60 Minutes - Skin Cancer (1 Viewer)

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
shortie_689 said:
Country/Region Extrapolated Incidence Population Estimated Used
Brazil 676,842 184,101,1092
Australia 73,210 19,913,1442

who was the idiot that said brazil hardly had any incidence...
katie_tully said:
For you dumbarses out there, the statistics Shortie just pasted go like this;
Incidence on the left, country population on the right.

Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer per capita, but the statistics provided show that skin cancer is prevalent EVERYWHERE.
A few things, this data is, as described by the the compiler, "a meaningless indication".

<adopting the attitude of katie_tully>

For you katie_tully, the true dumbarse, this data is nothing. A person has multiplied the rate of Australia by the population of Brazil. I am sorry if you two in your narrow dumbarse understanding of plainly obvious statistics can't grasp that this isn't ... anything.

</adopting the attitude of katie_tully>

These statistics show only that Australia has skin cancer victims and that Australia and Brazil have a population, none of which you set out to prove.

Current affairs journalism is a joke.

Please, don't think that I think that skin cancer doesn't exist or that it isn't a terrible thing to have. Your cause isn't helped by bashful meaninglesses such as these and frankly your post angers me more than some people's narrow minded opinions.

shortie_689

HSC
Jumbo Cactuar said:
A few things, this data is, as described by the the compiler, "a meaningless indication".

For you katie_tully, the true dumbarse, this data is nothing. A person has multiplied the rate of Australia by the population of Brazil. I am sorry if you two in your narrow dumbarse understanding of plainly obvious statistics can't grasp that this isn't ... anything.

These statistics show only that Australia has skin cancer victims and that Australia and Brazil have a population, none of which you set out to prove.

Please, don't think that I think that skin cancer doesn't exist or that it isn't a terrible thing to have. Your cause isn't helped by bashful meaninglesses such as these and frankly your post angers me more than some people's narrow minded opinions.
for ur information mr
it wasnt current affairs
it was 60 minutes and it wasnt journalism it was a report with real people and real statistics

so stop angering me with ur narrow minded comments

kirabolton

HSC
BreaKing said:
have you not ever heard of sunscreen?
Actually my mum had skin cancer and went to this special clinic in Victoria for skin cancer people, anyway, at this place they told everybody that although sunscreen stops visible burning on your skin it doesn't actually stop the burning that causes melanoma's and therefore sunscreen doesn't really help that much. Besides you can put sunscreen on but then forget to re - apply it, or i don't know, other stuff that means you get burnt anyway. I think as long as your sensible at the beach, like swimming but not for heaps long then wearing clothes and stuff when your not swimming, OH and no sun baking, then you'll be a bit safer.

kylie-rose

HSC
Ben, the 17 year old guy that was on 60 minutes is one of my best friends.
He has already been through so much, and still has a lot ahead of him.

what he is going through really does affect his friends, i should know- deputy principal had me crying in her office today, again.

i dont think a lot of people realise what one suspect mole can eventuate to. skin cancer can spread to all parts of your body.

K

katie_tully

Jumbo Cactuar said:

About these extrapolations of prevalence and incidence statistics for Skin Cancer: These statistics are calculated extrapolations of various prevalence or incidence rates against the populations of a particular country or region. The statistics used for prevalence/incidence of Skin Cancer are typically based on US, UK, Canadian or Australian statistics. This extrapolation calculation is automated and does not take into account any genetic, cultural, environmental, social, racial or other differences across the various countries and regions for which the extrapolated Skin Cancer statistics below refer to. As such, these extrapolations may be highly inaccurate (especially for developing or third-world countries) and only give a general indication (or even a meaningless indication) as to the actual prevalence or incidence of Skin Cancer in that region.
About prevalence and incidence statistics in general for Skin Cancer: The word 'prevalence' of Skin Cancer usually means the estimated population of people who are managing Skin Cancer at any given time (i.e. people with Skin Cancer). The term 'incidence' of Skin Cancer means the annual diagnosis rate, or the number of new cases of Skin Cancer diagnosed each year (i.e. getting Skin Cancer). Hence, these two statistics types can differ: a short disease like flu can have high annual incidence but low prevalence, but a life-long disease like diabetes has a low annual incidence but high prevalence. For more information see about prevalence and incidence statistics.
:uhhuh:

People like you anger me, and people who do not comprehend the seriousness of the issue, and then become burdens on the health system in 20 years because of your ignorance to the situation.

