90+ for chemistry (1 Viewer)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
This question has probably been asked previously (It was inspired by the one in the mathematics forum)... but just out of curiosity

Would anyone happen to have any idea what the raw examination mark would be for a band 6?

HSC
are you serious
i thought if you got 89 for example in the HSC exam (raw) then it would sit at 89 and you'd only get band 5

richz

well by looking at that thread if u get a raw hsc mark of 61 u get 79, so if u got a high 70 or low 80 i would say u'd get 90+

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
yea, thats pretty much rite,
last year a student got 83 for bio (raw) and it got scaled to 93, and since chem scales better than bio, id assume 80+ would be a definite band six.

richz

yeah i think even a high 70 would get u a band 6 like 78+

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
cool... thanks for the replies ppl... 80+ seems fair... i wonder what a 90 raw.. would get u... my guess is 97+...any takers

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
are you serious? 80+?

oh my god, and i thought i was stuck in band 5. :confused:

<3 chemistry scaling.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm seriously doubting some of the figures being bandied about here. I would have gotten 75-80 in last year's exam and only managed an exam mark of 85.

richz

i was basing it on ragerunners mark and how physics scales similar to chem

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
holy shit batman! thats wicked, im aiming for 80+ then

does SAM take in account of this scaling?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
queenie said:
last year a student got 83 for bio (raw) and it got scaled to 93, and since chem scales better than bio, id assume 80+ would be a definite band six.
Don't get confused between scaling and aligning.
In this instance we are talking about aligning and that has nothing to do with how other subjects are aligned. Aligning is a process used solely to account for any variations in the difficulty of an exam in one subject from year to year. The fact that chemistry often scales higher than biology does not necessarily suggest that the aligning of the chemistry exam will be any more "lenient" than that of the biology exam.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
I'm seriously doubting some of the figures being bandied about here. I would have gotten 75-80 in last year's exam and only managed an exam mark of 85.
Well, aligning changes from year to year. However, the aligning figures published by Laz do suggest that 61 aligned to 79 but I can't remember in which year - probably 2001 or 2002. This would imply that mark of around 62-63 aligned to a Band 5 and therefore that a mark of around 75-80 would align to a Band 6. That said, it's not a concrete figure that applies to every exam.

Maybe last year a mark of around 81-82 aligned to 90, in which case had you got a raw mark of 75, then an exam mark of 85 sounds about right....the only way to know for sure is through an FOI app and unfortunately BOS has prevented that from happening any further.

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
queenie said:
Your moderated assessment mark doesn't depend on how well the subject scales at all, so I wouldn't assume this. I'd say low 80s though. I find it very hard to believe they'd give a band 6 for getting 70 something.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
The thing you must remember though is that if scaling.aligning is as high as mentioned before, it is only because it will be much harder to achieve that mark. It's all relative and fair in the end, so it will not make too much of a difference. The Board doesn't just scale for the hell of it, the board will scale Chemistry up because typically, peope go poorly in the subject which of course, changes each year.

The thing people must remember is that scaling is there to even things out. People complain about poorly scaling subjects...but they only scale poorly because it's easy to achieve good marks. The same stands in reverse.

Budz

HSC
so does this scaling or whatever remain constant for various people... that doesnt make sense but say

Someone gets 84 raw and gets scaled to 94 (ten marks)

then does somewone who gets 90 raw get scaled to 100 (ten marks)

04er

HSC
Budz said:
so does this scaling or whatever remain constant for various people... that doesnt make sense but say

Someone gets 84 raw and gets scaled to 94 (ten marks)

then does somewone who gets 90 raw get scaled to 100 (ten marks)
no. a group of teachers sit down, go through the papers thoroughly and discuss among themselves to decide what raw 'cut-off' mark should correspond to the minimum requirements of each band. So say, if they look at the papers, and decide that a paper with a raw mark of 67 generally satisfies the minimum requirements for band 5, then 67 will be aligned to 80. Then if, for example, 75 is determined to satisfy the minimum requirements for band 6, they will align 75 to 90. Everything in between the cut-off marks for each band will be aligned evenly (from memory). So because 67 and 75 raw marks (in this example) are like 80 and 90 aligned marks, half-way between the raw marks (71) will correspond to an aligned mark half-way between band 5 and 6 (85). Hope that makes sense.... heh, I didn't realise I typed so much :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
taxman said:
The thing people must remember is that scaling is there to even things out. People complain about poorly scaling subjects...but they only scale poorly because it's easy to achieve good marks. The same stands in reverse.
Not quite...scaling considers the ability of the candidature of a particular course. Therefore, in a higher scaling subject it's more difficult for a student of average ability to gain an average rank in that course.
Aligning, however, considers the difficulty of the individual exam paper and resolves any variations in the difficulty of an exam in the one course between successive years. Aligned marks cannot be compared between subjects, but only within the same subject for different years.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
queenie said:
are u serious? Is this definite? Like, did the student pay for the raw marks?
I thought bio stays bout the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)