• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

7 Months to go.. (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
My friend achieved 97 UAI with subjects scaled about same to what the OP did.

/thread

btw he did industrial technology, geography, studies of religion i, english advanced, general maths and legal studies

he achieved band 6 in all his subjects.
Well, they aren't too bad scaling subjects. English (Adv) scales pretty well, and Legal, Geo and SOR have scaling approx to 25 (N.B. I said approx, don't go flaming at me if I'm not precise), which isn't too bad - so his only weak subjects were General Maths and Industrial Technology.

HSC
Well, they aren't too bad scaling subjects. English (Adv) scales pretty well, and Legal, Geo and SOR have scaling approx to 25 (N.B. I said approx, don't go flaming at me if I'm not precise), which isn't too bad - so his only weak subjects were General Maths and Industrial Technology.
ok lol im going to sound stupid now...
what does approx to 25 mean? just interested since i do legal & SOR

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
ok lol im going to sound stupid now...
what does approx to 25 mean? just interested since i do legal & SOR
Those are the scaled means of a subject.

A subject with a scaling approx to 25, is deemed to have an average scaling. Anything below has low scaling - for example standard English is ~17 I think, and higher scaling subjects have higher scaled means (e.g. Physics ~ 30 and MX2 ~ 40s).

http://boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Brief comparison:

My friend VS OP
  1. GEN MATHS = GEN MATHS
  2. English (Advanced) = English (Standard) (scaling is same)
  3. Geography < Modern History
  4. Legal Studies > Ancient History
  5. Industrial Technology <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Business Studies
  6. SOR didn't count for my friend so it's redundant
So basically, my friend had worse subjects in terms of scaling.

Scaling is really redundant in my opinion.

HSC
i think the fact that standard & advanced english have the same scaling is stupid!
is that really true?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
i think the fact that standard & advanced english have the same scaling is stupid!
is that really true?
Yes.

It isn't stupid because:

- Both courses undertake same paper 1 which is used to determined scaling of the course.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
is that really true?
THAT IS NOT TRUE.

English Advanced has a LOT higher scaling than English Standard.
In fact, even English ESL scales higher than standard.

http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2007_fin_web-sep.pdf

Quoting from the above UAC article,

English Standard
HSC 32.8
scaled 17.7

English Advanced
HSC 39.5 3
scaled 31.2
English Extension 1

HSC 39.4
scaled 36.3
English Extension 2

HSC 40.1
scaled 36.6
English as a Second Language (ESL)
HSC 35.9

scaled 21.4
Page 38, if you don't believe me.

Hence, the higher level of english you do, the better scaling you will get.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
THAT IS NOT TRUE.

English Advanced has a LOT higher scaling than English Standard.
In fact, even English ESL scales higher than standard.

Quoting from the above UAC article,

English Standard
HSC 32.8
scaled 17.7

English Advanced
HSC 39.5 3
scaled 31.2
English Extension 1

HSC 39.4
scaled 36.3
English Extension 2

HSC 40.1
scaled 36.6
English as a Second Language (ESL)
HSC 35.9

scaled 21.4
Page 38, if you don't believe me.

Hence, the higher level of english you do, the better scaling you will get.
No, you are looking at the scaled mean. Of course English (Advanced) is bound to have higher scaled mean, it has much better candidature.

EDIT:
How is English scaled?
English Standard and English Advanced are scaled as a single group.
From UAC (which does the scaling shit):

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Oh dear God did Namu get hit in the head with truck load of bricks?

Yes, it's true that they use English paper 1 to help determine the scaling of advanced and standard english students. BUT, most standard student do horribly compared to advanced students on the paper and so the scaling for standard english is pretty much horrible compared to advanced english.

Edit: The scaled mean is the number for a certain year based on how a subject scales. So since the scaled mean is lower for standard english relative to advanced english, one would say that standard english is low scaling.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Oh dear God did Namu get hit in the head with truck load of bricks?

Yes, it's true that they use English paper 1 to help determine the scaling of advanced and standard english students. BUT, most standard student do horribly compared to advanced students on the paper and so the scaling for standard english is pretty much horrible compared to advanced english.
HAHAHAHA

I like your sense of humour, anna.

But I have to disagree with your second point (I agree with the first point though which is me getting hit with the bricks LOL).