You've just tried to refute my argument by criticising the reliance of the sources - nice work. I posted the sources that would be most relevant to the mentality of the current posters who have shown nothing but a childish attitude to the cause.

shortie_689

HSC
kylie-rose said:
Ben, the 17 year old guy that was on 60 minutes is one of my best friends.
He has already been through so much, and still has a lot ahead of him.

what he is going through really does affect his friends, i should know- deputy principal had me crying in her office today, again.

i dont think a lot of people realise what one suspect mole can eventuate to. skin cancer can spread to all parts of your body.
see...
gawd i wish all the deadshits like Jumbo Cactuar would actually realise this...
some people are so ignorant and just plain dumb...
no one understands the true wrath of cancer
aaargh i just wanna grab the idiots and shake them

asscookie

dork.
HSC
kirabolton said:
Actually my mum had skin cancer and went to this special clinic in Victoria for skin cancer people, anyway, at this place they told everybody that although sunscreen stops visible burning on your skin it doesn't actually stop the burning that causes melanoma's and therefore sunscreen doesn't really help that much. Besides you can put sunscreen on but then forget to re - apply it, or i don't know, other stuff that means you get burnt anyway. I think as long as your sensible at the beach, like swimming but not for heaps long then wearing clothes and stuff when your not swimming, OH and no sun baking, then you'll be a bit safer.
You can get sunscreens that protect against both UVA & UVB rays (UVA rays are the bad ones that cause melanoma), it's just that many only cover UVB rays, and most people don't apply nearly enough sunscreen for it to have the desired effect.

K

katie_tully

In regards to Kirabolton;
You're completely right. Also, people don't realise that being exposed to the sun doesn't mean that's where you're going to get the cancer. The melanoma can develop on the soul of ones foot if another part of their body has been exposed too much.

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
shortie_689 said:
for ur information mr
it wasnt current affairs
it was 60 minutes and it wasnt journalism it was a report with real people and real statistics

so stop angering me with ur narrow minded comments
Think before you post.

'60 Minutes' and 'A Current Affair' are both current affairs journalism.

I never suggested one or the other because it matters little.

It was a 'report'. The only difference is that it has a small element of data and not quite as much conjecture.

K

katie_tully

The sources we provided were not from A Current Affair OR 60 Minutes. If one does not consider them worthy of acknowledging, perhaps you'd like to contact the NSW Health Department, or the Skin Cancer Foundation for more accurate information?

Gee, I wonder what the results will be ...

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
I thoroughly agree with you.

However, your 'source' of 'groundbreaking proof' is not what you say it is. It is proof of nothing, and all I'm trying to say is as much.

kirabolton

HSC
What pisses me off though is when you see teenagers lying on the beach with skin abnormally brown. I do mean to stereotype here but i hope i'm forgiven for it, it's usually those skinny popular, pretty girls who think a tan is essential to being beautiful, i wonder how beautiful they'll look in 20 years with a mega scar running down their skin. My mum got a huge chunk cut out of her arm (and despite it now looking as if she has mega muscles) it's a huge scar and means she can't wear lots of stuff. I used to not be to concerned with skin cancer, i def. know i was one of those 'it can't happen to me and if it does i'll get over it' people but now i realise it's so stupid. It's kind of embarrasing at first to get a skin cancer check but really what does it matter if it could mean saving your life.

shortie_689

HSC
kirabolton said:
What pisses me off though is when you see teenagers lying on the beach with skin abnormally brown. I do mean to stereotype here but i hope i'm forgiven for it, it's usually those skinny popular, pretty girls who think a tan is essential to being beautiful, i wonder how beautiful they'll look in 20 years with a mega scar running down their skin. My mum got a huge chunk cut out of her arm (and despite it now looking as if she has mega muscles) it's a huge scar and means she can't wear lots of stuff. I used to not be to concerned with skin cancer, i def. know i was one of those 'it can't happen to me and if it does i'll get over it' people but now i realise it's so stupid. It's kind of embarrasing at first to get a skin cancer check but really what does it matter if it could mean saving your life.
how is it embarresing ill be getting one for sure

asscookie

dork.
HSC
I had my skin checked when I was about 11..or 12. But it was hell embarassing. They check your arse crack and everything.

nuclear chick

HSC
Kylie-Rose- does Ben have a sister called Kelly Anne? Because I went to school with her and Im 90% sure Ben's her brother.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Being in the sun doesn't automatically mean that you'll get cancer. After all, UV rays cut through clouds, so just because you can't feel any heat from the sun doesn't mean that you're not exposed to UC rays. After all, the reason why skiers wear goggles is to protect their eyes from the UV radiation reflected off the snow.

Also, wearing clothes out on the beach isn't a bad idea. Getting sunburnt is a worse look than wearing a soaked shirt clinging to your back. Plus, it hurts like a bitch when you try to sleep at night. As the cancer foundation hacks have said, tans and sunburns are actually your skin telling you that "Ow, it hurts. Get the hell out of the sun!"

Still, it's inevitable that you''ll get some UV rays. There's not much you can do about that. Dabbing on liberal amounts of sunscreen is rather impractical in my opinion. You can sit in the shade, but you're still exposed to UV, to an extent. Therefore, get a check-up every now and then, and if you see a mole that's expending eerily, go to a doctor or something.

Oh, and can you people please stop writing massive paragraphs with no full stops or capitalisations? Urgh, they hurt my eyes. It's not that hard to press enter twice every now and then, or shift+letter something to make it a capital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)