (i.e. they earn what a 4YT teacher would earn on their second year out), the salary increases at the same rate.

For instance:
A 4YT teacher starts at ~$50,000 (in 2008 - changes each year roughly in line with CPI)
In their second year teaching they earn ~$53,000
Third year - ~$56,000

A 5YT teacher starts at ~$53,000
In their second year they earn ~$56,000
Third year - ~$58,000
and so on...

So superficially, teachers with five years of training earn more per year of experience, but you have to remember that while they spend that extra year at uni, the 4YT teachers are out earning money.
Yep, and the glass ceiling is no higher for 5 year trained teachers.

Actually, if you want to move into an admin role at a school thesedays, you will probably need to get an MEd, so I think you would be better off getting a 4 year degree, starting work a year earlier, and doing your MEd part time by correspondence or in the evening.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Does pay actually depend on how many years you studied? That's odd. What if you only do 2-3?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Does pay actually depend on how many years you studied? That's odd. What if you only do 2-3?
I don't think there have been any 2 year trained teachers since the mid to late 60s and they were Primary ones.

By the time I was training most were at least 3 years trained for Primary with increasing numbers of 4 years in Primary.

High school had moved to 4 years earlier due to Bachelor's degree in subjects and then a Dip. Ed.

There used to be two scales of pay - one for two/three years and one for 4/5 year trained teachers. That changed in the late 80s or early 90s when all teachers moved onto the same scale (a 13 step scale with 3 year trained teachers beginning at Step 1 and 4 year trained teachers starting at Step 6). 5 year trained teachers started at Step 7. Eventually 4 and 5 year trained teachers ended at Step 13 whereas 3 year trained teachers ended at Step 8 unless they did extra study to get 4 year qualifications.

Private schools now have a three Step progression with teachers spending 4 to 5 years in each of Steps 1 and 2 and no automatic progression.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Okay, so basically study for 4-5 years if you wanna make decent money? :p

Just thought I'd bring it up because I've been looking at Macquarie's courses. Their Bachelor of Education only goes for 1 and a half years and the Graduate Diploma only a year.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Okay, so basically study for 4-5 years if you wanna make decent money? :p

Just thought I'd bring it up because I've been looking at Macquarie's courses. Their Bachelor of Education only goes for 1 and a half years and the Graduate Diploma only a year.
But these are after or concurent with you subject degrees and those count for the extra years.

I am 4 year trained based on 3 year BA and 1 year Dip.Ed.

A friend of mine is 5 years trained based on 3 year BA, 1 year Honours and 1 year Dip. Ed.

As a result the 1.5 year B.Ed and 1 year Grad Dip Ed (which mine was but wan't called that at the time hence no Grad in my qualifications) would be additional to your BA, BSc or whatever you are doing as your subject degree.

A 3 year BA in English and History plus a one year Grad Dip Ed equals 4 year trained teacher.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Ah yep, I get ya. Should probably talk to someone from the Uni to understand it better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)