BUT, most standard student do horribly compared to advanced students on the paper and so the scaling for standard english is pretty much horrible compared to advanced english
Since the scaling is calculated for both advanced and standard as a SINGLE group, whatever others in standard get don't have any direct impact on you. It's just you and your performance. There is NO individual scaling for both standard and advanced.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
HAHAHAHA

I like your sense of humour, anna.

But I have to disagree with your second point (I agree with the first point though which is me getting hit with the bricks LOL).

Since the scaling is calculated for both advanced and standard as a SINGLE group, whatever others in standard get don't have any direct impact on you. It's just you and your performance. There is NO individual scaling for both standard and advanced.
Ah i see your confusion ^^

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
No, you are looking at the scaled mean. Of course English (Advanced) is bound to have higher scaled mean, it has much better candidature.

EDIT:
How is English scaled?
English Standard and English Advanced are scaled as a single group.
From UAC (which does the scaling shit):
This is how its scaled.

6.3 If Standard and Advanced English are scaled as a single group, why does
the same HSC mark give different scaled marks in Standard English and
Advanced English?
This issue has been raised since 2001. Since it is likely to be raised again, the explanation will be repeated.
HSC marks and scaled marks are different marks. HSC marks are the marks released by the Board to students and are the result of the standards-setting exercise. Scaled marks are, however, based on raw HSC marks.
_ In 2 unit English all students complete a common paper (Paper 1) which counts for 40% of the total
mark. Standard and Advanced students then complete separate papers that count for 60% of the
total mark.
_ The Board then uses Paper 1 to place the marks of the separate Standard and Advanced papers on the same scale so that a total (raw) examination mark can be calculated for 2 unit English. The marks for Standard and Advanced students are deemed to be on the same scale.
_
The Board moderates school assessments using these raw examination marks.
_ The raw HSC mark which is used for scaling is then calculated.
_ The raw HSC marks for the Standard and Advanced English students are combined, and scaled as a single course. A raw HSC mark yields the same scaled mark for Standard and Advanced students.

The Board aligns the raw examination marks against standards separately for Standard and Advanced students. As a result, Advanced students on a given raw mark receive a higher aligned mark than Standard students on the same raw mark. Consequently an aligned HSC mark corresponds to different scaled marks for Standard and Advanced students.

This gives the appearance that Advanced students have been disadvantaged, but this is not true.

If Table A3 in the Appendix showed the correspondence between raw HSC marks and scaled marks rather than between HSC marks and scaled marks, it would be clear that Advanced students are not disadvantaged in the scaling process.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Oh, so you're saying for English the scaling is only for the 2nd paper?
Well, basically

when the first paper is done, everyone in both standard and advanced are alligned.

Then they compare the marks of paper 1 and paper 2 of both type of candidature to determine the scaling.

So paper 1 is done:

John (standard), James (advanced), Jessica (standard) and Jane (Advanced).

They got in paper 1 like this:

john 45/45
james 44
jessica 43
jane 42

they do paper 2 (standard)
john 59/60
jessica 58/60

whereas (advanced)
james 59/60
jane 58/60

Now they align all marks where the paper 1 is basically used as a "measuring stick" to determine the "difficulty" of paper 2.

This is almost like the way in which the people at school assessments are "aligned" according to HSC marks.

My analogy: HSC (External paper) is like Paper 1 and School Assessments is like Paper 2.

Conclusion: Scaling is same and fair for everyone.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Well, basically

when the first paper is done, everyone in both standard and advanced are alligned.

Then they compare the marks of paper 1 and paper 2 of both type of candidature to determine the scaling.

So paper 1 is done:

john 45/45
james 44
jessica 43
jane 42

john 59/60
jessica 58/60

whereas (advanced)
james 59/60
jane 58/60

Now they align all marks where the paper 1 is basically used as a "measuring stick" to determine the "difficulty" of paper 2.

This is almost like the way in which the people at school assessments are "aligned" according to HSC marks.

My analogy: HSC (External paper) is like Paper 1 and School Assessments is like Paper 2.

Read he bold bit of the-derivative's post :)

j92

HSC
i know someone who achieved 98 with business servives, senior science, geo, standard english and 2 unit maths;P

Baggygreen408

HSC
Well, basically

So paper 1 is done:

john 45/45
james 44
jessica 43
jane 42

john 59/60
jessica 58/60

whereas (advanced)
james 59/60
jane 58/60

these nts r gun at english, but good explanation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)