60% of Uni Students live below the Poverty Line (3 Viewers)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
I dont have a job whilist living in Syd. I survive on $408 of youth allwance a fortnight, $208 of that being for rent per fortnight. Some times i cant afford food. I have to scab off other residents, who are nice enough to cook me dinner sometimes. I simply dont have time to get a job, most jobs I could have the time to do are jobs like bar work which i cant cuz i dont have an RSA and im too poor to get it.
You spend more then $200 on food, textbooks and the internet for study purposes per fortnight?

I have less spare than you but I manage to do well (granted I get some money off my parents but my rent is also $50 a week more).

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I'm not saying that I have it horribly hard NTB, because my parents would help me out if I was literally starving, however I am saying that I feel very sorry for those that do not have parental financial backup because I have worked up to 45 hours a week plus full time uni and it is really hard sometimes. Have you ever done this to afford uni + living costs? You can't really scoff then. It isn't fair that people have had to struggle to get in to uni, and then their study is impacted upon so severely by their financial problems. A lot of people (especially those who don't have to pay costs to live away from home to study) take university for granted sometimes.

$400 bucks on union fees a year isn't much when you are looking at costs of about $15000 if not more (depends on the course and what sort of equipment/books you need)..... I doubt VSU will increase the confidence that international students will have in Australian universities.

In my opinion the qualifications for youth allowance need to be reviewed so that people can get it in some situations where it is currently very difficult to qualify. YA + the max amount you can earn on it as a student is only just enough to get by (living in Sydney city for uni especially... it's much cheaper in suburbs/rural areas for rent etc).

Does anyone have any actual insights or opinions on this topic rather than pointless jabs about VSU and my internet access?
yeah I don't think I'll be going to Sydney for uni. 400 + for college - you live on campus right ash?
most of the overseas students are loaded, seeing how much the fees are.
Australia lives off Chinese tourists and students.
nat what do you spend the spare 200 on? and how the hell do you get to live in sydney for $208?!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
leetom said:
It can't be that bad. I personally have a great affection for the Red Army Choir and communist paraphernalia such as the big coats emblazoned with either the H&S or the Red Star.

That, and adressing each other as 'Comrade'.
oh Tommy boy. you have a long way to go don't you :p
So, in a rehash of yesterday's incredibly enlightening discussion,
Steele! You're going to Russia!

but seriously? you definite on this yet? Soviet Russia, we do that in modern, it was terrible. I mean the ideals were great, the ideals were wonderful, but the actual situation meant that they were not able to be put into place. Even in a modern developed society those ideals would be difficult to implement.

I don't know anything about Putin, buit I still haven't found a damn pic of those protestors :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Steele says a lot of things. $20 says he ends up at USyd.

And Alicia SUV's relatively affordable, or you could always stay at my place;)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
withoutaface said:
Steele says a lot of things. $20 says he ends up at USyd.

And Alicia SUV's relatively affordable, or you could always stay at my place;)
lol yeah, he shocked me into repetition yesterday. it was like
'steele! you're going to russia!'
two minutes later
etc.
how much? but then I'd miss out on throwing tomatoes at neo. I promised I'd bring him something edible. :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
cherryblossom said:
lol yeah, he shocked me into repetition yesterday. it was like
two minutes later
etc.
how much? but then I'd miss out on throwing tomatoes at neo. I promised I'd bring him something edible. :(
Going by Matt's post 250ish/fortnight

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
withoutaface said:
Going by Matt's post 250ish/fortnight
uh?!! Xayma Matt? god there are so many Matts.
what's the accommo like? you know what I should PM him
someone told me it was $400!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
cherryblossom said:
The accomodations is a private, lockable bedroom, with kitchen, TV etc facilities shared between you and four (maybe three) others

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
withoutaface said:
The accomodations is a private, lockable bedroom, with kitchen, TV etc facilities shared between you and four (maybe three) others
oh but you have to cook and stuff. yeah.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
cherryblossom said:
that's unfortunate. oopsies spamming, are you ignoring me on msn :/
Me on msn is me at home, and I won't be home for another 7 1/2 hours yet...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
It is close to that, due to the contract obligations (basically you pay $40 an extra a week as well which you spend on food etc there) so $380 a fortnight, you couldn't survive on YA alone but you would only need $50-$75 a week more (which isn't that bad) thats in a 5 bedroom, kitchen, two bathrooms shared between the 5.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Мне насрат, что ты думазш. Besides, I suspect you'll end up owing me $20. ;)
You know where the real genius lies? In the fact that I might owe you $20, but you'll be in Russia and won't be able to collect it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)