60 Minutes - Skin Cancer (1 Viewer)

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
It is like all things in life, a thing of moderation.

We are all aware of the problems of overexposure to the sun. No seems to care about underexposure. UV light (wavelengths 290-315nm, the energetic ones) are required for the photosythesis of vitamin D.

Alternative sources exist as additives in some foods and pill supplements, but the original and most important source is sunlight.

Consequences of vitamin D deficency include rickets and bone softening. There is further scientific speculation "that low vitamin D levels contribute to cancer and auto immune disease".

On a two-sided coin note, consequences of vitamin D excess include loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, headache, depression and deposits of calcium in the kidneys.

As with all things in life, moderation is the key. I hope everyone realises this before locking your future children indoors in fear of skin cancer, only to discover bone malformation and potentially other cancers and AIDS.

OS

Banned
HSC
Of course many of you are going to scoff at skin cancer warnings -as youth, we are young and INVINCIBLE right?? The former we certainly are but the latter, as hard as it seems to believe, we are not. Have you seen all those elderly people with ugly sun spots, they are the nicest thing you will get from years of over-exposure to the sun. The worst thing, of course, is skin cancer and, yes, it is a stark reality in Australia.

http://www.drmelton.com/Chicago/skincancerpictures/bccrec5.htm

In fact, the more tanned you are, the less attractive - you are simply more aged than someone paler (unless you are born that colour)..... In fact, sounds sick, but the darker the skin on the rest of your body is from the skin on your butt (your real natural colour), the more premature aging that has taken place and the higher your risk of a melanoma... And once skin cancer is detected, even if it is treated with success initially, there is always a good chance of it returning. I mean, why would you risk it? In the end, anyway, you will age so much more gracefully if you protect yourself from the sun. It's so ironic - that hot tanned chick who bakes herself on a regular basis - even she does not die of a skin cancer - will be the most unattractively wrinkled up, sun spotted old woman. Honestly, sunscreen is probably better at preventing aging than anti-aging creams alone... Even if you're not worried about aesthetics, look at Ben - so young and having think about leaving this world because some stupid tumour that could have been prevented is eating away at him and consequently his precious life...

shortie_689

HSC
My uncle had skin cancers removed a while back but not soon enough an didnt have his regular checks and low and behold he now has full blown cancer along with brain tumors... so something so petty as some beleive will most certainly lead to something much greater if not treated.

OS

Banned
HSC
shortie_689 said:
My uncle had skin cancers removed a while back but not soon enough an didnt have his regular checks and low and behold he now has full blown cancer along with brain tumors... so something so petty as some beleive will most certainly lead to something much greater if not treated.
Yeah, I have heard of ppl who have just discovered they have cancer and been dead within no time. I think cancer is one of the scariest diseases... And I was speaking to an elderly lady who was saying about just how terrible the effects of the chemotherapy alone can be - infertility, blood pressure so high/low you can hardly get up, hair loss etc. etc.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Anyone here get on the website aafterwards and read what that prof had to say?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)